Angus. I don't get this...........

Help Support CattleToday:

upper 2/3 CH or PR, fine texture, 10-16 rea, <30 months, no dairy or brahman influence, no dark cutters, in practice less than 4% unacceptable eating experiences (compares to 10% for reg Ch and 20% for Se). Yep, some pretty low standards.........

="ALACOWMAN" , nope not right, its their ball game their responsible for quality of the product

I agree, CAB is responsible for both the quality and the integrity of the product, and while the quality standards have insured a high quality eating experience, the integrity of the CAB brand is obviously questionable. If the brand name was QB (quality beef) then there integrity would be intact, but the name is CAB and yet the reality is that it may or may not be Angus beef even though it is good eating beef. You can't call a product something it may or may not be and at the same time pretend to be representing a product with integrity. If you buy a Ford you are pretty sure it's a Ford, not maybe a Ford.
If CAB doesn't really care if CAB is Angus then call it something else, if in fact they do care that CAB is Angus then do something about it. It isn't rocket science.

In a 2002-2004 study conducted by the Iowa Tri-County Steer Carcass Futurity, high-percentage Angus cattle from 12 states fed at eight Iowa feedlots returned $67.93 more per head than low-percentage Angus cattle due to carcass and performance advantages. Feedlot average daily gain (ADG) improved as percentage of Angus increased, and net carcass premiums were almost $30 more per head for high-percentage Angus cattle.

Wonder why a premium is being paid just because it has a black hide? I'm no Einstien, but I can't beleive that the number chasers at the feed lots are willing to give extra money for something that doesn't have a greater return. With less than 3% of all cattle slaughtered in the US capable of even qualifying for CAB, don't bet on any cattle from the salebarn ever making the cut. I would be willing to bet most, if not all, CAB qualifying beef comes from private treaty sales, where the genetics are no secret.

Kingfisher":23w90lvq said:
I was there buying calves split off of broken mouths and nothing else.
Ha. That is an interesting nook. So what did you end up with? How many were you able to or should I say how
were you able to get em " split off?" Thanks in advance. Is it a little chilly today out there? :)

Bought just enough to cover my nurse cow. One was a bit older than I wanted but she grafted just fine.

A pair with a cow having good teeth do not get split. A cow with teeth in bad shape gets split from her calf and sold. Calf goes seperate. The ring man does it and gets more for the pair this way. Its been going on for years.

robert":8idxaw8n said:
upper 2/3 CH or PR, fine texture, 10-16 rea, <30 months, no dairy or brahman influence, no dark cutters, in practice less than 4% unacceptable eating experiences (compares to 10% for reg Ch and 20% for Se). Yep, some pretty low standards.........

You forgot YG 37 or higher

I sell a lot of boxed beef every week for the last 28 years. Those standards for a "Premium" beef program are as common as flys on a dead hog.

BTW one of the best programs I have ever sold was Sysco Imperial boxed beef and it was ALL Holstein......and North of the OK border nobody knows what Brahmam influence is anyway. So that's a moot point...........and no one would ship a dark cutter anyway. I have seen maybe one piece of dark cutter in thousands of cases over the last 28 years.

So basically the spec is Upper 2/3's choice and not found on the road dead of old age.(other causes ocassionally acceptable.) :cowboy: :tiphat:

Oh! I'm sorry I forgot the really important one. 51% Black Hided...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LORDY LORDY WHERE'S FRANKIE WHEN YA NEED HER?

Note to Robert. Please take this in the spirit in which it was intended....................mostly joking, but not completely! :banana:

the YG specs were ditched a couple years ago, why? because YG has zero to do with eating quality, it is only a measure of retail yield, which ultimately the consumer doesn't give a rats rear end about.

If it were not for CAB the opportunity for real carcass premiums would be a whole lot less than they are today.

backhoeboogie":wmigbraq said:
Kingfisher":wmigbraq said:
I was there buying calves split off of broken mouths and nothing else.
Ha. That is an interesting nook. So what did you end up with? How many were you able to or should I say how
were you able to get em " split off?" Thanks in advance. Is it a little chilly today out there? :)

Bought just enough to cover my nurse cow. One was a bit older than I wanted but she grafted just fine.

A pair with a cow having good teeth do not get split. A cow with teeth in bad shape gets split from her calf and sold. Calf goes seperate. The ring man does it and gets more for the pair this way. Its been going on for years.
They also get split when a packer buys the cow and resells the calf........They get split for any number of reasons, bad eye - bad bag - and probably the biggest reason is nobody wanting them as a pair........

With less than 3% of all cattle slaughtered in the US capable of even qualifying for CAB, don't bet on any cattle from the salebarn ever making the cut. I would be willing to bet most, if not all, CAB qualifying beef comes from private treaty sales, where the genetics are no secret.[/quote]

Good morning. Anybody know what percentage of all cattle are sold at sale barn ? Where are all the black ones going then?

not right, its their ball game their responsible for quality of the product[/quote]

Good morning. Is the product the beef in the store or the black cow on the hoof?

A pair with a cow having good teeth do not get split. A cow with teeth in bad shape gets split from her calf and sold. Calf goes seperate. The ring man does it and gets more for the pair this way. Its been going on for years.[/quote]
They also get split when a packer buys the cow and resells the calf........They get split for any number of reasons, bad eye - bad bag - and probably the biggest reason is nobody wanting them as a pair........[/quote].................that,, and the barn dont want to give away a free cow, with the purchase of a calf :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":10t66jn4 said:
They also get split when a packer buys the cow and resells the calf........They get split for any number of reasons, bad eye - bad bag - and probably the biggest reason is nobody wanting them as a pair........[/quote].................that,, and the barn dont want to give away a free cow, with the purchase of a calf :cowboy:[/quote]

Last few sales I went too it seemed almost all the pairs were split. They brought more money that way. And if the cow was short bred it added a few more buyers into the mix.

Kingfisher":1sxo4lay said:
With less than 3% of all cattle slaughtered in the US capable of even qualifying for CAB, don't bet on any cattle from the salebarn ever making the cut. I would be willing to bet most, if not all, CAB qualifying beef comes from private treaty sales, where the genetics are no secret.

Good morning. Anybody know what percentage of all cattle are sold at sale barn ? Where are all the black ones going then?[/quote]

The is a lot more than 3% being marketed as CAB every store or resturant has CAB sign. There is not that many Angus.
This would be an amazing feat as the US cow herd has been in decline for the last several decades.

TexasBred":2jiw9w0t said:
ALACOWMAN":2jiw9w0t said:
They also get split when a packer buys the cow and resells the calf........They get split for any number of reasons, bad eye - bad bag - and probably the biggest reason is nobody wanting them as a pair........
.................that,, and the barn dont want to give away a free cow, with the purchase of a calf :cowboy:[/quote]

Last few sales I went too it seemed almost all the pairs were split. They brought more money that way. And if the cow was short bred it added a few more buyers into the mix.[/quote] ive seen it to ,,,hooked up as a pair they will bring 100+ less.. but seperate em, all of a sudden the calf turns to pure gold and sometimes brings as much as the moma

ALACOWMAN":2t1k61mo said:
TexasBred":2t1k61mo said:
ALACOWMAN":2t1k61mo said:
.................that,, and the barn dont want to give away a free cow, with the purchase of a calf :cowboy:

Last few sales I went too it seemed almost all the pairs were split. They brought more money that way. And if the cow was short bred it added a few more buyers into the mix.[/quote] ive seen it to ,,,hooked up as a pair they will bring 100+ less.. but seperate em, all of a sudden the calf turns to pure gold and sometimes brings as much as the moma[/quote]

So as a buyer can you stop that ? "all of a sudden the calf turns to pure gold and sometimes brings as much as the momma[/quote]"
That makes me think " What are ya'll stupid?" :)

Kingfisher":2qht9nz2 said:
With less than 3% of all cattle slaughtered in the US capable of even qualifying for CAB, don't bet on any cattle from the salebarn ever making the cut. I would be willing to bet most, if not all, CAB qualifying beef comes from private treaty sales, where the genetics are no secret.

Good morning. Anybody know what percentage of all cattle are sold at sale barn ? Where are all the black ones going then?[/quote]

Maybe where you live that's true. But I watched 1500 calves go thru the sale here a few weeks ago and probably 1200 of them were Blk hided and heavily Angus influenced. What do you think they did with them take them to the Excel and kill them and grind them for MacDonalds.

NOT, they hauled them to KS to background for a few months then to the feedlot and then to Excel to be graded as to whether or not they qualified for CAB or Sterling or to Swift to see if they made 1855 brand.

I am not saying there are not a lot of cattle that skip the sale barn I know a Rancher who sold 1.3 million dollars worth of calves right off the ranch last year, but he is one of a very few around here who has that luxury.

even if the cow is ""iffy""" like shes ran her productive course,,, they will split and weigh the cow .... and sell the calf by the head... you try to sell em as a pair sometime the cow will keep the price down when they will bring more seperately

ALACOWMAN":26hpuluq said:
even if the cow is ""iffy""" like shes ran her productive course,,, they will split and weigh the cow .... and sell the calf by the head... you try to sell em as a pair sometime the cow will keep the price down when they will bring more seperately

were they angus?

3waycross":2eya6jhe said:
ALACOWMAN":2eya6jhe said:

were they angus?
aint gonna catch me bitting the hoof thats been feeding me lately... :p

also if they have an old cow with a calf on her,an no 1 bids on the pair.then they are split,an the cow goes to the kill pen.then the calf is sold by the head or pound.

Latest posts