Trick or treat?

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
So in doing our herd check this evening all calving cows accounted for and no new calves. They aren't really due to start for another week so not a surprise but we have had an early calf already ( a cross bred) so we thought nothing would surprise us. Well..... out in the main field where the steers and the later to calve cows are there was a brand new calf. What's odd is this cow was AI'd twice. She was bred on a good synchronization heat and then rebred when she showed a strong heat again at the next heat time. 2 different bulls. Sexed bull the first time and conventional the second time. The calf is a 68# full Angus bull calf. She honestly doesn't look "empty" post calving but doesn't look bred unless it's another low birthweight calf. Hard to tell just hours post calving anyways. She hasn't even passed the placenta yet. I have read on here that a few members over the years have had 2 calves born to the same cow a heat apart. Has me wondering if that will happen in this case. So for those who have had this possible outcome happen did the cow take both calves and all was well or was there issues? Seems there would be issues that could arise. Debating on palpating her in the coming days to see if I can tell if there is another calf in there.
Trick or treat! Happy Halloween everyone!

Friend of ours had a cow calf 3 or 4 days apart. She accepted the first calf until she had the second calf then she rejected the first calf and she accepted the second calf

Friend of ours had a cow calf 3 or 4 days apart. She accepted the first calf until she had the second calf then she rejected the first calf and she accepted the second calf
Interesting. That's opposite what I would have thought. Interesting. If this plays out (not likely) I will watch out for that. If it's 2 to 3 weeks apart that would mean a fight to get the older calf on a new cow or bottle.
Thanks for the info!

Latest posts