• Simmental

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • Herford

Votes: 34 55.7%
  • Other

Votes: 7 11.5%

• Total voters
Ky hills":bjjqkw18 said:
Thanks for the warning CB, I would love to have some of those F1 females, but I won't take a chance on that with my Hereford cows.
The crosses that I have now are a registered Gert, a couple Gert/Herefords, and a couple Beefmasters. Years ago I bought what looked to be a straight bred Gert bull calf, to graft on to a Charolais cow that lost a calf. That calf, was one of the best doing calves that I ever had, and started my interest in Brahman influenced cattle.
Gert/Herf or Beefmaster type cattle with a good Angus bull should produce calves that would mash the scales down and bring top dollar around here and tightening up any excessive loose hide.
Just make sure that the bull is homozygous black.
Those should be some big boned thick calves that get here about the size of a house cat and grow like rabbits. Best part about that type of cow if and when the market gets off black all you got
to do is change the bull to change the entire color of the calf crop.
Give you a good consistent crop that doesn't look like a box of crayons when you unload at the barn.

TennesseeTuxedo":esur0omn said:
Please pray tell us Mr. Burno when this market "shift" away from black will take place?

it will the one constant has been change in the cattle industry.
We are just one consumer group away from them suing the CAB house of cards.
Be looking like that old Wendy's commercial where's the beef this time it will be where's the
Angus. Lots of stuff being sold for Angus that has never been close to one. I know the rules of CAB
and it is disceptive and I have an Angus bull standing in the pasture.

Thanks for the input cb, i may go ahead and keep her and she how she does.

Caustic Burno":37hc8zxe said:
TennesseeTuxedo":37hc8zxe said:
Please pray tell us Mr. Burno when this market "shift" away from black will take place?

Be looking like that old Wendy's commercial where's the beef this time it will be where's the
Angus. Lots of stuff being sold for Angus that has never been close to one. I know the rules of CAB

Yeah, that'll happen.

TennesseeTuxedo":2qica4d5 said:
Caustic Burno":2qica4d5 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2qica4d5 said:

Yeah, that'll happen.
Won't be the first time when a company or organization has fell for deceiving the public.
It is deceiving to the consumer at best
Lot of stuff being sold as Angus under the Certified Angus Beef sign that is nothing but a lie.
It is not being sold as having Angus like qualities it is being sold as Angus.
It is fraud all the way around their is not enough Angus to fill what is being sold under CAB.
The right investigative reporter get on it will hurt the entire industry.
I run an Angus and embrassed by some of the crap I see being sold in stores under the CAB sign.

TennesseeTuxedo":kajxcs3o said:
Yup, it's the crime of the century.

:lol:

So you think deceiving our customers/consumer is good for the industry?

It is ok then for any organization or company to sell under deceptive practices?

If it is sold as Angus it should be Angus not Holstien or something else that is 51% black.

TennesseeTuxedo":dhzd0css said:
I wish you guys would make up your minds, all I ever hear is that Angus isn't superior and without the hide on nobody could tell the difference.

So which is it?
I don't think it is but the association through marketing genius has sold the American public it is.
If I was a seed stock producer I would be raising he!! that CAB should be Angus.
The biggest problem I see with the association is crap cattle only concerned with the fees they collect. I had to search long and hard to find a quality breeder for my current bull.
Way to many people breeding the breed IMO that think paper makes quality.
My current bull is the best I have ever owned and I have owned a lot of bulls through the years.
To get the premium the calf should be Angus and the consumer should get what he is paying for IMO.
As to the market shift it has been happening for the last few years yellow baldie calves bring just as much. The order buyers here like the Char/Hereford cross I don't but that doesn't count.

TennesseeTuxedo":3nd9na6h said:
So, yes, there is a difference and Angus is superior.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions.
I didn't say that and I don't believe it either .
My next bull won't be Angus either to hard to find a quality one.
Yes I said that my Angus bull is the best I ever owned and my next bull will be better.
If you are not constantly improving your stagnate or going backwards.
Second problem with Angus breeders is most have bought in to the P.T. Barnum bs they are selling.
They actually think paper is worth something other than wiping your butt.
Looks like you took the bait hook line and sinker.

Caustic Burno":1ww74zhn said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1ww74zhn said:
So, yes, there is a difference and Angus is superior.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions.
I didn't say that and I don't believe it either .
My next bull won't be Angus either to hard to find a quality one.
Yes I said that my Angus bull is the best I ever owned and my next bull will be better.
If you are not constantly improving your stagnate or going backwards.
Second problem with Angus breeders is most have bought in to the P.T. Barnum bs they are selling.
They actually think paper is worth something other than wiping your butt.
Looks like you took the bait hook line and sinker.

You sure do get yourself tied up in knots over nothing CB. Thanks for the comic relief.

We got into the sims back in the 80s when there was a push to grow leaner beef. I remember the first one we had processed.....was not good at all. So lean, tough, but hey, it was better for us so we were told...My FIL would buy a fat steer at a county show and fill his freezer, and he'd give us meat from that. So we went from fed out steer to grass fed sim. After the first one, the next we fed corn. Didnt help at all...meat still lean and tough. In the 90s we started adding angus bulls. Each calf we put in the freezer, got better as the years went on...Now, most of what we have is 75% or higher angus depending on the age. I can tell you by experience, adding angus to sim made them taste way better. Not sure about todays sims, which are NOTHING like the original ones.
Never understood why more original sim people dont argue over which is better, like hereford peopld do.....old horned hereford or polled hereford and now black hereford. Yeah, the change is for the better, but what you have now is a angus and we already had them...lol

CAB is a great marketing tool. But the Angus association is the leader of the pack, and all the other breeds are being left behind. DNA testing is a great up and coming thing for cattle. And is also being pushed hard by the Angus association. The best never rest.

image.jpg
[/url][/img]

There you go CB, just another junky Angus bull. He's a Bismarck son.

Now that we have a herd of 75% + angus with the rest being sim.......we are looking into hereford bulls. A neighbor has a lot of polled hereford yearling bulls for sale. Daughter has some 1/2 black hereford 1/2 angus bulls shes looking to sell. We bought one from her last year and really like what we are getting out of him. She bought several reg. black hereford bulls a few years ago and is getting some really nice calves out of them. She's getting around 75% black baldies out of them with her mixed herd of cows which some are out of our herds, sim/angus. But she's also bought some cows that we dont know what they are, but they are nice cows. The bull we want from her is out of one of her old show heifers...I have yet to see him, but husband wants him so i guess eventually i'll see him.

Latest posts