Bred cows price outlook?

Help Support CattleToday:

About half of my pasture is tillable. I ran some numbers a month ago - - and the highest 2012 income estimate was to sell some cows and plow up some pasture. Too bad the kids don't like to pick rocks anymore... ;-) Plan to renovate two paddocks after one year of corn.

I recently seen an advertisment in the Fargo ND area,124 commercial cross bread heifers, 1,000-1050 lbs, asking 1800.00.
Seems most are in that 1300-1650 range for bred heifers to young bred cows.

Just had a bunch of bred cows go through our local sale barn yesterday and had astronomical prices! A group of Brangus heifers/young cows brought $1675 each! We have a "small" market here and the prices always seem to be lower than "average" so they went for super-high by our standards! Wowza! Heck, killer cows are selling for more than we used to pay for good bred cows!

Interesting , so far our bred heifer and cow market is just starting as the big push is calves . The first sale bred heifers went 1350-1500 , not much change from last year on the same ranches cattle . Some older cows and short term cows went for 925 ,right about the same as last year.