• Simmental

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • Herford

Votes: 34 55.7%
  • Other

Votes: 7 11.5%

• Total voters
Black an Gus":2kjl4j71 said:
I'll definitely be looking at nice butts nuts and guts. The only reason I want goggles is because anything with pink around the eyes seems to get pink eye around here.

Pink eye is a fly management problem no matter the color of the eye.

Caustic Burno":sygkkx17 said:
Black an Gus":sygkkx17 said:
I'll definitely be looking at nice butts nuts and guts. The only reason I want goggles is because anything with pink around the eyes seems to get pink eye around here.

Then why do I keep getting pink eye in the winter

Lazy M":3fvk0gh0 said:
Caustic Burno":3fvk0gh0 said:
Black an Gus":3fvk0gh0 said:

Then why do I keep getting pink eye in the winter

Because you have never eradicated the first time in your herd.
You have carrier animals in your herd that costing you big bucks.
I haven't had a case of pinkeye in years.
http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/400/400-750/400-750.html

The cross breeds i love the best are angus char or angus sim cross calves. I pay top dollar for ether of those crosses. The thing i like about the angus char cross calves is they finish out like no other they are thick and muscled and bring top dollar at market. The reason i like angus sim crosses is they gain above average the frame is larger therefor we can get more weight on them till they finish out and they muscle out real nice as well. I love both of those crosses and i dont know which i would pick if i had to chose. Probably angus sim by a hair . Although the angus char cross sure are pretty.

Hello Everyone, I enjoyed reading all posts and find all this very interesting. I am thinking about purchasing 80 Herford cows and 5 bulls(3 Black Angus & 2 Herford). The current owner sells off all of the black baldy calves and may keep a few Herford heifers. If I wanted to increase the herd and keep the black baldy heifers should it matter to me if I mate back with Herford or Black Angus. And if I did would this be what you are calling a 3 way? Thank ya'll I am a true beginner!

If you breed a black baldy back to either angus or hereford they will not be a 3 way cross.

magicmwm":29w5smy4 said:
Hello Everyone, I enjoyed reading all posts and find all this very interesting. I am thinking about purchasing 80 Herford cows and 5 bulls(3 Black Angus & 2 Herford). The current owner sells off all of the black baldy calves and may keep a few Herford heifers. If I wanted to increase the herd and keep the black baldy heifers should it matter to me if I mate back with Herford or Black Angus. And if I did would this be what you are calling a 3 way? Thank ya'll I am a true beginner!

If you keep black baldy heifers as replacements, I would breed them back to an unrelated low birthweight Angus or Hereford bull to calve as 2 yr olds.

From then on, breed them to a continental breed in no particular order such as Charolais, Limousin, Gelbvieh, Simmental, etc :idea:

John SD":2n4hc86p said:
magicmwm":2n4hc86p said:

If you keep black baldy heifers as replacements, I would breed them back to an unrelated low birthweight Angus or Hereford bull to calve as 2 yr olds.

From then on, breed them to a continental breed in no particular order such as Charolais, Limousin, Gelbvieh, Simmental, etc :idea:
Just breed them to a good bull regardless of the bulls breed. No offence to anyone, but everyone on here seems to get a little too bound up in f1, terminal, 3 way cross, etc.
At the end of the day a good bull bred to a good cow will give you a nice calf for replacements, steers, etc.

Lazy M":3q2b0jok said:
John SD":3q2b0jok said:
magicmwm":3q2b0jok said:

Just breed them to a good bull regardless of the bulls breed. No offence to anyone, but everyone on here seems to get a little too bound up in f1, terminal, 3 way cross, etc.
At the end of the day a good bull bred to a good cow will give you a nice calf for replacements, steers, etc.

I agree.

Lazy M":3bqj5vxs said:
John SD":3bqj5vxs said:
magicmwm":3bqj5vxs said:

r

They are bound up by good reason pounds and the science to back it.
If you going to raise them for pasture ornaments I guess it doesn't matter.
I do this to turn grass into the most pounds of beef I can to turn into
folding money to put in my billfold. This is all about mashing the scales down
with a calf that will grade.

My point is that farming by textbook isn't going to work in the real world. The value of a cow is determined by production not theory.
That being said, no pasture ornaments here and I'll be happy to compare weaning weights with you anytime.

Till-Hill":n8arxmjk said:
I'm a Simmental breeder but my best luck has been using hereford on angus then going back to SimAngus bulls. On the commercial herds I AI for they use SimAngus bulls until they breed the white off their face then go back again hereford.

What is in "best luck".

Lazy M":h8kdm0pb said:
My point is that farming by textbook isn't going to work in the real world. The value of a cow is determined by production not theory.
That being said, no pasture ornaments here and I'll be happy to compare weaning weights with you anytime.
You will loose every time against a Brahman cross calf no brag just fact.
Willy nilly breeding looses money no two ways about that was the way it
was done fifty years ago.
Cattle breeding is not supposed to be like a box of chocolates.

Caustic Burno":29ei2dop said:
Lazy M":29ei2dop said:
I agree that one should plan out their breeding and herd future. My point is that all that has to translate into quality animals or your wasting your time and money. Simple point..not sure why you can't comprehend.
BTW: bring some of those Brahma crossed bell ringer calves here to market and you'd be lucky to get cull cow prices

:welcome:
Lazy M":2zq7zs7c said:
Caustic Burno":2zq7zs7c said:
Lazy M":2zq7zs7c said:
I agree that one should plan out their breeding and herd future. My point is that all that has to translate into quality animals or your wasting your time and money. Simple point..not sure why you can't comprehend.
BTW: bring some of those Brahma crossed bell ringer calves here to market and you'd be lucky to get cull cow prices

Don't be a hater because you can't run superior cattle.
30% of the cow herd in the country can't all be wrong.
No I will keep my money makers I seen enough pink eyed cattle out of that part of the
world during the drought. Watched thousands go to dog food. Saul brought truck load after truck load in every week.
Never seen the first cow bought for back to the farm those continental English cattle fell apart
The English continental fell apart here during the drought as well.
Brimmer girls and LH kept making a living. Problem with LH I don't like hatchet a$$ cattle and dehorn at conception.

Latest posts