Angus. I don't get this...........

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
Good morning. I see the banter here toward Angus and follow it from time to time. I caught the end of last night " Angus show"
How can someone promoting a " Breed" exclaim over and over that " if it has a black hide" you too can benefit at the sale barn.
To me that would be letting someone in the Porsche club with a " kit car" and then telling him " your car has as much value as our Porsche"
With that sort of logic anything black must be good?

Kingfisher":2zksetx7 said:
Good morning. I see the banter here toward Angus and follow it from time to time. I caught the end of last night " Angus show"
How can someone promoting a " Breed" exclaim over and over that " if it has a black hide" you too can benefit at the sale barn.
To me that would be letting someone in the Porsche club with a " kit car" and then telling him " your car has as much value as our Porsche"
Bingo, that's why in many areas blacks outsell all other colrs. The possibility of going CAB

ive been noticing that for awhile,but i havent said anything.have yall ever noticed how meny other pure breeds that angus has partnered with.an thats ok if they feel they need the other breeds to promote their breed.all breeds of cattle can grade choice an choice select an prime.because its how they are fed an handled.mind you im not bashing the angus breeders.right now black is the hot fad,heck even beefmaster has gone black.i dont follow the color fads.i buy well bred cattle i can make money on.an yes i run a black beefmaster bull.only reason being is he is a home raised bull.

Kingfisher":1rzy0q4w said:

I don't "get it" either and don't choose to play this game.

One thing to keep in mind is that games with non-logical rules (such as black hide color is automatically superior beef) eventually seem to fade as, in the children's story, the masses realize that "the King has no clothes".

Then we will get back to breeds competing on quality on the plate and other meaningful criteria (disposition, calving ease, cost of production, yield, tenderness, taste, etc). Maybe Angus excel in those areas. But just because an animal is black hided means nothing. This truth will come out eventually although with enough promotion dollars it can probably be delayed a long time.

When it is on your fork at the dinner table, hide color is not important. jmho.

Jim

bigbull338":1aesalek said:
ive been noticing that for awhile,but i havent said anything.have yall ever noticed how meny other pure breeds that angus has partnered with.an thats ok if they feel they need the other breeds to promote their breed.all breeds of cattle can grade choice an choice select an prime.because its how they are fed an handled.mind you im not bashing the angus breeders.right now black is the hot fad,heck even beefmaster has gone black.i dont follow the color fads.i buy well bred cattle i can make money on.an yes i run a black beefmaster bull.only reason being is he is a home raised bull.

How do you make a Beefmaster black? Can we see a picture of your Bull? Thanks in advance.

If "black hides" are just a fad...it sure has been a long running one. Hubby tried to tell me over 10 years ago that I was making a mistake going Angus, just a short lived fad he said! Hmmm still selling bulls for $1500-$2500 and bred heifers for $2000 to comercial buyers. Awesome fad don't you think?
Valerie

Kingfisher":193y6wi0 said:
bigbull338":193y6wi0 said:

How do you make a Beefmaster black? Can we see a picture of your Bull? Thanks in advance.

Do you reckon there's some Angus blood in the woodpile? surely not ;-)

vclavin":sa06ofmq said:
If "black hides" are just a fad...it sure has been a long running one. Hubby tried to tell me over 10 years ago that I was making a mistake going Angus, just a short lived fad he said! Hmmm still selling bulls for $1500-$2500 and bred heifers for $2000 to comercial buyers. Awesome fad don't you think?
Valerie

I am selling bulls and heifers for the same prices except they are RED not black........ :banana:

just because an animal has a BLACK hide does not mean it will be accepted as CAB but any animal accepted by CAB MUST have a black hide
Actually most other breeds that have crossed with Angus have done so to improve marbling or milk or other characteristics
They also know that the feedyards prefer the Angus influenced cattle because of the consistancy across the grid that Angus brings
as for an animal of a different breed being black hided more than likely that black hide came from Angus influence somewhere sometime unless it is a dairy cross

most people on this forum bash angus consistently and they can say this and that bad about them but when I look at the bottom line Angus has consistently brought me more $$$ in my pocket
as for it being a fad is like saying John Deere Tractors are a fad
Angus has got to where it is because some real smart advertising people made it a household name just like was done with John Deere 60+ yrs ago

people that don't know anything about cows or tractors recognize these names and therefore the AAA and JD have done more for their products than any other company or breed association

TexasBred":3fqfxsvf said:
BUT...the angus folks themselves created this monster.

Well TB.....

as an angus breeder I was on board when it was created.....
I find my self at odds with my association now as they refuse to see the need for improving the criteria.
The CAB program apparently has become a bigger cash cow for the association than the angus business.

bigbull338":2knklrrp said:
Angus hasn;t "partnered" with the other breeds, they've all "partnered" with angus (the black variety mostly.
Simangus, Balancer, etc. all put angus in their gene pool, angus didn;t put any of the others in theirs.

Jovid":nc24to2i said:
vclavin":nc24to2i said:
Valerie

I am selling bulls and heifers for the same prices except they are RED not black........ :banana:

Good Deal!! Competition is good for the genetic base...don't you think?
I keep a red cow in the herd ..RA in her background and an awesome 11 year old cow. Had doc check her teeth and he told me she was 8 years old .. ;-)

Valerie

Angus Cowman":2eo5p077 said:
just because an animal has a BLACK hide does not mean it will be accepted as CAB but any animal accepted by CAB MUST have a black hide
Actually most other breeds that have crossed with Angus have done so to improve marbling or milk or other characteristics
They also know that the feedyards prefer the Angus influenced cattle because of the consistancy across the grid that Angus brings
as for an animal of a different breed being black hided more than likely that black hide came from Angus influence somewhere sometime unless it is a dairy cross

most people on this forum bash angus consistently and they can say this and that bad about them but when I look at the bottom line Angus has consistently brought me more $$$ in my pocket
as for it being a fad is like saying John Deere Tractors are a fad
Angus has got to where it is because some real smart advertising people made it a household name just like was done with John Deere 60+ yrs ago

people that don't know anything about cows or tractors recognize these names and therefore the AAA and JD have done more for their products than any other company or breed association
like the folks with a john deere tag on the front of their vehicles... that dont even own one

TexasBred":1rhh1hnc said:
BUT...the angus folks themselves created this monster.

If, by "monster" you mean "cash cow" then, indeed they did. :nod:

Strangely, my two best heifer calves on the ground this year are from an ABS red limi . . . :roll:

Well, thankfully they'll still be black!! :banana:

Valerie
Hello. Can you show me what a $2000 bred heifer looks like? Thanks in advance.

Kingfisher":2e6r3bjo said:
Valerie
Hello. Can you show me what a $2000 bred heifer looks like? Thanks in advance.
:lol: id rather see the picture of the person that paid for it

Latest posts