Black Hereford question

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S

Reaction score
I'm curious about how the black Herefords came about. I assume they added some Angus to them to get them black, but if so does anyone know how much? I'm not knocking them; just curious. I bought a few heifers from a friend this fall. They're from Brangus cows and a Black Hereford bull, and other than a little white on one of them's bag they're all solid black. I'm surprised there isn't more white on them.

They bred registered Hereford to register black angus then bred the subsequent generation to Herefords selecting by color. They formed the black hereford association and when they reached reached a percentage they decided were registerable as black herefords

As far as I know they're just angus x Hereford. We always called them black baldy. I suppose it's to help market them and get more $$. Maybe I should x a bunch of angus and Charolais and call them Changus and start my own breed.

I know a coulple have some black Hereford cows bred to a Simangus bull. They got mostly solid black calves and only two calves had some white on their face. Both of us were surprised about it. That two white faced calves got sold & .78 cents higher than their solid siblings at the sale barn two months ago. The couple wanted black baldies, not solid blacks.

TennesseeTuxedo":ig51tmqr said:
WalnutCrest":ig51tmqr said:
{unintended hijack deleted}

I really hate I missed that Walnut.

:unsure:

"How about crossing Aubracs and Simmentals; you could call them Au-simms!"

:unsure:

...now back to your originally scheduled program on the creation of Black Herefords...about which I know nothing worth contributing here...

piedmontese":g8qh1awi said:
As far as I know they're just angus x Hereford. We always called them black baldy. I suppose it's to help market them and get more $$. Maybe I should x a bunch of angus and Charolais and call them Changus and start my own breed.

I think the difference is that the "Black Herefords" are homozygous blk.

At one time I thought that the only pure breeds whould be,perhaps, herefords and holsteins but was wrong again. I was given to understand by noted breeders of the gelbvie's and simmentals several years ago when I foolishly comented that their black's could'nt be registered rather they were composite's, that I was wrong and that there was only enough angus in them to change their color. Which was a puzzle to me, as I grew up to long ago when if a animal had even the slightest drop of some other blood it was not pure. A puzzle to me is , sitting in the sale ring and a bunch of black hided steers come in and they are called salers, gelbvie, simmental, or some other breed and then the few reds that follow them in are sort outs, when all the purebreds[registered] that came here a few years ago were all red's or red and whites.Guess we can just change everything or anything to fit whatever we want.It is like saying that our president is Afro--American, when in my mind he is indeed only1/4 and 1/2 white and 1/4 muslim. Which by definition makes him caucasian whether anybody likes it or not.

:secret: :secret: :secret: dammmmm this is hard, really! Just a ........ :secret: :secret: :secret:

They are just black baldies!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :secret: :secret: :secret:

Welcome to Kansas City! ......... Okay I tried to shut up!

Beef Man":95samugl said:
At one time I thought that the only pure breeds whould be,perhaps, herefords and holsteins but was wrong again. I was given to understand by noted breeders of the gelbvie's and simmentals several years ago when I foolishly comented that their black's could'nt be registered rather they were composite's, that I was wrong and that there was only enough angus in them to change their color. Which was a puzzle to me, as I grew up to long ago when if a animal had even the slightest drop of some other blood it was not pure. A puzzle to me is , sitting in the sale ring and a bunch of black hided steers come in and they are called salers, gelbvie, simmental, or some other breed and then the few reds that follow them in are sort outs, when all the purebreds[registered] that came here a few years ago were all red's or red and whites.Guess we can just change everything or anything to fit whatever we want.It is like saying that our president is Afro--American, when in my mind he is indeed only1/4 and 1/2 white and 1/4 muslim. Which by definition makes him caucasian whether anybody likes it or not.

So what's your point?

Ok I got a question about black Herefords? Everyone knows you got black baldies out of red herf and black angus matings, but why we are not seeing more white faced calves in the matings of black herf and black angus? I have always thought that white face gene is dominant?

Probably selecting for pigmented eyes has changed the percent of white face. I do like goggle eyes and end up with some calves every yr that have patches on face. I do think that if we (Hereford) breeders keep breeding for more pigment that we will see more of the same as this.

Rafter S":2djjq3cb said:
I'm curious about how the black Herefords came about. I assume they added some Angus to them to get them black, but if so does anyone know how much? I'm not knocking them; just curious. I bought a few heifers from a friend this fall. They're from Brangus cows and a Black Hereford bull, and other than a little white on one of them's bag they're all solid black. I'm surprised there isn't more white on them.

The resulting calf is now a "Black Hereford HT" :D

OakCreekRanch":32l7t4tg said:
Ok I got a question about black Herefords? Everyone knows you got black baldies out of red herf and black angus matings, but why we are not seeing more white faced calves in the matings of black herf and black angus? I have always thought that white face gene is dominant?
Breed regression so the angus face is returning over the white face of the Hereford, particularly if the black hereford is only 87% or less Hereford

OakCreekRanch":qmoki8lg said:

The white face is dominant; and if the one parent is homozygous for white face, it will stamp all its offspring whith it. This is the case with real Herefords, bred systematically for a certain coluor for a long time.

The black "hereford" may have genes for a non-white face without anoone noticing untill it is mated with for example pure angus cows. If the bull is in fact heterozygous, roughly half of the calves
will be white-faced. :2cents:

If someone has a goal to selling the black baldy calves for the sale barn, he/she is better off using red herfs than black herfs? Is that correct?

Latest posts