Fertile cows or what?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ebenezer, this is what I was talking about in my earlier post. This technique of teasing is/was common in smaller mammals like sheep and goats, but not cattle. A herd that runs with bulls year round would have this bio-stimulation effect from the day each cow calves. Herds with a defined breeding season would only have bulls in 85 days after the start of calving season. Only cows calving 85 or more days after the original start of calving season would be effected at all. Vasectomized bulls or testosterone treated cows would need to be used in defined breeding herds to use this effect.

I turn the bull out around July 15th every year to get calves in late April from cows that have calved in late April or first part of May. I got one late this year that calved 7/21 last year and is still got a week or two before calving this year.

Ebenezer, this is what I was talking about in my earlier post. This technique of teasing is/was common in smaller mammals like sheep and goats, but not cattle. A herd that runs with bulls year round would have this bio-stimulation effect from the day each cow calves. Herds with a defined breeding season would only have bulls in 85 days after the start of calving season. Only cows calving 85 or more days after the original start of calving season would be effected at all. Vasectomized bulls or testosterone treated cows would need to be used in defined breeding herds to use this effect.
That's very interesting. I did run long yearling steers with the cows last year. Could that have done anything ya think?

I'm planning to do a hard cow cull again this fall if prices will get right. If not, next year. Been kicking around the idea of running a bull for 45 days to help me decide who stays.

Got 11 heifers from 2022, thought about running bull for 30 days on them and sell the opens. I may not have grass enough to do all this though. Leaning towards selling most of them this month.

The problem with cows calving in 10 months is that she has weaker colostrum for her newborn, and it takes a toll on the cow. Generally, she won't last as long.
Cows do better if they are allowed a rest period between weaning and calving.

I keep my bull 6 months at each place. Ideally I want March calves. And late September calves.
Weather is my main concern.

I do have several cows that if your leave a bull year round, will breed back on the first cycle every time. Not all of mine will do that.

Like was said above, a defined calving season vs a year round calve whenever deal. I prefer a "season". Makes for a more uniform calf crop too! Mostly I'm shooting for gathering calves only twice a year vs one or two or 5 calves. Several times a year. Fooey (phooey?) on that!

The problem with cows calving in 10 months is that she has weaker colostrum for her newborn, and it takes a toll on the cow. Generally, she won't last as long.
Cows do better if they are allowed a rest period between weaning and calving.
That makes sense to me. I've got them on as good nutrition as I realistically can. That's about all I can do given their location.

Makes me hope they kicked their 2022 calves well in advance of me separating them. Really didn't pay attention. Based on the calves reaction I'm thinking most were weaned. That helps some.

I keep my bull 6 months at each place. Ideally I want March calves. And late September calves.
Weather is my main concern.

I do have several cows that if your leave a bull year round, will breed back on the first cycle every time. Not all of mine will do that.

Like was said above, a defined calving season vs a year round calve whenever deal. I prefer a "season". Makes for a more uniform calf crop too! Mostly I'm shooting for gathering calves only twice a year vs one or two or 5 calves. Several times a year. Fooey (phooey?) on that!
Definitely a fan of a season myself. Havent owned a bull since 2020 thankfully. Lol. Going to have to find one here soon. Would like to find a good one to lease for a couple months. Hopefully there is such a thing nearby.

Definitely a fan of a season myself. Havent owned a bull since 2020 thankfully. Lol. Going to have to find one here soon. Would like to find a good one to lease for a couple months. Hopefully there is such a thing nearby.
Good morning!
I made a thread here a while back about about a bull my buddy bought at the sale barn to breed 4 cows.

No matter how ya do it....
Have that bull semen checked!!
His was a wreck. Worked out anyway as he sold his old cows for slaughter while prices were climbing. Cheap insurance on the BSE

Good morning!
I made a thread here a while back about about a bull my buddy bought at the sale barn to breed 4 cows.

No matter how ya do it....
Have that bull semen checked!!
His was a wreck. Worked out anyway as he sold his old cows for slaughter while prices were climbing. Cheap insurance on the BSE
Top of the marnin to ye!

I learned my lesson on that the hard way two years ago. Bought an AI bull from family. He drank Bud Light I'm pretty sure. He is the reason I calved in August/September last year. Should have been April/May. Thankfully I have an awesome neighbor with a battery of bulls. Would like to find a bull with less leg to use this go round.

Top of the marnin to ye!

I learned my lesson on that the hard way two years ago. Bought an AI bull from family. He drank Bud Light I'm pretty sure. He is the reason I calved in August/September last year. Should have been April/May. Thankfully I have an awesome neighbor with a battery of bulls. Would like to find a bull with less leg to use this go round.
Never ever use a short bull. Short cows can be improved easier.

Never ever use a short bull. Short cows can be improved easier.
I think i articulated that wrong. I just dont like the tall ones. They don't stay fat like the opposite. Short and stocky would suit me fine. Nothing extreme.

The bull I used for 2022 calves was a smaller frame than any I've used so far, but pretty dang thick. I really liked his build.

Since 1972 I have kept a bull with the cows year round. Every two or three years I go without a bull over the winter.
It has been a general rule that 1st calf heifers lose a month, cows in their prime gain a month. As they get older they go to 12 months between calves. When they start losing a month or two as they age, I sell them.
I reset the calving date when I go a winter without a bull and keep back heifers.
Most all my calves come in February and March. They creep up to December and Jamuary when I keep a bull two or three years.
General rule but remarkably true over the years.

one thing about it, if you leave a bull in year round and say youve got 40 cows. you might sell 45 weaned calves that year off those 40 mamas haha. i do have a 10 year old cow thats had 11 calves

Had to bring two pair home today. Neither are nursing. Pretty sure this guy nursed on its birthday. However, he hasn't eaten since. Had 2 quarts last night and again this morning. Ate them like a champ. Went downhill quickly today. Holding his head up last time I was back there.

The other cannot find the teet. Keeps going for the flank. She is bright eyed though. Ate a bottle of milk this morning like a champ. Ate 3 pints of electrolyte stuff this evening.

The problem child responded pretty good this evening to being tubed 2 quarts of electrolytes. Treated him for a scratched eye and scours just in case. Also gave him a shot of dex. Im debating taking them some milk tonight before I go to bed.

Hopefully this guy is up and moving again in the morning. He's Granny's calf too. Big time bummer.

Attachments

• 20230709_203103.jpg
    20230709_203103.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Well, that sucks. We have enough worries and work without happily calving them out - then have to take care of calf later. Hope they are brighter this morning.
This little fella didn't make it to midnight last night. Went back about 11 and he was laid out on his side not really breathing, cold and stiff mouth/tongue. I put him in the recovery position and he gasped a couple times, let out a stressed little moo twice. Within 5 minutes he was gone. 😔

The little red heifer is doing good though. About to go feed her. Going to try to get her on Mommas milk this evening now that they're close to a chute. Wish me luck.

Really looking forward to not calving cows anymore here soon.

Last edited:

Latest posts