Angus. I don't get this...........

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259":3asd2p2d said:
TexasBred":3asd2p2d said:
BUT...the angus folks themselves created this monster.

If, by "monster" you mean "cash cow" then, indeed they did. :nod:

Strangely, my two best heifer calves on the ground this year are from an ABS red limi . . . :roll:

Well, thankfully they'll still be black!! :banana:

lolol, maybe I used the wrong word. You see those little thin necked, pot bellied, funnel butted things (my dad used to call ethnic cattle) and some idiot buys it. By the way Angus...I'm breeding some Brangus to a black limi this winter too..might knock enough ear off and add enough a$$ to pass as long legged angus.

Its always interesting reading comments on here about angus, and sometimes its hard to argue with them. I dont believe that their cattle are superior to other breeds but their association is. Im not sure if other breed asociations will be able to do what the AAA has done, but I sure hope they try.

TexasBred":3rqnzqjc said:
lolol, maybe I used the wrong word. You see those little thin necked, pot bellied, funnel butted things (my dad used to call ethnic cattle) and some idiot buys it. By the way Angus...I'm breeding some Brangus to a black limi this winter too..might knock enough ear off and add enough a$$ to pass as long legged angus.
Just to throw in a couple nickles-----------I sold a few calves last week. Some black hides and some red hides....Not usually the norm but the red hides brought the most $ per pound and the most $ per head. All were Brangus/Hereford cross.

TexasBred":3tgc1njm said:

I'll tell you what . . . I put that limi semen in a couple "test" cows that hadn't thrown that great for me - they were on the cull bubble. My two worst producers put down my two best heifers. Now, two calves does not a trend make, but I'll try it again. And - most interestingly - these two calves have the best disposition (I will now pause to let people comment about what the disposition of my angus must be if limi can improve it . . . ) but I'll definitely try it again.

Sadly . . . to the point of this thread . . . . most of my bull customers want a bull that is guaranteed to throw black. Not exactly sure what to do about that dilemma yet.

I'll tell you what . . . I put that limi semen in a couple "test" cows that hadn't thrown that great for me - they were on the cull bubble. My two worst producers put down my two best heifers. Now, two calves does not a trend make, but I'll try it again. And - most interestingly - these two calves have the best disposition (I will now pause to let people comment about what the disposition of my angus must be if limi can improve it . . . ) but I'll definitely try it again.

Sadly . . . to the point of this thread . . . . most of my bull customers want a bull that is guaranteed to throw
black. Not exactly sure what to do about that dilemma yet.[/quote]

Now you let the cat out of the bag. Homo black limousin bull on them angus cows will guarantee your costumers black calves.

Red Bull Breeder":1dcomqtd said:
Now you let the cat out of the bag. Homo black limousin bull on them angus cows will guarantee your costumers black calves.

And capitulate to this black hided hysteria? NEVER!! Well . . . maybe just this once . . . :roll:

1982vett":3923lcn8 said:
TexasBred":3923lcn8 said:
Just to throw in a couple nickles-----------I sold a few calves last week. Some black hides and some red hides....Not usually the norm but the red hides brought the most $ per pound and the most $ per head. All were Brangus/Hereford cross.
If that's what brings the premium in your market that is definitely what I would be raising.

I have heard of alot of people getting away from the angus fad.One man got away from black went to braford cows with char bulls.Another went to char cows with a red limmi bull.does anyone else hear of these things happening.Im sure the angus association has undercover agents looking out in the fields.this could be a reason to keep going with this accepting all black hided cattle BS.I will not ride the black hide train.My brahman influenced cattle pay my bills just as good ,sometimes better then black.

pdfangus":2urlol79 said:
as an angus breeder I was on board when it was created.....
I find my self at odds with my association now as they refuse to see the need for improving the criteria.
The CAB program apparently has become a bigger cash cow for the association than the angus business.

Emphasis mine. This now makes sense! The looser the criteria (last I heard 51% Angus and black - the other 49% could be just about anything as long as it the color is black) the more cattle that qualify and the more nickels in the kitty...! And then the more ads and well-produced videos with folks on horseback in pretty country you can run touting the superiority of "Black-hided" cattle...

Maybe I do get it now.

Jim

I figure the "fad" will end when the public becomes aware that black cattle are less heat tolerant. Animal welfare angle. I'm surprised more hasn't been made of it. Thousands died in feedlots this summer and color had to be a factor. Here's how to rebel against the black, and avoid lack of eye pigment while you're at it. British White heifers I got, half sisters a year apart:

IMG_2044.jpg

Black color as an indicator of quality is certainly a fad that has run its course.
Because the color is not as good an indicator of quality as it was twenty years ago.
not a comment on the quality of the angus......
a comment on the widespread adoption of the color.

The hulahoop and pet rock were fads. Black cattle are just a progression, much like Herefords were a long while back and crossbreeding using Herefords is starting to be again.

cattle like british whites, fullblood chi's, marchianga etc that have black HIDES and white hair should qualify as angus.

All black (and red for that matter) angus cattle contain a gene that regulates the production myostatin, a chemical that limits the growth of muscle in cattle and promotes more fat growth. In Angus cattle, the gene produces more myostatin than in most other breeds. More myostatin = more fat production. Angus also have genes that control how the fat is dispersed, i.e., is it marbled, or is it deposited in clusters or on the back. These genes in the angus tend to promote fat deposition as marbling. Other genes prevalent in angus cattle control how fast and well the protein fibers in the meat break down during the aging process. Angus beef is not just in such high demand due to advertising. It's mostly due to the quality. I've raised and eaten numerous beef breeds and nothing I've tried compares. Herefords are a close second, but they also have genes set up to produce more myostatin.

Black cattle fetch 20 cents more a pound here at the auction, and it's not JUST because of the color of their hides. It's because there's a higher probability that black cattle will possess right genes that will produce meat that will grade out better and sell for more. The people I hear complaining about the higher cost of black cattle are the very same ones who are bidding more for them at the stock sales :roll:

SirLoin":k386mghn said:
All black (and red for that matter) angus cattle contain a gene that regulates the production myostatin, a chemical that limits the growth of muscle in cattle and promotes more fat growth. In Angus cattle, the gene produces more myostatin than in most other breeds. More myostatin = more fat production. Angus also have genes that control how the fat is dispersed, i.e., is it marbled, or is it deposited in clusters or on the back. These genes in the angus tend to promote fat deposition as marbling. Other genes prevalent in angus cattle control how fast and well the protein fibers in the meat break down during the aging process. Angus beef is not just in such high demand due to advertising. It's mostly due to the quality. I've raised and eaten numerous beef breeds and nothing I've tried compares. Herefords are a close second, but they also have genes set up to produce more myostatin.

Black cattle fetch 20 cents more a pound here at the auction, and it's not JUST because of the color of their hides. It's because there's a higher probability that black cattle will possess right genes that will produce meat that will grade out better and sell for more. The people I hear complaining about the higher cost of black cattle are the very same ones who are bidding more for them at the stock sales :roll:
Here I thought my new freezer beef customer and a few current ones were just "telling me" they thought our beef was more tender than their previous supplier. WOW, thanks for the insight.
Valerie

Latest posts