Black Herefords Question

Help Support CattleToday:

City Guy

Reaction score
I keep getting sale catalogs from Black Hereford breeders and the BH Association. Don't know why. When and how did Herefords become black? How are they different from Black Baldies? I could just look it up, but I'm too lazy.

City Guy":2pkojtuh said:
I keep getting sale catalogs from Black Hereford breeders and the BH Association. Don't know why. When and how did Herefords become black? How are they different from Black Baldies? I could just look it up, but I'm too lazy.

Why are they sending you info?

Just another marketing ploy...I have watch some of their sales and have seen better black baldies at our local auctions compared to what they were trying to sell as breeding stock.

The breed of the future! Dump every dime you have into them! Way over due. Sell a couple of kids or something.

Okay do a search on CT and see most folks thoughts on them, they are barely different then a baldy.

Near as I can tell, a group of people like the Hereford pattern, but wanted to make the overlay color black, not red --- and so, it wasn't anything fancier than crossing blacks with Hereford until the desired color pattern was achieved. I sorta think about them as being "baldy plus" (but the jury is still out on the "plus" part of that description). Nothing more than a name brand mutt, near as I can tell. The "yorkipoo" or "goldendoodle" of the cattle world, if you will.

Aaron":3fogl73l said:
Your better off with a BA and Hereford F1 cross than those inferior mongrels.
But gee, then you couldn;t get fancy registration papers proving how superior they are!

Is the same said for all breeds? Black sims seem pretty accepted and common place nowadays, much more so than black hereford anyways.

Its tough to find info on who and when the originals were when turning animals black. There's general descriptions stating it was the 'early 90s', but someone has to know the specifics. Black hereford reg was started in 94, so they weren't much different in age.

There is nothing wrong with F1 black baldies or true red Herefords. Sims on other hand, needs to change and I'm glad they did change Sims.

Recently I saw an ad and I see many bulls has red gene and there's few solid black Hereford as well. I was like why??

Supa Dexta":4c27j05j said:
Is the same said for all breeds? Black sims seem pretty accepted and common place nowadays, much more so than black hereford anyways.

Its tough to find info on who and when the originals were when turning animals black. There's general descriptions stating it was the 'early 90s', but someone has to know the specifics. Black hereford reg was started in 94, so they weren't much different in age.
They started their own registry as the world Hereford Associations wouldn't recognize the breed.
There is no advantage to the " composite " actually disadvantage as the calves like the hybred vigor of the F-1.
This was about hair color that doesn't bring a premium today as when the get rich scheme was hatched

dun":ie9lzfpg said:
Caustic Burno":ie9lzfpg said:
This was about hair color that doesn't bring a premium today as when the get rich scheme was hatched
BINGO
:nod: :nod: :nod:

It's ironic that red Herefords are still in huge demand. Hard to find females for sale here and lot of red Hereford bulls went to Angus ranches for crossbreeding. Few Hereford farmers have a black Angus bull running with their cows.

I realize it was chasing colour. But I meant sims and herefords went black about the same time, but black sims are accepted and black herefords are still looked at as a bad fad.. Myself included, but then again I don't care for herefords the best of times - just not for me.

Supa Dexta":3dklq34q said:
I realize it was chasing colour. But I meant sims and herefords went black about the same time, but black sims are accepted and black herefords are still looked at as a bad fad.. Myself included, but then again I don't care for herefords the best of times - just not for me.

Maybe that shows that the Hereford breed can stand on their merits. And the Sims needed a color change to compete with the Angus. There's no denying that a SimAngus is far superior to the Simmental.

True Grit Farms":1qp0o2zw said:
There's no denying that a SimAngus is far superior to the Simmental.
That's what makes a horse race. Differences of opinion

True Grit Farms":xxutd8cy said:
Supa Dexta":xxutd8cy said:

Maybe that shows that the Hereford breed can stand on their merits. And the Sims needed a color change to compete with the Angus. There's no denying that a SimAngus is far superior to the Simmental.
There are three essential breeds in the USA Angus,Hereford and Brahman rest are filler with Brahman being most essential as Brahman influence cattle contributes 80% of the global beef production.

http://www.brahman.org/PDFs/Utilizing-B ... ystems.pdf

Not a fan of either one. But the gigantic difference between SimAngus and Black Hereford is with Black SimAngus anyone could take a registered Angus and breed it to a registered Sim and create your own cows or bulls and register them. It allowed development in different climates on different grass. Using Angus genetics that worked in that particular area and Sim genetics that work in that particular area. And then if you decided you could bring them together.

With Black Hereford it is my understanding you can only use the bulls or cows that the founders of the organization approve. No doubt that if given enough time if people across the country could breed any reg Angus to any reg Hereford in time you could come up with a very acceptable breed that would work. I think you would come up with the mother cow for north of I-40 eventually. And you could take those and breed to Chars Salers Sims Lims, Gelbv, Maines, Chi's etc. But limiting the breed pool to not very good seed stock at the beginning has sent them down the road they are own. Well that and greed imo.

Caustic Burno":2me6gqxa said:
True Grit Farms":2me6gqxa said:
Supa Dexta":2me6gqxa said:

There are three essential breeds in the USA Angus,Hereford and Brahman rest are filler with Brahman being most essential as Brahman influence cattle contributes 80% of the global beef production.

http://www.brahman.org/PDFs/Utilizing-B ... ystems.pdf
It's a no doubt that Angus and Hereford are dominant breeds in United States but I view Brahmans as a secondary breed just like the mainstream continental breeds (Simmental, Limousin, Charolais and Gelbvieh) but I have no doubts that Brahman is dominant in the South.

Latest posts