Best Cattle Crosses For Unassisted Calving

Help Support CattleToday:

rocfarm

Reaction score
Question.

I live quite a distance from my land. If I want to minimize dystocia in my cattle, is the best method to buy older cows and put heifer bulls on them that are small framed?

What crosses tend to have the lowest percentage of calving problems? Is it just dependent on small frame bulls and a low birthweight epds?

If you are real concerned about calving issues, maybe a longhorn or Corriente bull, but that will sacrifice considerable growth and be docked at sale time too.
If it were me, I would go with fairly young cows and an Angus bull of average frame, not too small and probably not the biggest either. with breed average or lower BW, and a CED of 7 or higher.
As far as breeds or crosses I'd stick to Angus, Hereford or BWF cows.

Others have given you good advice, and you've got several different options. I see you are in Texas. If it were me I would get some BrahmanX cows and breed to an Angus bull. You would still get marketable feeder calves and the heifer calves would make nice replacements. The eared cows will typically calve unassisted and take good care of their calves. There would be less chance of pinkeye as well, since you live quite a ways away and may not be able to check on them as frequently.

Question.

I live quite a distance from my land. If I want to minimize dystocia in my cattle, is the best method to buy older cows and put heifer bulls on them that are small framed?

What crosses tend to have the lowest percentage of calving problems? Is it just dependent on small frame bulls and a low birthweight epds?
You can overthink this...

Older cows with any kind of decent frame and no birthing problems should be able to handle just about any kind/size of calf. That's one of the reasons I bought older cows to raise replacement heifers. I've never liked raising replacement heifers from cows that were the result of bulls bred to be easy calving.

But I would always use bulls on my heifers and less than 4th calf cows that were easy calving.

So it depends on what kind of cows you have.

As to easy calving bulls to cross with? Anything with a small head in relation to body size. Longhorns and other horned breeds in general. Of course small framed cattle like Corriente and Jersey. But you'll take a hit on sale day.

I've lost more animals due to calves being badly positioned than to their size. And I've lost more small-at-birth calves than those that were born large.

Last edited:
Others have given you good advice, and you've got several different options. I see you are in Texas. If it were me I would get some BrahmanX cows and breed to an Angus bull. You would still get marketable feeder calves and the heifer calves would make nice replacements. The eared cows will typically calve unassisted and take good care of their calves. There would be less chance of pinkeye as well, since you live quite a ways away and may not be able to check on them as frequently.

I'm also in Texas, and probably not too far from you. I agree with the recommendations above about using good sized mature cows and don't worry too much about the bull, as long as it isn't one that throws unusually large calves.

I wouldn't argue with the suggestion highlighted above from @A.J., but Brangus cows with a medium frame Hereford bull would be another good option (and they won't be as pricey as Brahman cross F1's). That cross will also produce desirable replacement heifers and marketable feeder steers.

Question.

is the best method to buy older cows and put heifer bulls on them that are small framed?
No, the best method is to buy bred cows 3-4 yrs old bred to same breed calving ease bull.

Older open cows have the lowest fertility rates... of course if they never calve...
zero calving problems.... hmm problem solved. :) lol

I never saw what you have for facilities at the land in question. You might produce more pounds per acre with preconditioned
calves than with 3-4 year old cows which are going to take back pocket money to buy. A dead calf has a terrible rate of gain and
the weaning weight is even worse. To the extent time and resources permit pick the sale barn you intend to market your stock
and spend some time at the sales. Sit down where you are close to the cattle and try to develop an eye for weight and price.
With practice your skills will improve and when the time comes you will have the ability to bid with confidence. Set your price and
never chase a bid. You will be ok. Work with what you know and apply that knowledge to any advice with a grain of salt,
including mine. good luck!

It might very by area but my Limousin moms are built for calving ease, I've bred them to a full range of Angus bulls and they consistently spit out 68# calves. I used to weigh them all, cow stands up and calf falls out and grows like a bad weed. It's been working for me.

If you are real concerned about calving issues, maybe a longhorn or Corriente bull, but that will sacrifice considerable growth and be docked at sale time too.
If it were me, I would go with fairly young cows and an Angus bull of average frame, not too small and probably not the biggest either. with breed average or lower BW, and a CED of 7 or higher.
As far as breeds or crosses I'd stick to Angus, Hereford or BWF cows.
Agreed. Wouldn't mind going with a corriente bull or even cows, except every time I look at the young ones for sale on Cattle Range they look like they can run and jump like deer. Worried about rounding them up, even though I cube and put out tubs during winter to keep them at the right rumen balance and used to coming into the corral. From what I've watched on DV Auction, I'd agree you are spot on on the Hereford/Angus cross, except in Central Texas a touch of Brahman seems advisable. But the Brahman are also more kiddish. Thanks for the CED 7 comment. That helps.

Corriente angus cross if you can't make it very often to check on them.
I have calved a lot of corriente heifers and never had to pull one.
That's an interesting idea. Don't want straight corrientes, but I think I can get crosses at the auction and then put a beef bull back on them. Thanks.

Neighbor breeds a bunch of heifers to Wagyu. That eliminates calving issues according to him. The problem is after the calf is born. Some of those calves really lack in ability or desire to thrive. To me that is a bigger issue than birthing.
Wagyu cattle are not range cattle in my opinion. If you check out the way they raise them in Japan, they tend to keep them more like hogs in a pen than cattle out in a pasture. That long genetic history can probably be diluted and made to fit Texas over time, but not for an amateur rancher like myself:).

There is no need to be that concerned with calving to start breeding corriente and LH cattle. A good composite with ear like Brangus and a moderate framed Angus bull is VERY safe and will not cost you at the sale barn.
Would rather keep corriente and LH at only half my momma cow genetics if possible. The do get heavily discounted at my local sale barn.

No, the best method is to buy bred cows 3-4 yrs old bred to same breed calving ease bull.

Older open cows have the lowest fertility rates... of course if they never calve...
zero calving problems.... hmm problem solved. :) lol
Probably agree. This seems like the best way to go, but 3-4-year-old do go for a premium, so the corriente cross seems appealing as well, especially if they don't have many calving problems. You are right about needing to pay attention to fertility rates. I'm hoping just to hit 80%, but the pros seem to consistently get around 92% or above.

I never saw what you have for facilities at the land in question. You might produce more pounds per acre with preconditioned
calves than with 3-4 year old cows which are going to take back pocket money to buy. A dead calf has a terrible rate of gain and
the weaning weight is even worse. To the extent time and resources permit pick the sale barn you intend to market your stock
and spend some time at the sales. Sit down where you are close to the cattle and try to develop an eye for weight and price.
With practice your skills will improve and when the time comes you will have the ability to bid with confidence. Set your price and
never chase a bid. You will be ok. Work with what you know and apply that knowledge to any advice with a grain of salt,
including mine. good luck!

Don't have enough time to do the stocker method, but it would definitely be an option if I had more time and money. Got a decent place with good soil (better average than much of the county land around) and around 150 acres. Rainfall is the limiting factor (Texas in drought more often than not). Got decent fences and a coral, but no chute yet. Already been proven that I can winter them on cubes or tubs (more expensive for tubs) and stockpile. Will rotate them through 6 paddocks. Interior and exterior fences are good, but don't want any cattle that will constantly test fences. Seems like, over the long term, fences can't be paid for right now. Figure I'll be working for free when it comes to fence maintenance.