Cows are mad

Help Support CattleToday:

sunnyblueskies

Reaction score
Just trying to see what you guys would think is going on.

Since everyone discussed Docility in a different thread I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys think about this.
So our herd is out on 'pasture' all year round. Even in the winter they are fed out on the field, they never get penned up other for calving issues, medical issues or sorting. Which means they are not really handled often either. Regardless of that, there is nobody 'dangerous' in the herd usually unless it's calving time and there are a few known 'don't touch my new calf or I will kill you' cows. Overall I can't complain much about them.
Going through the last winter though we noticed a lot more fighting going on between the cows, to the point of 2 or 3 horned cows breaking off horns as a result of the fights. Even feeding, cutting off twine in the field isn't a calm relaxing affair anymore, cows are more aggressive to get to the feed first, others get pushed out of the way etc.
Now we are calving since about 5 weeks and even there cows are more aggressive this year during the tagging. Some just plain nuts and highly dangerous.
The herd was not starved on feed, so it's not a feed jealousy.
Predators could be the next point of reason, but I saw a coyote right in the herd the other day catching mice and the cows didn't even lift an ear.
My husband tried to tag a new calf yesterday, started without problems, then another cow picked a fight with the new mother (not a heifer) and the new mom freaked out to the point of attacking everybody and everything. Had to bring in the tractor to finish processing the calf and stay somewhat safe. After we were done she rammed everything even coming close to her and her calf, including other calves. This morning all is good again and she didn't do a thing while I 'kicked her calf in the butt' to get up and get away from a fence.
I don't understand. Why is everyone in the herd so on edge these last few months. What could the reason be?

cows have a "pecking order" just like a flock of chickens. My guess is that your dominate cow is getting old and a younger member of the herd is trying to take over her spot at the top. I consider my cows as pretty docile and are generally around me the year around. I did have cows act somewhat like you described when I hauled my obviously dominate cow because she was getting too mean to herd mates and calves that where not hers. I would keep an eye on them and see if they settle down here shortly.

No introduction of new cattle, even then herd pecking order is quickly established, cows fighting to the point of breaking off horns is unusual. I'll withhold my smart alec comments a few days until others make reasonable comments before sending thread off its rails.

Since everyone discussed Docility in a different thread I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys think about this.
So our herd is out on 'pasture' all year round. Even in the winter they are fed out on the field, they never get penned up other for calving issues, medical issues or sorting. Which means they are not really handled often either. Regardless of that, there is nobody 'dangerous' in the herd usually unless it's calving time and there are a few known 'don't touch my new calf or I will kill you' cows. Overall I can't complain much about them.
Going through the last winter though we noticed a lot more fighting going on between the cows, to the point of 2 or 3 horned cows breaking off horns as a result of the fights. Even feeding, cutting off twine in the field isn't a calm relaxing affair anymore, cows are more aggressive to get to the feed first, others get pushed out of the way etc.
Now we are calving since about 5 weeks and even there cows are more aggressive this year during the tagging. Some just plain nuts and highly dangerous.
The herd was not starved on feed, so it's not a feed jealousy.
Predators could be the next point of reason, but I saw a coyote right in the herd the other day catching mice and the cows didn't even lift an ear.
My husband tried to tag a new calf yesterday, started without problems, then another cow picked a fight with the new mother (not a heifer) and the new mom freaked out to the point of attacking everybody and everything. Had to bring in the tractor to finish processing the calf and stay somewhat safe. After we were done she rammed everything even coming close to her and her calf, including other calves. This morning all is good again and she didn't do a thing while I 'kicked her calf in the butt' to get up and get away from a fence.
I don't understand. Why is everyone in the herd so on edge these last few months. What could the reason be?
Could be a change in season maybe coming out of winter, or as @Dsth said maybe a pecking order situation, but I'm not sure if either of those scenarios would cause more of the cows to be more aggressive than usual about protecting their calves.
I'm wondering about the predator angle too. I have noticed over the last several years our cows are more aggressive at calving time to the point that it's a majority of them now instead of just a few.
We are covered up with coyotes, and black buzzards. The buzzards are the biggest threat at this point. I can almost time the heighten aggressiveness to a particular year that we started having quite a bit of black bear activity around.
A bit before we started noticing bear activity, we found a several weeks old calf with a major and odd injury. It died soon after, and around that time found a weaned calf dead, and eaten on, which was extremely odd for us. Nothing else after that as far kills or injuries, but the presence of bears began to be very common. We noticed that the herd would be split into small groups here and there instead of being together as usual. I read that that was a sign of the presence of bears. After that summer and fall the presence of bears hasn't been as active, though we usually have a sighting or two every once in a while.
The cattle have herded back up normally now, but definitely more cows are aggressive at calving including some that were once easy to work around. I quit trying to work calves at birth.

The only time my girls get fired up is with a drastic weather change, fighting before calving, fighting to establish pecking order, a lot of blood (like from an injury), an earthquake or something random that spooks them. For your entire herd to change demeanor, I'd look into a possible health issue or the aforementioned predator(s) that you may not realize has moved into your territory. Do you have a problem with anaplasmosis in your area? It's a blood borne disease but neurological and can turn a sweet cow into a beast (although that's usually in the last stage, before they die).

No introduction of new cattle, even then herd pecking order is quickly established, cows fighting to the point of breaking off horns is unusual. I'll withhold my smart alec comments a few days until others make reasonable comments before sending thread off its rails.
But but but but......... you are going to withhold wise comments? LOL Now I'm scared you'll blame it all on me.

No there were no new cattle introduced.

Pecking order maybe........ I'll have to think on who was shipped the last 2 years who could have been boss.
Predators......... bears are for sure out and about now, we do have wolves in the area even though I've never run into one around our place, cougars move through every now and then, but don't linger.
You can rule out bears during the winter though, so I don't know about predators.

The herd is only handled by 2 people, we didn't do anything different.
Thinking about it........... there is a 3 year old with horns which has become a pain in the rear. She knows she has horns and knows how to use them. Maybe she is part of the problem and started a tidal wave of aiming for a higher position?

Cows and Canadians crave guidance and need leadership to survive.
After her 70 year reign Queen Elizabeth died leaving a vacuum in what they crave and a few months of grieving is natural.
But as time dragged on without crowning the new King they grew restless and acted out, much like young children.
Now that the coronation has passed, they'll settle down and once again all will become contented Canadian cattle. :)

Last edited:
After her 70 year reign Queen Elizabeth died leaving a vacuum in what they crave and a few months of grieving is natural.
But as time dragged on without crowning the new King they grew restless and acted out, much like young children.
Now that the coronation has passed, they'll settle down and once again all will become contented Canadian cattle. :)
Does this apply to Australians as well? God save the King.

Ken

This is why when I'm president I'll be annexing Saskatchewan and Alberta.

Latest posts