American Black Hereford Association

Help Support CattleToday:

tx hereford":i9xq7iwn said:
Marketing 101, I'm going to be starting a new breed also but going to call it
White Faced Angus
They will be a cross breed of angus and herefored
If you want to register you White faced Angus send me a $20.00 postal money order
and a photo,and I'll make up some papers for you....
web site is being worked on,just need some fools to send me some money to get it all started...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I need an address of where to send my check. I got 97 WF Angus to register. I want in on the ground floor before this thing takes off like a rocket! :banana:

I'm pretty confused now - just browsed through the Jobulls site and the first "black hereford" in the sale section was red . How does that work?

goddy":2fpp7af1 said:
I'm pretty confused now - just browsed through the Jobulls site and the first "black hereford" in the sale section was red . How does that work?

Ssshhh.....ya weren't 'sposed to notice...
I need an address of where to send my check. I got 97 WF Angus to register. I want in on the ground floor before this thing takes off like a rocket

Let me know how that works out--ya think they'll let my wf with Angus influence in if they have some horn?

Taurus":xktbukm2 said:
^ or just using a homo black bull over red hereford cows and sell F1 calves at the sale barn.....simple as that.

I think this is a good question. The answer is that if you are only producing F1 calves, then you do not understand heterosis. The F1 calf will produce better, but the real advantage is to use a F1 mother. The studies show a significant increase in the number of calves produced if the mother is hybrid along with many other advantages.

The problem is that the mother now carries a recessive red gene if it is a cross between a Black Angus and a Red Hereford. If however, the F1 is produced with a Black Angus and a Black Hereford, she can still be homozygous black.

goddy":2d68gwot said:

As I stated above, we have traditionally been a red Hereford breeder. My uncle runs the red side. You can visit that site at www.johansenherefords.com . I had a red Hereford cow with my homozygous Black Hereford bull, but one of the red Hereford bulls visited.

The reason that bull is at the top of the page is because he is the only one not reserved on the site. The polled Black Herefords are all reserved. They are easier to sell.

Someone else questioned the all black herd bull. He is not a purebred, but I am using him on 100% red Herefords, so the resulting calves are working towards the 87.5% purebred. It is a transition process, similar to the one used to take the Simmental breed black.

Thanks for going to the site!

I also took a look at their website. The Performance study tab was interesting. Not quite sure you can accurately compare the the black herefords in a completely different study to Hereford and Angus sired calves from another set of cows in a different feedlot, under different condtions and time on feed. The numbers on their chart also don't quite match all the numbers I have seen from the Daley and Earley test either.

I also noticed the red "black" hereford and wondered about that myself.

I am a newbie, corporate America,city boy, who worked with my grandpa & uncle ONLY during the summer and this will be my first year taking over my family land. But it seems like the assoc rolled out there product way to early... They maybe should have done what we suits call a "soft rollout"?..

Jobulls":16lkrz3q said:
goddy":16lkrz3q said:

As I stated above, we have traditionally been a red Hereford breeder. My uncle runs the red side. You can visit that site at http://www.johansenherefords.com . I had a red Hereford cow with my homozygous Black Hereford bull, but one of the red Hereford bulls visited.

The reason that bull is at the top of the page is because he is the only one not reserved on the site. The polled Black Herefords are all reserved. They are easier to sell.

Someone else questioned the all black herd bull. He is not a purebred, but I am using him on 100% red Herefords, so the resulting calves are working towards the 87.5% purebred. It is a transition process, similar to the one used to take the Simmental breed black.

Thanks for going to the site!
That doesn't explains why the picture says Horned Black Hereford Bull when it isn't a black?

I feels sorry for buyers who brought these 2012 bulls... :hide:

Jobulls":km557m5b said:
Taurus":km557m5b said:
^ or just using a homo black bull over red hereford cows and sell F1 calves at the sale barn.....simple as that.

I think this is a good question. The answer is that if you are only producing F1 calves, then you do not understand heterosis. The F1 calf will produce better, but the real advantage is to use a F1 mother. The studies show a significant increase in the number of calves produced if the mother is hybrid along with many other advantages.

The problem is that the mother now carries a recessive red gene if it is a cross between a Black Angus and a Red Hereford. If however, the F1 is produced with a Black Angus and a Black Hereford, she can still be homozygous black.
Or just use a homozygous black bull on heterozygous F1 cow...no matter if the cow is red or black.

I was thinking about all these non-angus breeds going black so they could benefit from the Certified Angus Beef program. If you can be certified angus without being angus, does the meat actually have to be from cattle?

I've seen some young black dogs running around that might be tender enough to qualify.

djinwa":npuix54t said:
I was thinking about all these non-angus breeds going black so they could benefit from the Certified Angus Beef program. If you can be certified angus without being angus, does the meat actually have to be from cattle?

I've seen some young black dogs running around that might be tender enough to qualify.
At last the other Angus-based breeds do better than black herefords.

back2dfuture":3smi8knu said:
I am a newbie, corporate America,city boy, who worked with my grandpa & uncle ONLY during the summer and this will be my first year taking over my family land. But it seems like the assoc rolled out there product way to early... They maybe should have done what we suits call a "soft rollout"?..

I had to laugh at your statement! I spent 11 years in the corporate madness before striking out on my own. Farming/ranching is a totally different deal. Farmers and ranchers are an independent lot that doesn't like having decisions made and handed down to them from some "corporate" boardroom. I'm sure that any secretary or manager of ANY of the cattle breeds would tell you that getting a bunch of cattle breeders to agree on anything is similar to trying to herd cats. Unlike most corporations, the breed organizations aren't really that "organized", where a directive from the top would be followed by virtually everyone within the organization. Individual breeders are still competitors with each other and everyone is looking for a way to gain an edge.

The "launch" of the Black Hereford breed has been less than pretty, but I'm betting that at least some of the Black Hereford breeders will eventually get there. In the meantime, they're all going to have to endure the barrage of pointed jabs from the critics looking on from the sidelines.

George

back2dfuture":2ld5oyto said:

As a newbie you have way more insight than most breeders have! (of all breeds)

The fact is those bulls on the website would not have passed as average quality herefords, nor would they have passed as average quality angus. Which begs the question, why are they still bulls?

I have trolled on this site for the past few years trying to pick up tidbits of sound advice about the cattle business. But for the most part IMO its alot of breed bashing, your operation or breed sucks , it want work etc etc..or alot "Ribbing".. I have never been the one to be the butt of tooo many jokes, but thats a me problem. I understand that the Black hereford breed/ crossbreed are what ever season cattle men calls them, are not up to par. But I do see the business side of it.. And at the end of the day that's what is about. That what this country is about, either create something new or improve on an established product that fills a need and try to make a living selling it. And GOD willing maybe you'll LOVE the ride. Not everyone wants to use Angus, Simms or any other black hide breed in there operation, for whatever reasons. It seems to me that the only thing the Assoc did wrong was pick the wrong name and maybe they were a little to in your face with their product. It also seems that dont have enough marketing ppl working for the Assoc. What would the "BEEF"(lol) be if it was the American Bladie Breeders Assoc. the Commercial Bladie Breeders Assoc or the White Faced Cattle Assoc.

American Bladie Breeders Assoc. the Commercial Bladie Breeders Assoc or the White Faced Cattle Assoc.<-------------------I really like the those names .... Damn I'm good!!!!

The "beef" lies with using the name Hereford in their title, the same would apply if it was called the white faced angus, since both hereford and angus have closed herdbooks. The other breeds that turned black didn't have closed herdbooks and breeding up was allowed, not the case in herefords (or angus).

back2dfuture":11rho8bh said:
American Bladie Breeders Assoc. the Commercial Bladie Breeders Assoc or the White Faced Cattle Assoc.<-------------------I really like the those names .... be nice I'm good!!!!

Perhaps Bladie was a Freudian slip meaning a sharp blade should have been used more often.

Didn't I see a few pics of horned black herefords ? in that case baldie wouldn't work either.

no slip... just typing to fast while in the office....I understand the closed herdbooks... but so many ppl seem angry... Does anyone know how the AHA feels, since its there breed & name that's being used..

back2dfuture":2g3do56j said:
no slip... just typing to fast while in the office....I understand the closed herdbooks... but so many ppl seem angry... Does anyone know how the AHA feels, since its there breed & name that's being used..

Perhaps it's the citizens of Hereford that should be PO'ed:

herefordshire.gif

Latest posts