Votes: 20 32.8%
  • Herford

Votes: 34 55.7%
  • Other

Votes: 7 11.5%

• Total voters

Black an Gus

Reaction score
I am a 20 year old who recently bought 30 heifers from my father because he started a camp job and I wanted to start my own cattle operation.
The heifers are all purebred Black Angus but I would like to cross them with something else. I was thinking Herford or Simmental, but I wanted to read what you guys thought. What the advantages of these crosses are or even different Angus crosses you have bred that have worked well. Thanks in advance!

Both. Start with one and put the other on the heifers for a 3 way cross. Personally, I would start with Hereford and put a simi on the baldies.

angus9259":qnc74vzh said:
Both. Start with one and put the other on the heifers for a 3 way cross. Personally, I would start with Hereford and put a simi on the baldies.
That's not a bad idea. I read a little bit about 3 way cross since posting this and it seems like a great idea. Thanks.

Are you gonna retain heifers out of these? I'd use low BW Angus with some performance, whatever is good enough to keep great, the rest get on the trailer, then next year come back with Hereford make some good baldies.

bse":2cfo8ryc said:
Are you gonna retain heifers out of these? I'd use low BW Angus with some performance, whatever is good enough to keep great, the rest get on the trailer, then next year come back with Hereford make some good baldies.
The plan is to keep a few heifers every year.

Black an Gus":22e6g4vj said:
I am a 20 year old who recently bought 30 heifers from my father because he started a camp job and I wanted to start my own cattle operation.
The heifers are all purebred Black Angus but I would like to cross them with something else. I was thinking Herford or Simmental, but I wanted to read what you guys thought. What the advantages of these crosses are or even different Angus crosses you have bred that have worked well. Thanks in advance!

I have been in this business a lot longer than you are old.
The one constant through all those years is the Black Baldie Herf/Angus cross
has always been in the top money getters at the barn.

That pretty much says it like Bugs Bunny
That's all folks"

SimAngus females are good momma cows and popular here than black baldy cows. You can breed them to Hereford bull.

I have been around for many years also and the baldy has always been a top performer and demanded top dollar. It is still true today. I've had several feeder buyers and feedlot managers tell me that it is a top cross. The reviews I've heard on the Sim/Angus cross has been mixed. Some good and some bad. I personally had enough bad experience with the Simmi's when they were introduced to last me a lifetime. If you choose a good low BW Hereford bull like 3027 or Sensation you should be ok and likely to reap the benefit of some nice daughters.

Plenty of easy calving Simmental bulls out there these days, and likely with better growth than AN or Herefords. Finding a good white-faced or even a decent blaze-faced Simmental bull is harder to do, and my experience has been that even over white-faced cows, you can't necessarily count on getting white-faced or blaze-faced calves.
If you're wanting baldies, I don't know but that I'd also recommend a Hereford, first time out, then come back with a good Simmental for a 3-way cross.

elkwc":3v1n5ypx said:
I have been around for many years also and the baldy has always been a top performer and demanded top dollar. It is still true today. I've had several feeder buyers and feedlot managers tell me that it is a top cross. The reviews I've heard on the Sim/Angus cross has been mixed. Some good and some bad. I personally had enough bad experience with the Simmi's when they were introduced to last me a lifetime. If you choose a good low BW Hereford bull like 3027 or Sensation you should be ok and likely to reap the benefit of some nice daughters.

I got burned as well this child is sticking with three breeds Angus,Brahman and Hereford or there composites.

Caustic Burno":30wvej6d said:
elkwc":30wvej6d said:

I got burned as well this child is sticking with three breeds Angus,Brahman and Hereford or there composites.

+1

Caustic Burno":3u8jp5oa said:
elkwc":3u8jp5oa said:

+2

I'm a Simmental breeder but my best luck has been using hereford on angus then going back to SimAngus bulls. On the commercial herds I AI for they use SimAngus bulls until they breed the white off their face then go back again hereford. Seems to work well for them. Feeder buyers like the crossbred calves.

ALACOWMAN":m4y9t7pb said:
If I were told I could only have to breeds to use...it would be angus and Hereford...
Same here and currently the only two I'm using. The black and red baldies demand top dollar in this area as replacements and also as feeders.

My cowherd at present is Angus, Hereford, and crosses of the two. I have found the black white face to work well for me.

I'll definitely be looking at nice butts nuts and guts. The only reason I want goggles is because anything with pink around the eyes seems to get pink eye around here.

Latest posts