Aggressive Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

That seems a little extreme.

I had an angus/corriente steer we were feeding out that seemed aggressive. I had sold the other steers to make grain feeding easier. I played ring around the rosey with him using a tree or round bale feeder between him and me. One day when he was acting aggressive I picked up a tree branch and threw it out into the pasture. He acted just like a dog and ran over to the branch. I guess he was just bored and needed something or somebody to "play" with like he had done with the other steers. I guess cattle do better when they have company.
It's not like I'm singe handedly mowing down the farm animals of the world, I just reserve the option. Also, yes, they are happier with company.

Don't carry a gun when I work cattle. If I did, though, I'd have shot many.
The temptation is there.

I had an angus/corriente steer we were feeding out that seemed aggressive. I had sold the other steers to make grain feeding easier. I played ring around the rosey with him using a tree or round bale feeder between him and me. One day when he was acting aggressive I picked up a tree branch and threw it out into the pasture. He acted just like a dog and ran over to the branch. I guess he was just bored and needed something or somebody to "play" with like he had done with the other steers. I guess cattle do better when they have company.
Haven't fed one out in years, but always gave them Jolly Balls and empty tubs to play with, especially if it was just one. I'd have to retrieve the Jolly Balls from the alfalfa field every day, but it really did keep him/them entertained and were easy to be around, not aggressive at all.

If I am packing a gun it is hunting season. I have worked for rodeo contractors, cowboyed on real big wild ranches, and handle range cows real regularly. Never once felt the need to have a gun.
You do you, I do me. I don't know why me choosing to do so upset so many people. It was always as simple as everyone just letting the other do as they see fit and leaving the rest alone. I pretty much always carry a gun, it's the second thing I put on every morning and about the last thing I take off every night. I will take it off for weddings, funerals, and court. That's about it. My grandfather, who had as much as or more experience than any of you, started keeping one close after some bad experiences including getting his tailbone broken by a steer. He taught me to do so, so I do.

You do you, I do me. I don't know why me choosing to do so upset so many people. It was always as simple as everyone just letting the other do as they see fit and leaving the rest alone. I pretty much always carry a gun, it's the second thing I put on every morning and about the last thing I take off every night. I will take it off for weddings, funerals, and court. That's about it. My grandfather, who had as much as or more experience than any of you, started keeping one close after some bad experiences including getting his tailbone broken by a steer. He taught me to do so, so I do.
Did I mention you or quote you in any way? Did I say anything about being up set? Not every thing said on here is about you.

More people, more problems.
Where I live now for the last 4 1/2 years there certainly aren't many people. But where I lived for the 66 years before that move there is a lot of people. It is not just population. There is or has to be a certain mentality which would be difficult to describe in a short message here.

I looked up the population density in the 2 counties I lived in Washington. They are 449.9 and 335.3 per square mile. Both of those counties have very big timber areas toward the eastern part of the county where there is nobody lives. So the actual inhabited area are much more highly populated. Where I live now it is 5.2 people per square mile. We are pretty darn sparely populated.

Well, they have more butt than Corriente do. And I would not buy one of these bulls, even if you could. These things are raised without human contact for a year. Then they are rounded up and sent to be tested. They test them with picadors..mounted bull fighters. Rules are strict that the first and only time they encounter a human on foot is when they enter the ring. It would be too dangerous for them to be in a second fight with a matador on foot, thus the bull is killed. If he was a good one, his brother or father is used to breed more. Rarely, the audience can give a thumbs up to spare the bull, but he can never fight again....he will be put out to stud. I am getting some more Corr cows exposed to one, if the calves I am bout to have turn out like I think they will.
Fascinating! Thank you for sharing.

I keep a lh/char cross every year for a beef. Wife likes the 3 lh cows for pasture pictures and friends and family likes to come out and feed them cubes. I decided to use the cross for beef and to be honest they make some of the best burger, roast and brisket we have had. The lh in them does somehow make them get aggressive when you feed them out. From 120 days in lot on you don't get in the pen. It's not just cattle though. Grew up showing and racing horses. I just hated riding dads halter horses. Fed up all the time and they got jumpy and aggressive too. Just can't trust a fat and happy animal of that size

In my time here I have noticed people in the SE and south tend to pack much more often than people here in the PNW do.
The mule has a loaded gun rack all the time. More for the critters than anything else. Between coyotes, armadillo and Mexican buzzards you need one

The mule has a loaded gun rack all the time. More for the critters than anything else. Between coyotes, armadillo and Mexican buzzards you need one
What's the deal with the Mexican buzzards?

I can't speak for @crossbreed, but I know those black-headed Mexican buzzards will eat anything that can't get away, and don't wait for it to die like the native red-headed ones do. They got to a cow that was down having a calf before I found her once. It made me sick to my stomach to see what they did to her.

I do wonder what he has against armadillos.

I can't speak for @crossbreed, but I know those black-headed Mexican buzzards will eat anything that can't get away, and don't wait for it to die like the native red-headed ones do. They got to a cow that was down having a calf before I found her once. It made me sick to my stomach to see what they did to her.

I do wonder what he has against armadillos.
Well, armadillos can root up soft fields about as well as hogs can and for some reason I've always seen big numbers of them in singular areas. I know a couple of folks have asked me to shoot any that I see on their places.

Are these Mexican buzzards also called white-tips? I've heard of "white-tip" buzzards going after calves and downed cows, I was warned about them plenty growing up but as of yet have only seen one cow prematurely whittled on by buzzards and I was not able to see much about the buzzards before they fled.

What's the deal with the Mexican buzzards?
Around here they will kill calves. Catch them napping on a sunny hillside, pluck out eyes and then tear out backside and they bleed out quickly. Also will go after cows during birthing. Ranchers around here lose dozens every year. 200lbs is largest I have lost

Latest posts