Aggressive Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan":z8bs39a7 said:
Brangus, All but a few have been raised by me, none halter broke. My main message is you can't mess with bulls. My bulls are not pets or haltered broke, they respect me as the alpha, if they challenge me, it's wheels. Two have challenged me and two have been shipped as soon as I could get them on the trailer. A few posts lately of bulls and cows attacking folks on CT lately, including the Belgium Blue show bull who attack the young lady, he was halter trained.
Alan I have posted just as many WARNINGS about Bulls (and cows), as you or anyone else. I NEVER trust any of them. All I am saying is that a bull may approach you for other reasons other than to attack you. (Nothing more, nothing less.) My bulls are not made into pets either, just because they are halter broke and handled. They are also taught respect. But they do not move away from me because I need to halter them. Does not mean I ever let my guard down, or trust them! I try to read their body language, and if they "have the look of disrespect" they are disaplined.

Our bulls are all pretty gentle. We have 12 of various crosses and we've had no human aggression out of any of them and if we do they are gone.....BUT, i do not like getting in a pen with any of them. If they start fighting each other and you risk the danger of getting cornered and smashed or run over, or if they are with cows and they decide to mount one who isnt willing and starts to move away, you dont want to be in their way. If we have bulls with the cows when we get them up i'll usually only go in the corral on a horse, a big horse..lol... I worry more about getting in the way, but, i also realize the danger of them deciding they want me out of their way.

branguscowgirl":3tyc5swi said:
Alan":3tyc5swi said:
Brangus, All but a few have been raised by me, none halter broke. My main message is you can't mess with bulls. My bulls are not pets or haltered broke, they respect me as the alpha, if they challenge me, it's wheels. Two have challenged me and two have been shipped as soon as I could get them on the trailer. A few posts lately of bulls and cows attacking folks on CT lately, including the Belgium Blue show bull who attack the young lady, he was halter trained.
Alan I have posted just as many WARNINGS about Bulls (and cows), as you or anyone else. I NEVER trust any of them. All I am saying is that a bull may approach you for other reasons other than to attack you. (Nothing more, nothing less.) My bulls are not made into pets either, just because they are halter broke and handled. They are also taught respect. But they do not move away from me because I need to halter them. Does not mean I ever let my guard down, or trust them! I try to read their body language, and if they "have the look of disrespect" they are disaplined.
Yeah they may be halter broke and handled, but it do increase the risk of attacks when you are so close to them. After all one of them did put a little girl in hospital and tried kill other people that were trying get him in the trailer that day.

All my cattle are very docile, let me walk amongst them and move off to make way for me. They have to be or they aren't my cows much longer. I do have one that I'm a bit concerned about at calving time, she was a bottle raised twin calf. She is not aggressive, she just has no respect for me or my wife, a real pain in the .... Trying to work or move. We'll see how protective of a mother she is ..... Or if she is even a good mother. :?

run him with the cows , he will settle down , next time he gets close to you , bust him with a ball bat , on the end of the nose, you will have his respect back.they all are will blow and snort at times , but never put your self without an out with a bull doing this or without some kind of stick or shovel or something to keep him off you with , a bull knows when you are empty handed .

I would worry about breeding aggression into the calves you get from him and any replacement heifers you may keep. I'd send him down the road.

mtchick":uewsxaco said:
I would worry about breeding aggression into the calves you get from him and any replacement heifers you may keep. I'd send him down the road.
Most likely it is just built up Testosterone agitation. He is penned alone with other bulls and cows in the area. Not many would tolerate that without showing something........

Saw a ringman at auction barn get an onery bulls attention not buy hitting on nose but whipping his ears with a stick sure changed that bulls attitude in a hurry when asked about it he said he learned they hate it worse than a shot any where else and makes them back down fast I never tried this but it seems to work at the auction barn.

tamarack":1szc7f6m said:
Saw a ringman at auction barn get an onery bulls attention not buy hitting on nose but whipping his ears with a stick sure changed that bulls attitude in a hurry when asked about it he said he learned they hate it worse than a shot any where else and makes them back down fast I never tried this but it seems to work at the auction barn.

Makes sense.

tamarack":2afwuy9g said:

I've had them get rank at times. I have to keep mine away from the cows about three months a year. He can hear and sometimes see them and I'm sure smell them from about 250 yards.
I try hard to maintain a calm enviroment. I will go a long way with one trying to keep him settled without ever striking him. If forced to that, I'm going to bust him right where his ear attaches to the head.

fitz

I use all the precautions advised above. Where I draw the line between keeping and shipping is this: if the bull(or cow) charges and makes me get out of the way to save my hide then he(or she) is gone. If they snort and start to come at me but turn away then I'll consider extenuating circumstances. If they've made me run once, they know they can make me run again; I won't give them that chance.

branguscowgirl":35k5huql said:
mtchick":35k5huql said:
Most likely it is just built up Testosterone agitation. He is penned alone with other bulls and cows in the area. Not many would tolerate that without showing something........
So what if the OP got injured instead of the lucky escape? Would you change your mind about that bull?

Taurus, only the OP truely knows what the situation was. So I would not make that call either way with out witnessing what happened for myself. My only point is, bulls snort and blow snot all the time. Especially in the situation this bull was in. If I understand it right, he had bulls and cows outside his fence. He was locked up alone. If he was fighting,fussing, or arguing with another bull over the fence, he is going to turn on anything that moves. I can gaurante you ANY bull in that state of agitation will. So was this a bad bull? Or was it the circumstances the bull was placed in? I don't know. Was the bull heading for the gate? Or was he directly after the OP? I don't know that either!

branguscowgirl":3detjhq2 said:
Taurus, only the OP truely knows what the situation was. So I would not make that call either way with out witnessing what happened for myself. My only point is, bulls snort and blow snot all the time. Especially in the situation this bull was in. If I understand it right, he had bulls and cows outside his fence. He was locked up alone. If he was fighting,fussing, or arguing with another bull over the fence, he is going to turn on anything that moves. I can gaurante you ANY bull in that state of agitation will. So was this a bad bull? Or was it the circumstances the bull was placed in? I don't know. Was the bull heading for the gate? Or was he directly after the OP? I don't know that either!
Sounds like you are giving a bull more excuses for just being a "bull". Most bulls I kept in a pen all themselves and they never snorted or being aggressive at us. The ones who snorted, will put a show and won't be easy animals to work on even if they are with other cattle. Glad I got rid of these bulls because the few last bulls are so easy to work on. It was nightmare.

Red Bull Breeder":2tybuqcf said:
I have noticed them little plastic bulls from walmart are pretty tame to.
Ya, I agree. And I kind of think that some people would like for them all to be like "little plastic bulls" instead of what they are. (A herd animal with raging hormones and an unpredictable mind of its own.) Treat them like what they are........

3waycross":1mzjacpd said:
Just noticed that the OP has not been back. Hope the bull didn't get him.

You mean three pages responding to another one hit wonder! :shock:

Not trying to pick a fight, but why do folks get upset about "one hit wonders". If they post an interesting topic and get response what does it matter if they never reply back?

Latest posts