Breed to NOT use

Help Support CattleToday:

Floyd":3h1amgfx said:
Yes, there is a problem with highlands... one cannot JUST take them to the auction. There has to be some marketing involved.It appears this is outside the box thinking for some here.

I know every board has an ignore feature. I just want to thank some of you for the motivation to help me find it on this board.

Pink, I reckon you can sell'em to other Highland breeders otherwise around this area they're about as worthless as those Oreo cattle...basically worthless. Now you can add me to the ignore list....(actually its' called the enemy list". :cowboy:

Floyd":wnlq1ttz said:
Yes, there is a problem with highlands... one cannot JUST take them to the auction. There has to be some marketing involved.

It appears this is outside the box thinking for some here.

I know every board has an ignore feature. I just want to thank some of you for the motivation to help me find it on this board.

Other than grazing 70% slope (which is a specialty trait that most of us don't need) what benefit could I expect from using highland in a three way cross? It seems to me that they don't come in polled so that is a disadvantge imo...also, having to specialty market them is a disadvantage imo as well. I asked which breeds to not use in a three way cross. Someone named highland and you really haven't said anything that would make me think otherwise. I'm not trying to be rude, it seems you are upset and think people are bashing your breed. I'm sure they are very beneficial in some areas...but I'm looking for most areas.

mrgreen":24u79hr3 said:
Wonder what the cape buffalo population of Africa would look like in a few years if we dumped about a hundred head of Jersey bulls out over there. :mrgreen:

Or dump a load of BA bulls out there. Eventually the Africans will not eat them until all of the Capes are black.

TexasBred":3413axzp said:
Floyd":3413axzp said:
Yes, there is a problem with highlands... one cannot JUST take them to the auction. There has to be some marketing involved.It appears this is outside the box thinking for some here.

Pink, I reckon you can sell'em to other Highland breeders otherwise around this area they're about as worthless as those Oreo cattle...basically worthless. Now you can add me to the ignore list....(actually its' called the enemy list". :cowboy:
a little music to help lift the spirits... buenas noches :cowboy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLa8rgEa ... re=related

3waycross":fbbzk65p said:
Alan":fbbzk65p said:
MO_cows":fbbzk65p said:
Don't be so over-sensitive!! They are your cows, man, not your children. And as far as that 70% slope,does this answer your question?
hill_grazing_Tar.jpg

Sorry, the 70% slope has my mind stuck on that, so I feel the need for a :bs: I appears the cows in the pic are on a 45% slope or close to. That's 45 degrees from straight up and down, maybe a cow can do 20 degrees from straight down with some climbing gear.

There now my mind is not stuck, it's back to it's normal fuzzy and dazed.

Alan
You run out of NITS to pick?

3way are you picking on me? My uneducated mind was under the impression 70% and 70 degree slope are the same. Now that I have been corrected, it's still a heck of a slope, and a 70% slope is best left to mountain goat ......... And now thanks to Jeffmills517 I'm smarter. Until I forget it :D

Alan

Floyd, I raise Dexters. Those of us with Dexters and Highlands have to face the fact that these are minor breeds that do well for certain people in certain situations. Their historical, heritage value is wonderful and we should strive to promote that. They have their place in the cattle world, but it is not in the same ring as the commercial beef animals. For starters, they have horns, and that's a given no-no in the commercial arena. Sale barns are going to discount anything small, anything with horns. Most 4H groups will not permit horns anyway. If you get tired of this breed, you can't just load them up and sell them next Saturday at the local sale barn. No point in getting all bent out of shape about it, it's just a fact.

Promote your breed where it will succeed. Those of us with minor breeds don't strive to produce a calf crop that all look alike. We deal in INDIVIDUALS, not groups. And it's not easy to market personalities in today's cattle world.

I must tell you the American Highland Cattle Association has a lovely website and they've got some great PR going there; take advantage of it. Work with the ALBC to promote your Highlands as heritage animals; set up a pen at a Scottish festival and let the public see them (make sure you take well-handled ones) -- believe me, people will get a real charge out of seeing them in person. Enjoy the fact that your Highlands need no special protection in nasty, sub-freezing temperatures; you can't possibly imagine how many times I've seen my little Dexter calves out in the cold icy rain, wishing they had the impenetrable coats of your Highlands. If the beef is excellent, market that to individuals who want to fill their family's freezer. Unassisted calving, great (and there is absolutely nothing cuter than a Highland calf)! Oak leaves and brush, hmmm, even I'd have trouble with that (a lot of Dexter people believe their "hardy little cattle" can make it on bark and berries).

What I'm trying to say that you can still participate here without a breed chip on your shoulder. Health care, forage issues, hunting, pets, sports -- there's plenty to select from here without feeling you're at the bottom of the dung heap.

they do, but like horses and donkeys, I believe their F1 crosses are sterile (not sure if that's both males and females?)

your question about what breed to leave out of a 3 way cross... well, how about telling us what you're considering for the other 2 to start with... I have a crosses of Herf/Saler/SH/RA/Gelbvieh, and I'd readily leave out the RA in it rather than what most people would probably recommend (Saler I'd guess), I'd leave out the Herf without much thought either, but in our case we started out with a pretty miserable bunch of herf cows which didn't help their reputation for us... All that being said, with the SH and Salers, you'll end up with bigger cows, if you want frame 5's, you won't get them. they'll probably mostly be frame 7s. I think I will be sticking to a SH/Saler/GV rotation, though I might consider a red Limo or Simm in place of the Saler and Gelbvieh respectively, I think many people on the boards here have a RA/GV/SH 3 way cross and I think they look fine

there you have my $.02 in 200 words lol

The Highland breeders here in the UK market their cattle to high dollar niche markets as grass fed or organic, as they are low maintenence and not put into barns (and fed) the costs are very low even with a longer finishing time, and they do well on poor mountain grazing with little input.
expensive hobby":3rzbb5g3 said:
mrgreen":3rzbb5g3 said:
Wonder what the cape buffalo population of Africa would look like in a few years if we dumped about a hundred head of Jersey bulls out over there. :mrgreen:
Or dump a load of BA bulls out there. Eventually the Africans will not eat them until all of the Capes are black.
As already stated, the Buffalo, both African and Asian are genetically incompatable, there is already a large Angus population in the southern African states, as well as the native Drakensberger breed which is also black (long before the itroduction of Angus!)
http://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/photos ... d=12557238

Gale Seddon":1exo5d7n said:
shaz":1exo5d7n said:
Why do ALL miniature donkeys look like Ted Koppel?

Who you callin' Ted Koppel?
Muddy2-01.jpg

Yeah, I'm stuck in Japan on the weekend and I just come up with crap like that when I'm REALLY bored. When I get back to Tn I going to kiss the ground. :(

Man, it sux over here. The people are cool but, good lord,........it's friggin ant hill. I've never seen such population density. :shock:

Well, Shaz, sorry you're unhappy and bored.

I had to wonder about the comment when there was no connection to the thread so I thought I'd carry it on....that donkey is named Muddy and he was 7 months old at the time of the photo. He's now 11 years old and quite a charming fella!

Gale Seddon":kn8jioef said:

I had to wonder about the comment when there was no connection to the thread so I thought I'd carry it on....that donkey is named Muddy and he was 7 months old at the time of the photo. He's now 11 years old and quite a charming fella!

My real name is "Shaz" but recently Gale has been calling me "T.K." for some reason... :lol2: :lol2:

Gale Seddon":19n1vdn2 said:

The comment was made to lighten things because there was some bickering going on.
Guess what, it worked. ;-)

shaz":2z0tcdpl said:
Gale Seddon":2z0tcdpl said:

The comment was made to lighten things because there was some bickering going on.
Guess what, it worked. ;-)

As stated previously that kind of speech will jinx the peace. ;-)

Latest posts