Black Baldies

Help Support CattleToday:

black

Reaction score
Is it better to make Black Baldies by using Angus cows with Hereford bulls,or Hereford cows with Angus bulls?

i would think the angus cows herfy bulls, but it would depend on the individual cows you have available. so i suppose i am not much help.

The baldie itself will be the same if the angus is the father or mother.
More than anything else it becomes a question of availiability of good cows, most places herefords are a little cheaper than angus, and in some places angus are easier to get.

Ideally, in easier conditions I'd prefer angus cows with hereford bulls, in tougher conditions I'd go with hereford cows and angus bulls.

In real life I'd use whatever cows I have and use the bull of the other breed.

Well in my opinion...........If you want black baldies (from angus and herefords)

The herefords are generally sought after for the hereford/brahma cross. As the f1 tigerstrips generally bring a larger premium over the f1 black baldie, those breeders can pay up for the hereford cow. Good hereford cows seem to be hard to find around here...might not be the case where you are. No dispute which one is going to have an eye problem... And when the time comes to sell equal condition cows to slaughter, the angus is going to bring more than the hereford (again that is around here)....Pretty much the way I see it as I've had them both....and now have Brangus.

slick4591":awskyith said:
If you retain baldy heifers what do you put on them for the better calves?

Blk Gelbvieh bulls, Blk Sim bulls, Blk Balancers, Blk Simangus.

slick4591 said:
If you retain baldy heifers what do you put on them for the better calves?[/quote. Depends on whether you are going to retain ownership, or put pounds on the ground.......... If it's pounds on the ground. If it's pounds it would be a fullblood continental breed or Brahman to obtain maximum hybrid vigor

houstoncutter":1fw657g9 said:
slick4591":1fw657g9 said:
If you retain baldy heifers what do you put on them for the better calves?

Depends on whether you are going to retain ownership, or put pounds on the ground.......... If it's pounds on the ground. If it's pounds it would be a fullblood continental breed or Brahman to obtain maximum hybrid vigor

It's pounds. A friend is looking at some baldy heifers to buy and was asking me how to breed them. I didn't know, but knew y'all would.

Latest posts