percentage of sterile cows..what percent of cows are sterile? read it could be 1 out of 10

Help Support CattleToday:

RNW

Reaction score
percentage of sterile cows..what percent of cows are sterile? read it could be 1 out of 10...any info..opinions

percentage of sterile cows..what percent of cows are sterile? read it could be 1 out of 10...any info..opinions
In my An Sci classes they said we should expect to average an 87% calf crop. But that included all reasons including birthing losses, etc. Of course that was in the early seventies...

Still, I doubt stats have changed much. I think with the selection procedures employed most often today I'd be surprised if the percentage hasn't declined.

Good one!!
If they're cows, they had to be fertile once at least, right?😆
As kids we showed in 4H. We showed against a big named family at the time that had a "heifer" that they paid a lot for as a show animal. They showed her for 4 years as a heifer because she was sterile. The judge was a buddy of theirs and the "heifer" won most years.

I remember that every time an outfit is reluctantly selling one of their great donor cows as "open and ready to flush". Fool me one, shame on you. Fool me twice... No thanks!

As kids we showed in 4H. We showed against a big named family at the time that had a "heifer" that they paid a lot for as a show animal. They showed her for 4 years as a heifer because she was sterile. The judge was a buddy of theirs and the "heifer" won most years.
Eek. Not cool.

When I went to the AI class they talked about how many show cattle had very poor fertility. People kept trying to ask about how to AI their show animals and they finally had to adress it and say... these stats do not apply to show animals. 😄 They had a little side class for them. It was wild to hear how the stories from show people.

Latest posts