Wintertime in Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Backbone Ranch

Reaction score
Knock on wood, it has been a relatively mild winter here so far. We have gotten several slow, steady rains over the last few months. Not enough to fill the ponds, but enough to saturate the ground and get some winter grass growing. Our spring calves are due to start hitting the ground in 6 weeks or so. We AIed a little over a dozen head last summer, and used BB Backbone's General as clean-up and for live cover over the rest of the herd. This year, we had our largest group of heifers to breed and split them between BB Backbone's General and BB Backbone's Brigadier. Brigadier is a rising 2 year old son of Cadella Park Golden Boy and out of our oldest BB Uncle Tony daughter. This is his first group of females.

BB Backbone's Brigadier with his heifers
2023 Heifers.jpg

Part of the spring calving cow herd
2023 Cow Herd.jpg

BB Sapphire: A rising 7 year old daughter of MCC Trigger's Champion, an older USA bred Murray Grey bull that was born in 1979. She was AIed to Cadella Park Golden Boy and exposed to BB Backbone's General for clean-up. She raised a phenomenal General heifer calf this past year.
BB Sapphire (7 years).jpg

DH Corrine: A 13 1/2 year old 50% Murray Grey x Angus cow. She was part of our first purchase of Murray Greys back in 2011, and has been a tremendous producer for us ever since. We AIed her last year to Coronation Snowman, and she was turned out with General afterwards; she is due to calve again this spring.
DH Corrine (13.5 years).jpg

These next 2 cows are 2019 and 2018 daughters of DH Corrine. They are both 75% Murray Grey and sired by our last herd bull, BB Uncle Tony.
BB Aphrodite (4 years).jpgBB Mimosa (5 years).jpg

A granddaughter of DH Corrine, and out of a full sister to the two cows above. BB Azalea is a 10 month old daughter of BB Backbone's General. She has been a favorite since she was a young calf.
BB Azalea (10 months).jpg

BB Backbone's General: He will be turning 8 years old this March, and has been our primary herd bull for the last few years. He is currently breeding a small group of heifers for us right now. The consistency of his progeny, both bulls and heifers, has brought our program forward considerably. His sire, Monterey Marshall, is renowned for producing stellar females and is one of our all-time favorite AI sires.
BB Backbone's General (8 years)(2).jpg
BB Backbone's General (8 years)(1).jpg

Fine herd you've got there.

Hoping the GB and Snowman's stuck- if not then General will prove why he's still the SR sire there. We've only had a couple General calves so far but both were seedstock quality.

I really appreciate the feedback! This is our 12th year with the Murray Greys, and I have to say that we are extraordinarily happy with them. We have been keeping back the majority of our heifers for the last few years and when we get this group of 2022 heifer calves into production, I believe we will hit our goal for herd size for the land that we have.

There are a handful of breeders, TwoByrdsMG being one of them, who have spearheaded the efforts to work at getting some newer Murray Grey genetics imported from Australia within the last year or two, and I am very excited about the possibilities that that will bring. There has not been much new blood brought over from Australia for close to 20 years now, and as a result, the pool of genetics here in the US is not very diverse. We have been incorporating a handful of the "older style" Murray Grey bulls from the 70s and 80s into our breeding program for the last 7 or 8 years now, and they have been great for us. I am looking forward to seeing how some of those females cross with the new Australian sires.

I really appreciate the feedback! This is our 12th year with the Murray Greys, and I have to say that we are extraordinarily happy with them. We have been keeping back the majority of our heifers for the last few years and when we get this group of 2022 heifer calves into production, I believe we will hit our goal for herd size for the land that we have.

There are a handful of breeders, TwoByrdsMG being one of them, who have spearheaded the efforts to work at getting some newer Murray Grey genetics imported from Australia within the last year or two, and I am very excited about the possibilities that that will bring. There has not been much new blood brought over from Australia for close to 20 years now, and as a result, the pool of genetics here in the US is not very diverse. We have been incorporating a handful of the "older style" Murray Grey bulls from the 70s and 80s into our breeding program for the last 7 or 8 years now, and they have been great for us. I am looking forward to seeing how some of those females cross with the new Australian sires.
Got two more AUS bulls lined up this year and some embryos in the works. I am excited to see what these new AUS bulls can do for the American breeders.

We are also thankful to see the diverse Heritage genetics being used within your herd and look forward to our first calf from Golden Boy (due next week).

Latest posts