Aggressive Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

The most dangerous bull we had was a bull my dad bought at the action years ago that was about 2 years old and had been shown at the county and state fair and was halter broke. If we wanted to work the cows we had to get a halter on him and tie to a tree or tractor. On the halter he was calm as a pet. Otherwise he would take about 15-20 minutes of you messing with his girls and he was coming for you.

I show a bull calf almost every year, selling in the fall as a breeding bull. Only been doing this for maybe last 30 years. I have NEVER had a complaint of disposition. When you show cattle, yes they are pampered, but they are taught respect.
I would guess the show bull you bought was born with that disposition....or the people didn't know what they were doing....like a lot of beef owners thinking they are pets.

I have 2 halter broke "show bulls" currently and while I never trust an animal completely both of mine are as gently as can be. Both will eat from a bucket, get scratched behind the ears, lead on a halter, etc. It makes it super easy to work them, load them in the trailer, separate them, etc.

If one of them charged me it would be there last day on this farm...

Jeanne, you and chevytaHOE have 'show bulls'... but I'm guessing that (well, I know Jeanne's are) they are beef breeds reared on their dams, right? Even if in fairly close proximity to humans from early on, they are not like most dairy bulls - which are removed from their dam at birth and hand-reared by humans, so that they have no fear/respect of 'man'... possibly even 'imprinting' on people... and do not hesitate to maim and kill (albeit possibly unintentionally) in their drive to exert their dominance, once they reach sexual maturity.

It may well be that dairy breed bulls are inherently more dangerous than beef breed bulls, but I don't know anyone raising dairy breed bulls on their dams, on pasture; otherwise it's virtually impossible to separate the dangerousness from hand-rearing.

Exactly what others have told you... hand-reared, on bottle... he has no fear or respect for humans... regards you as one of his herd... and now he intends to assert his dominance... which may result in him killing or seriously injuring someone, as no human is a match for even an 900 pound Jersey bull.
Dairy bulls are famous for their aggressive, dangerous nature, and I don't know that they are inherently more dangerous than beef breeds - but the fact that they are removed from their dam at birth and reared in close proximity to humans is likely much more influential. Beef bulls, reared on their dams, in a pasture setting rarely display this sort of aggressive behavior.
We see similar dangerous (potentially lethal to humans) aggressive behavior from hand-reared stallions and llamas ( it is called 'berserk llama syndrome').

Opinions that he's just a 'rowdy teenager', and cautions to 'not trust' this bull fall far too short... he needs to be GONE ASAP, before he injures or kills someone!
I agree with your assessment (and experience). It just doesn't seem to be worth the risk.

I have 2 halter broke "show bulls" currently and while I never trust an animal completely both of mine are as gently as can be. Both will eat from a bucket, get scratched behind the ears, lead on a halter, etc. It makes it super easy to work them, load them in the trailer, separate them, etc.

If one of them charged me it would be there last day on this farm...
Bottle raised or weaned off their dam?

Jeanne, you and chevytaHOE have 'show bulls'... but I'm guessing that (well, I know Jeanne's are) they are beef breeds reared on their dams, right? Even if in fairly close proximity to humans from early on, they are not like most dairy bulls - which are removed from their dam at birth and hand-reared by humans, so that they have no fear/respect of 'man'... possibly even 'imprinting' on people... and do not hesitate to maim and kill (albeit possibly unintentionally) in their drive to exert their dominance, once they reach sexual maturity.

It may well be that dairy breed bulls are inherently more dangerous than beef breed bulls, but I don't know anyone raising dairy breed bulls on their dams, on pasture; otherwise it's virtually impossible to separate the dangerousness from hand-rearing.
Gotta wonder how many dairy animals are raised on recipient beef cows. It would be interesting to compare docility outcomes.

Bottle bull=hamburger
Also, why are trying to touch him? JMO but I don't try to touch them, theyre not pets. I touch them when I work them and thats it.
I pet all of my cows, it's a tradition. BUT I ONLY DO IT WHEN THEY'RE IN THE CHUTE. They are not pets. We are not friends. It's safer for everyone like that.

Exactly what others have told you... hand-reared, on bottle... he has no fear or respect for humans... regards you as one of his herd... and now he intends to assert his dominance... which may result in him killing or seriously injuring someone, as no human is a match for even an 900 pound Jersey bull.
Dairy bulls are famous for their aggressive, dangerous nature, and I don't know that they are inherently more dangerous than beef breeds - but the fact that they are removed from their dam at birth and reared in close proximity to humans is likely much more influential. Beef bulls, reared on their dams, in a pasture setting rarely display this sort of aggressive behavior.
We see similar dangerous (potentially lethal to humans) aggressive behavior from hand-reared stallions and llamas ( it is called 'berserk llama syndrome').

Opinions that he's just a 'rowdy teenager', and cautions to 'not trust' this bull fall far too short... he needs to be GONE ASAP, before he injures or kills someone!
It's not a dairy bull. He said " We've got an angus/hereford cross bull we raised from a bottle. "

What I worry about is these girls who buy Jersey bull calves because they're cheap, raise 'em on bottles and make cuddle pets out of them. I've seen bringing them into Tractor Supply on a leash.
This is suicidal.

This fellow's black baldy, I guess thats what he is, want to keep him for a year just always go into the pasture in a truck or a tractor. All bulls are a force of nature.

5270286-3903232710-ab409.jpg

This fellow's black baldy, I guess thats what he is, want to keep him for a year just always go into the pasture in a truck or a tractor. All bulls are a force of nature.

View attachment 25026
It is a Mexican fighting bull. Once I got to El Paso, then George told me that 10 of the cows I was picking up, he got from a neighboring ranch, and that if they were bred, it would be to one of these bulls. I was kinda pissed but really didn't care if any were bred...not at $250.... but just assumed if they were it would be to a Corr bull. But all the way home I got to thinking about how these are the same height as Corriente just about all of this breed I have ever seen were black, so good chance they are homo black. And just look at the muscling.! These things have a full size head, are built like a beef bull, with half the size and as much or more of their strength. So maybe having half Mexican fighting cattle and half Corr won't be a bad thing, if the resulting heifers at least retained all the Plus-es that Corriente bring to the table with what we are doing. Easy keeper, parasite and insect resistance, efficient foragers,etc. But if they frame up and muscled up like this bad boy, then their angus calves might be a little stockier as they got older. Then you could sell them a little older and heavier. Now I hope all 10 of those are all bred to one like this. And the horn shape on these cattle are perfect roping, and seem to be a consistent shape, so if some of them have bull calves it would be fine.

P.S... No kidding about their full-size strength and power. A promoter up here bought one to use for cowboy poker, but decided that bull might kill a spectator that wanted to play, so he just turned it out for bull fighters to play with, jump over, etc. after each event. After one intermission when they got it out of the arena, some idiot in the back let into the bullpen. He hit a high dollar bucking bull right behind his front legs, right through the lungs, etc, and picked that 2200 lb bull up on its horns, and ran across the pen ,with that pull he shish-ka=bob-ed held 5 feet in the air like it was made of paper mache. Well, maybe one of those 10 is bred , and we will see.

Last edited:
It is a Mexican fighting bull. Once I got to El Paso, then George told me that 10 of the cows I was picking up, he got from a neighboring ranch, and that if they were bred, it would be to one of these bulls. I was kinda pissed but really didn't care if any were bred...not at $250.... but just assumed if they were it would be to a Corr bull. But all the way home I got to thinking about how these are the same height as Corriente just about all of this breed I have ever seen were black, so good chance they are homo black. And just look at the muscling.! These things have a full size head, are built like a beef bull, with half the size and as much or more of their strength. So maybe having half Mexican fighting cattle and half Corr won't be a bad thing, if the resulting heifers at least retained all the Plus-es that Corriente bring to the table with what we are doing. Easy keeper, parasite and insect resistance, efficient foragers,etc. But if they frame up and muscled up like this bad boy, then their angus calves might be a little stockier as they got older. Then you could sell them a little older and heavier. Now I hope all 10 of those are all bred to one like this. And the horn shape on these cattle are perfect roping, and seem to be a consistent shape, so if some of them have bull calves it would be fine.

P.S... No kidding about their full-size strength and power. A promoter up here bought one to use for cowboy poker, but decided that bull might kill a spectator that wanted to play, so he just turned it out for bull fighters to play with, jump over, etc. after each event. After one intermission when they got it out of the arena, some idiot in the back let into the bullpen. He hit a high dollar bucking bull right behind his front legs, right through the lungs, etc, and picked that 2200 lb bull up on its horns, and ran across the pen ,with that pull he shish-ka=bob-ed held 5 feet in the air like it was made of paper mache. Well, maybe one of those 10 is bred , and we will see.
Fighting bulls weight about ~1300#. Before the fights they tell the name of the bull, year born, and weight. They're incredibly strong, but the muscling is up front, they got no but. I've watched videos of the cows, and they're pathetic looking. I think for the amount of infrastructure you'd need, it would vastly outweigh the positives they may bring.

Fighting bulls weight about ~1300#. Before the fights they tell the name of the bull, year born, and weight. They're incredibly strong, but the muscling is up front, they got no but. I've watched videos of the cows, and they're pathetic looking. I think for the amount of infrastructure you'd need, it would vastly outweigh the positives they may bring.
I'd think for the purposes he's talking about he's already set up.

Well, they have more butt than Corriente do. And I would not buy one of these bulls, even if you could. These things are raised without human contact for a year. Then they are rounded up and sent to be tested. They test them with picadors..mounted bull fighters. Rules are strict that the first and only time they encounter a human on foot is when they enter the ring. It would be too dangerous for them to be in a second fight with a matador on foot, thus the bull is killed. If he was a good one, his brother or father is used to breed more. Rarely, the audience can give a thumbs up to spare the bull, but he can never fight again....he will be put out to stud. I am getting some more Corr cows exposed to one, if the calves I am bout to have turn out like I think they will.

Latest posts