Fools rush in

Help Support CattleToday:

StrojanHerefords

Reaction score
Over on Facebook, there was a post about how nice people are in registered Hereford business. I am thinking they must have not been in the game very long to talk that way. For those who have been around registered cattle of any breed, we are well aware of shady dealings. The thing to remember is whatever politician you don't like is on a personal level very charming.
The post gave a couple of names of people who the deemed to be especially nice. One I got messed up with on a deal to share a trailer to California and the other I believe if the DNA records are released will be shown to be a fraud. When you have people spending $10,000 on a pregnancy there is going to be wolves circling.

People buy into registered animals and their recent investment makes them the newest sage of the subject sitting up on the mountaintop. The more they spend, the higher the instant IQ. I just discussed a historic Angus herd with a guy who was mad that folks with long term experiences and firsthand knowledge of problems were not in lockstep on his thoughts of his new and major investments. I just told the truth and moved on. He likely put a red X by my name, too. That's fine - I was honest. Give him the classic 7 years of a purebred breeder and he will be dispersing with a thinner wallet and chasing another fantasy.

Part of the problem for this is the "guru mentality". They find a charming and persuasive guru/expert who is gifted in sales and self-promotion. He sells them the start and keeps them on the hook. It helps to be able to learn and reason independently. But that is not as easy to believe as the quick and expensive "happily ever after" sales.

I have the same issue with some people right now. They went and bought pureblood, registered Angus cattle because they don't like "the beating" at the auction barn. Now they have done nothing to sync the cattle, register or develope the calves, and they have spent a bunch of money.

They will end up dumping them at the auction barn because they also haven't done any thing to market them and they will blame the barn for not getting what they are worth.

They are wanting to see what our calves bring to decide if they want to sell some. They are going to get their feeling hurt.

There is this image of the honest upright American farmer, which by and large is fairly true. Not many want to live this lifestyle. But the folks selling to the farmer seem to attract a lot of schemers and frauds. I got burned myself a couple times.

Part of the problem for this is the "guru mentality"
This problem is all over agriculture. I am into regenerative ag (which itself is a loose term) and so much of the world is about Gabe Brown, Greg Judy etc. Everyone is personal branding as if they were the next John Deere.

@dave_shelby i think you're right, most farmers and ranchers are basically honest hard working folks.
The problem is there's always a get rich scheme or at the very least an angle to exploit that attracts a lot folks and it becomes a marketing scheme. Most of those angles only work once and that's when somebody gets hooked and buys into whatever it is.

On the subject of registered cattle, I've been around several different registered breeds, money talks in every one of them. Seen breed reps and sale managers literally run over other folks to speak and shake hands with the new big money Johnny come lately. Most times a few years later they disperse.
Was at a few registered sales in a row where a new outfit was buying high dollar lots and buying up a majority of the other lots too. They were really getting praised from the auction block.
Wasn't long till they were dispersing.

A fool and his money...

Have to admit that auctions make it hard to be wise It's not only the auctioneer but the talk around the food table from the other "buyers".

Latest posts