American Black Hereford Association

Help Support CattleToday:

Figured I'd get in on this... :D

cul8r":25qq42hq said:
The black herefords are just like other breeds that have been turned black. It doesn't come out of the first cross You breed them up to where there is enough hereford percentage in them to be registered herefords. It may take 2, 3, or more generations.

Tell this to Frankie (Angus) and some of those other Brangus breeders who felt their breed is not just like any other turned black.. :shock:

The world is changing everyday, you might as well get use to it.

I'd rather help change it in the right direction!

The first cross of any breed with a black is a black bladie, not just herefords.

Hmmmm :idea: Could you elaberate on this a little? First you are saying it dosen't come from the first cross, then you say the first cross is a baldie, then you say you have to "breed up"....and have a percentage to be registered Herefords...cmon!

I can't believe you slammed the Holstiens. They are some of the hardest working cattle out there to meet human's needs. Those breeders have taken huge strides in their fields and many beef breeders have learned from their research and practices. Those breeders and their cattle have been able to maintain production, genetics and integrity of the breed for many many years.

Your inference that the Hereford breed has changed in it's phenotype only tells me #1) You don't know the history of the Hereford #2) You can't see that it is to the breeders credit that they have been able adapt the Hereford and make adjustments to meet market demands, and #3) You can't see that it is to the breeds credit that the Hereford has maintained it's position as being an adaptable, functional, and useful animal w/o sacrificing it's integrity as a purebred.

greenwillowherefords":3luikxid said:
brokenmouth":3luikxid said:
cul8r":3luikxid said:
So how do you get new genetics? Eventually won't the registered herefords end up like the Holsteins? with no where to go but down.... Like I said I'm not trying to stir the pot, I'm just curious.

no where to go but down. right about that. holsteins have been bred for milk production and without new genetics they are turning out to be a sad failure.

no breed is big enough to support itself.

for a nonbovine example look what happened to the arabian horse. awful

I couldn't disagree more about Herefords going down. That's like saying that cattle are going down because they haven't outcrossed with another species. There are New Zealand bloodlines, Australian bloodlines, English bloodlines, Canadian bloodlines, and many more to outcross from. Some of them have not been used widely for 40 years, but they are waiting to be utilized.

mine was facetious sarcasm

certherfbeef":1dada4n4 said:
The picture on my screen cut off the hind quarters. That is what I wanted to see. Probably not much there though. Fishy butted and crooked wheels. :roll: Goes back the the single trait selection fiasco.

Where are your comments now??? Can't see the big picture yet.

Bulldog a man ought not to ask for comments unless he wants them. Who retouched the photo? That black flank line isn't part of the bull when I send it to my photos. 1780 pound at what age?

texbulldog":2otm7azi said:
certherfbeef":2otm7azi said:
The picture on my screen cut off the hind quarters. That is what I wanted to see. Probably not much there though. Fishy butted and crooked wheels. :roll: Goes back the the single trait selection fiasco.

I'm sorry texbulldog from KS. I was out riding the pasture checking on my red herefords. Which also happen to be a few of both polled and horned.

I see the big picture quite clearly. I like the black hereford looking cattle I have in my commercial herd. I also know that they bring a premium at the sale barn, as commercial cattle. It is pretty easy to get a hereford looking black calf. Most any idiot can do it.
I'm not going to argue with the 14 members of the Black Hereford Association. They have invested a lot of time and lord knows a lot of money into this association. Fine, I wish you luck. And some day when you have more than 3 bulls in your registry and can come up with EPD's please post some more photos.

I do not, however, quite understand why you do not have EPD's on those cattle in your association. If they are indeed Herefords and there is nothing in the wood pile to make them black, then why can't you trace those pedigrees and EPD's thru the Red Hereford association? I did not read your site word for word. If that information is in there, please direct me to it, I would like to read through it. Good luck with your endevors. But, also realize, that when the article ran in the Successful Farmer (i think) about the Balck Herefords...the only comment AHA would make is that the Blacks are NOT recognized as a hereford.
Have a good day.
~Certherfbeef

certherfbeef":3g5dcna2 said:
texbulldog":3g5dcna2 said:
certherfbeef":3g5dcna2 said:

I'm sorry texbulldog from KS. I was out riding the pasture checking on my red herefords. Which also happen to be a few of both polled and horned.

I see the big picture quite clearly. I like the black hereford looking cattle I have in my commercial herd. I also know that they bring a premium at the sale barn, as commercial cattle. It is pretty easy to get a hereford looking black calf. Most any idiot can do it.
I'm not going to argue with the 14 members of the Black Hereford Association. They have invested a lot of time and lord knows a lot of money into this association. Fine, I wish you luck. And some day when you have more than 3 bulls in your registry and can come up with EPD's please post some more photos.

I do not, however, quite understand why you do not have EPD's on those cattle in your association. If they are indeed Herefords and there is nothing in the wood pile to make them black, then why can't you trace those pedigrees and EPD's thru the Red Hereford association? I did not read your site word for word. If that information is in there, please direct me to it, I would like to read through it. Good luck with your endevors. But, also realize, that when the article ran in the Successful Farmer (i think) about the Balck Herefords...the only comment AHA would make is that the Blacks are NOT recognized as a hereford.
Have a good day.
~Certherfbeef

Thats pretty straight shootin Cert.

Hmmm. Certherfbeef may have the Black Herford people squirming in their boots. Good comments Cert.

ollie":1dno20yb said:
Bulldog a man ought not to ask for comments unless he wants them. Who retouched the photo? That black flank line isn't part of the bull when I send it to my photos. 1780 pound at what age?

The picture wasn't retouched in any way and the bull was borned on 03/05/03 and belongs to a gentleman in California.
Comments are welcome pro or con. We'll be here for a while. :lol:

certherfbeef":3rz95bd9 said:
texbulldog":3rz95bd9 said:
certherfbeef":3rz95bd9 said:

Have a good day.
~Certherfbeef

Real good posting Certified hereford Beef. Are those numbers accurate about there breed association and bull registry???? Becasue I think I could start a American Black Baldy Association and get bigger than that pretty quick

tapeworm":1ng8kh91 said:
Real good posting Certified hereford Beef. Are those numbers accurate about there breed association and bull registry???? Becasue I think I could start a American Black Baldy Association and get bigger than that pretty quick

Those numbers came from their website.

certherfbeef":25aqjrdn said:
tapeworm":25aqjrdn said:

Those numbers came from their website.
Okay thank you...that will be a must bookmark site for me. Do they have a discussion forum yet or do they just use walkie talkies???? LOL

I am a member of the American Black Hereford Association. Our family has been running Hereford cattle for three generations. We believe in the F1 cross between Herefords and Angus. However, the red hide is a negative and prevents registration as certified Angus Beef.

We started converting our herd to Black Herefords in 2009. The posts above have some misinformation. To be purebred they have to be at least 87.5% Hereford. It is much the same as the process used to take other breeds black.

Also, the breed is not just focusing on the black trait. The Association is making sure all of the genetic defects from both the Angus breed and the Hereford breed are eliminated. Further, if a breeder wants to use a Hereford bull he has to be a leader in five traits and approved by the Association. There are other rules to help not only create a black Hereford, but a better Hereford. The Black Hereford Association is doing it right. http://www.jobulls.com

Jobulls":3irx8h7a said:
I am a member of the American Black Hereford Association. Our family has been running Hereford cattle for three generations. We believe in the F1 cross between Herefords and Angus. However, the red hide is a negative and prevents registration as certified Angus Beef.

We started converting our herd to Black Herefords in 2009. The posts above have some misinformation. To be purebred they have to be at least 87.5% Hereford. It is much the same as the process used to take other breeds black.

Also, the breed is not just focusing on the black trait. The Association is making sure all of the genetic defects from both the Angus breed and the Hereford breed are eliminated. Further, if a breeder wants to use a Hereford bull he has to be a leader in five traits and approved by the Association. There are other rules to help not only create a black Hereford, but a better Hereford. The Black Hereford Association is doing it right. http://www.jobulls.com
really like the looks of your operation,, but still a long way to go in the bull department.....

Marketing 101, I'm going to be starting a new breed also but going to call it
White Faced Angus
They will be a cross breed of angus and herefored
If you want to register you White faced Angus send me a $20.00 postal money order
and a photo,and I'll make up some papers for you....
web site is being worked on,just need some fools to send me some money to get it all started...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ALACOWMAN":273i5rs3 said:
Jobulls":273i5rs3 said:

really like the looks of your operation,, but still a long way to go in the bull department.....
Any reason why it's okay to registering a full black bull as a Black Hereford?

Jobulls":wocz44nz said:

Since this old thread has been dug up apparently you haven't sold any cattle lately.
Here if it moo's and will make hamburger it is bringing a premium no matter what color.
Color doesn't really matter since the drought pounds do.
I don't see that changing anytime soon, too many left the party and are not getting back in.

Latest posts