American Black Hereford Association

Help Support CattleToday:

texbulldog

Reaction score
Have you heard of the new breed: the Black Hereford. Breeding for a black hided calf everytime increases the value of the herd. Any response about these black baldie cattle.

texbulldog":3u3cgcic said:
Have you heard of the new breed: the Black Hereford. Breeding for a black hided calf everytime increases the value of the herd. Any response about these black baldie cattle.

So what's new about the black baldies.

Old topic no such thing there is the black baldie they are trying to sell of as a registered breed in Leavenworth Ks. You have never seen a mutant / recessive gene to cause a Herefordto be Black. Angus have a recessive red gene and you still have a real Angus.

If you want to run Angus genetics buy Angus dang good cattle.

Black Herefords :stop: I'm calling BS. All you have is a counterfiet.

I have been invited the last two years to the sale. The brochures I have been sent contain some good looking cattle, they are just not Herefords. I produce crossbreed cattle every year in the pasture. I guess I could put a roll of toliet paper with them black baldies and call them registered Herefords.

If I wanted Angus genetics I would go to one of the many reputable breeders on the board La4 Jake or Frankie and buy Angus.

The people in kansas have produced a good looking animal it just needs to marketed as a composite breed Hergus, Angfords or something just not Herefords. I will say it takes a lot of hard work to make a composite that reproduces consistently as they have. I just have a problem calling them Herefords

Caustic Burno: best handle on the board. Great pic of Hoss Cartwright. And to address the topic of this discussion: Black baldies by any other name are still black baldies.

I agree with others here. Camp said it well. A black hereford is a black baldie. A hereford angus x. No such thing as black hereford.

They might as well call them black herefords, there are black simmentals and black limos , where did they get their color from ? Same place

The weekness I see with black Herefords is the single trait selection for color to make them homozygous black. While there will be those that select properly and the black will just be an incidental to their selection, there will be a bunch that see color and that's all that's important. Single trait selection for anything is a failed concept.

dun

reminds me of something i read a while back (can't remember if it was this site or another). i wish i could remember the exact phrase, but it went something like this:

"selling crossbred bulls is stealing hybrid vigor from your customers."

txag":3p83u4ox said:
"selling crossbred bulls is stealing hybrid vigor from your customers."

Interesting in theory, but a crossbred bull (F1) put on cows from another breed base will give you a lot more heterosis then using a straight bred bull. In theory a 3 way cross maximizes the possible heterosis, unless you get into the 5-7 way cross but I personally feel it's hard to find that many breeds that have complimentary traits that will still provide any degree of heterosis. Once again, personal opinion only

dun

dun":1wp670vx said:
Interesting in theory, but a crossbred bull (F1) put on cows from another breed base will give you a lot more heterosis then using a straight bred bull.

but not as much as a straightbred bull (different breed than the makeup of the cows) used on F1 cows. then you're getting maternal hybrid vigor from the cows as well as additional hybrid vigor from the different sire.

In my simplistic way of analyzing it, I've always thought that was the reason those calves out of English x Brahman cows and sired by a Continental bull, say a Charolais, grew so well. Maximum heterosis with a combination of unrelated gene pools (Bos Taurus English & Continental combined with Bos Indicus)

texbulldog":2kf2z9ft said:

What a load of crap.

Speaking of strange things to do to a recognised breed, how about the 'black' charolais?

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/circlex/blacks.htm

http://www.siredirect.com/blkcharolais/about.htm

http://www.charolaisbanner.com/sandrose/info.htm

http://www.laueranch.com/charolais.html

charolais5.jpg

Take care.

I saw a (dark brown) Charolais bull in Denver several years back. He was just a bull. Quality was poor compared to the bulls around him. That is my biggest problem with color,horned/polled, epd, . Quality is fast leaving and slow coming back .

Agree with you, Ollie. Too many people chase a fad and produce quantity not quality.

About ten years back we saw the same thing in the horse industry. Paint horses were selling like hotcakes, and seemed like if a registered stud or mare had any sort of colour meant they were good enough to be bred. What a bunch of junk - knock kneed, ewe necked, bad dispostions - it was a real chore to find good quality Paints.

Now that the 'colour' fad is over in this area, it's weeded out a lot of those 'get rich quick' breeders (and their stock). Unfortunately, it's also left a lot of people soured on Paints...but then again, Honey is still soured on Polled Herefords, as they were such poor quality animals when they started making an appearance here (thin gutted, pinny hipped beggars).

Take care.

Annie I don't want to be the one to break it to you but 90% of the people reading this don't know what ewe necked is. It is a wonderful adj. They think black,polled,ww>75,nat. champ, etc. are discriptive of quality.

Oh Ollie, you rascal! You're just wriggling the "numbers and accolades" versus confirmation bait trying to get a bite from some folks, aren't ya? ;-)

Somehow I don't think it'll be too long before it's gone...hook, line and sinker.

Take care.

No bait Annie......Truth.Or my name isn't Earl Jefferson.

Latest posts