best weight for butchering

Help Support CattleToday:

larry

Reaction score
i have an angus bull calf thats around 650 -700 lbs. what is the best weight to butcher and what would be the correct thing to finish his feeding off with . I plan to age him around 25 to 30 days for tenderness.

For the most part alot of this is personal preference. I am no expert on this, but I would turn that bull into a steer, get him up to anywhere from 900 to 1100 lbs. I'd be inclined to "finish" him about the last 60 - 90 days on grain (corn, soybean meal,a club calf type sweetfeed, whatever your choice) and free choice hay and water (pretty much no grass). I would have him hang no more than 20 days. Just my personal choice. Many people do this many different ways.

Katherine

larry":qa6ef982 said:
i have an angus bull calf thats around 650 -700 lbs. what is the best weight to butcher and what would be the correct thing to finish his feeding off with . I plan to age him around 25 to 30 days for tenderness.

If ya hang that critter 25 to 30 days you may lose more than its worth. That is an awfully long time. I know my butcher would charge a pretty good fee to do that and would probably advise against it. You see, another term for "aging" would be decomposition. A more descriptive word would be rotting. :???: Even in a cooler there is a limit on what ya can get away with. If proper feed is administered, 14 days should be plenty of hang time for any steer. Some claim rolled milo makes beef more tender. Mine get pure cracked corn and good brome hay for the last 70 days or so of their lives. Never had any complaints on taste or tenderness either one. Good luck.

There is a thread entitled "How long should I let her hang" that you should probably look at.

george

I have had a number of calves butchered. They hanged from 7-16 days. I can tell very little difference. They were/are all superb. Most of it is in the genetics of the animal and how they are fed. If you work them up to full feed, using a sweet feed with corn in it, and limited hay, feeding them at least two to three months, you will have good results. This is IF you have the genetics. I have numerous customers who say I'm doing it right. I had a good grilled sirloin tonight, cut with a fork. I butcher only Herefords and their crosses. I feel I get as good marbling as anyone (My butchers confirm this) while having less excess back and rib fat than I've watched others produce.

As far as what weight, that totally depends on the calf and if you want it "finished". Some people butcher them shortly after weaning (not that I advise this). Each animal has the capability to reach a certain weight, depending on genetics, nutrition, & management.

If your "bull" is about 6-8 months old and weighs that, he should have the genetics to finish at 1200-1300#. But if he is 12 months old & weighs that, you might finish him at 950#. Normally, cattle grow to a certain point, depending on their individual facts, than they start putting on fat. So no one can tell you how much he should weigh for you to butcher him.
7-14 days is plenty of hang time. Enjoy.

I agree about fixing the boy into a steer. Wt is not the only criteria we use, but certainly is one. The other is the amount of external fat he is putting on. When we start seeing some fat depositing in the tail head area and the brisket, and the critter is about the right wt he is ready. We generally feed to 1200-1250 lb for Angus influenced medium frame animals.

We get bulk feed which contains per ton: 239 lb soybean meal; 498 lb cotton seed hulls; 854 lb of crimped corn; 325 lb of oats; some Ca carbonate 31 lb; salt 30 lb; Vit E Pak, ADE/Sel Plex, 5 lb Fastrack (a probiotic pack) and 32 lb molasses. Works well for us. This runs about $160 per ton in bulk , 3 ton minimum.

We feed 2-3% of body wt and adjust over time, we plan for a feeding cycle of five to six months duration to get to 1200-1250 lb.

There was a study that suggested taking animals off grain three days before slaughter and offer them water and hay to reduce the toxic E. Coli in the manure. We do this also to let them empty out the rumen, and they loose about 100 lb over this time so the actual wt the day they arrive at the meat plant has averaged 1150 lb. Also Fastrack may also reduce toxic E. Coli numbers in manure?

The science seems to indicate max effect of aging on meat quality occurs at around 14 days, with a very slight increase up to 21 days. We routinuely hang for 17 days.

Billy :cboy:

Latest posts