Simmental or Herford

• Simmental

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • Herford

Votes: 34 55.7%
  • Other

Votes: 7 11.5%

• Total voters
I've been doing a lot of research, and still haven't found anything that said Brah crosses with British breeds was better than a cross containing Continental breed and not British.
Do you know of any to point me in the right direction?

sim.-ang.king":i0lkv8q5 said:
I've been doing a lot of research, and still haven't found anything that said Brah crosses with British breeds was better than a cross containing Continental breed and not British.
Do you know of any to point me in the right direction?
Data from the MSU link I posted search cross breeding cattle has weaning weight comparisons KSU and FSU both have lots of data along with the Overton test station.
The more genetic difference the greater the yield in hybrid vigor that is the simple
reason Hereford Brahman cross express the most, they are the farther apart than any other two breeds genetically.
For the same reason Hereford and SH are the closest yielding the least.
I had a ton of links on my old laptop that died and I am to stupid to figure out how to
copy the links on this iPad.

Lazy M":1v05ql2w said:
Sorry professor. I just can't get myself to blindly follow the wise teachings of academia I need to test theories myself. Enjoy the conferences.

You can educate ignorance you can't fix stupid.
I going to choose to think your just ignorant.
Academia sure has lead us in the right direction for the last half century
in genetics to epds guess they had that wrong as well.

Caustic Burno":350f3lk6 said:
Lazy M":350f3lk6 said:
Sorry professor. I just can't get myself to blindly follow the wise teachings of academia I need to test theories myself. Enjoy the conferences.

This stupid ignorant Hillbilly still has heavier calves than you :lol: but please continue to insult me

All I ever could ever find was comparing between British breeds on Brahman, Euro breeds were never brought into the mix.

http://www.nbcec.org/topics/BeefBreeds.pdf

According to this research, unless you were using Line 1 Herefords, you could go either way. Modern Herefords, and Alp breeds are about the same distance from Brahman.
And if you want to get down to the nitty gritty, the Hereford source cattle are closer related to the Brahman source cattle, than Euro source cattle.

So I guess it really comes down to personal preference, doing what you want to do, and believing what you want to believe.

Lazy M":2n6wu9ys said:
Caustic Burno":2n6wu9ys said:
Lazy M":2n6wu9ys said:

This stupid ignorant Hillbilly still has heavier calves than you :lol: but please continue to insult me

Never going to happen in a test station on the same forage like Overton the only paper
You will have for your back pocket is toilet paper mine will be cash.
I changed my opinion on ignorance when did you get your first herd last year?
I am at the end of this his journey not the beginning the one constant in the cattle industry is change or die.

sim.-ang.king":10vdtbta said:
All I ever could ever find was comparing between British breeds on Brahman, Euro breeds were never brought into the mix.

According to this research, unless you were using Line 1 Herefords, you could go either way. Modern Herefords, and Alp breeds are about the same distance from Brahman.
And if you want to get down to the nitty gritty, the Hereford source cattle are closer related to the Brahman source cattle, than Euro source cattle.

So I guess it really comes down to personal preference, doing what you want to do, and believing what you want to believe.

http://bookstore.ksre.ksu.edu/pubs/c714.pdf

Caustic Burno":2cv67s7b said:
sim.-ang.king":2cv67s7b said:

You're on the cutting edge with 25+yr old research..
Once again I'm not discounting the benefits of planned breeding utilizing crossbreeding. I was only trying to stress that selecting quality animals is the most important factor in improving your herd.
Now go ahead and call me stupid again..

Caustic Burno":2ig9qigr said:
sim.-ang.king":2ig9qigr said:

Well that one says, according to the chart, that for yield, growth, and milk production, you should be crossing with Euro's, and Brahman, and not British.
It also said that Brah influenced cattle do worse in the high plains, and anywhere that has cold winters, because of high death loss, and lower efficiency.

Still comes down to what fits your fancy, and what sells.

sim.-ang.king":2ks2lvfm said:
It also said that Brah influenced cattle do worse in the high plains, and anywhere that has cold winters, because of high death loss, and lower efficiency.

:nod:

Brahman influenced simply didn't work here unless they're 3/16th brimmer.

Muddy":13pmcgyx said:
sim.-ang.king":13pmcgyx said:

You just want to argue instead of look up the facts.
Never told the young man to use Brahman said it makes a difference in the bull you pick
in a cross breeding system as there are breeds that compliment each other.
Not this Willy nilly approach in bull selection.

Better call Greely Colorado and Amarillo let them know cause that is where the majority of these Brahman cross calves drawing a premium wind up.

Lazy M":2oljenpd said:
Caustic Burno":2oljenpd said:
sim.-ang.king":2oljenpd said:

You're on the cutting edge with 25+yr old research..
Once again I'm not discounting the benefits of planned breeding utilizing crossbreeding. I was only trying to stress that selecting quality animals is the most important factor in improving your herd.
Now go ahead and call me stupid again..

Apparently you didn't read the link from 2011.
Them boys at MSU will fool you lot smarter than they look.

Caustic Burno":1wypl4bp said:
Muddy":1wypl4bp said:
sim.-ang.king":1wypl4bp said:

Never told the young man to use Brahman said it makes a difference in the bull you pick

Better call Greely Colorado and Amarillo let them know cause that is where the majority of these Brahman cross calves drawing a premium wind up.
So you're comparing Texas and Colorado with mild winters to North Dakota and Minnesota with subzero arctic winters?

All we just said find a quality bull regardless of what breed. Simmental, Hereford, limousin, gelbvieh, Charolais and the black composites they cross with black Angus excellent and their calves will do excellent at the sale barns.

Caustic Burno":re0116qx said:
Muddy":re0116qx said:
sim.-ang.king":re0116qx said:

You find some Braham cross calves here in the lots, not as many as before but they sure didn't draw a premium when they were bought as feeders. I know feeder buyers for the lots in this area.

Brahman influenced simply didn't work here unless they're 3/16th brimmeruu.[/quote]

Better call Greely Colorado and Amarillo let them know cause that is where the majority of these Brahman cross calves drawing a premium wind up.[/quote] So you're comparing Texas and Colorado with mild winters to North Dakota and Minnesota with subzero arctic winters?

All we just said find a quality bull regardless of what breed. Simmental, Hereford, limousin, gelbvieh, Charolais and the black composites they cross with black Angus excellent and their calves will do excellent at the sale barns.[/quote]

No the point is out of the top ten feedlots in the USA our calves are standing side by side.
With exception of the two in Idaho.
The buyers are no fools they know what they can discount regionally and what they can't.
You can't hardly give away an Angus or SH cow here they will be the low sellers in the barn.
Why is simple the buyers know that back to the farm buyers don't want them.
There not discounting because of the breed it's because they can.
No different in other regions f the country.
Four weights brought 215-232 a pound today at Crockett you can bet 90 out
of a 100 were Brahman influence.
6 to 8 wt 1.41 to 1.52 if those Brahman calves heading to the same feedlots as yours from all over the south why do they bring top dollar from order buyers?

I agree with you, Sim.-Ang.King. I preferred the cattle that makes me money while works great in my own environment.

Muddy":26t7wpc7 said:
I agree with you, Sim.-Ang.King. I preferred the cattle that makes me money while works great in my own environment.

Char is a fine animal as long as is in someone else's pasture along with the SIMM. Tried both on this journey if its roots don't trace back to England or India you can keep them IMO.

Caustic Burno":1uknoost said:
Muddy":1uknoost said:

Char is a fine animal as long as is in someone else's pasture along with the SIMM. Tried both on this journey if its roots don't trace back to England or India you can keep them IMO.
Why? Because I'm not stuck in my mindset that Simmental and Charolais are cow killers from 1970's? The most cowkillers I know of came from club calf bulls and Holstein bulls.

Latest posts