900 lb bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Hey SOB, I am not the one that said he was" jumping everything at the barn today" what was he jumping then?? If you think all the cows at the sale are clean as a whistle you need to get out of frost bite more often!

fenceman":2knhiii0 said:
Myself and others have given you intelligent and heartfelt advice(except fot the guy who calls them boys and girls) with no malice intended.
That would be me....so very sorry you didnt approve

didn't approve or disaprove it's just that on the cattle forum we call them bulls and cows, and sometimes bull calves and heifers.

Bobby a 900 pound bull will not have a problem raising up and breeding the cow. I'm not getting into the fertitility stuff because I upset some people with what I said earlier. I have had a 750 pound bull breed a full grown so it is possible. Just my 2 cents I think I have already mentioned this once however.

You said he was a black bull with a blaze face. I think those calves will turn out to look really good especially if they come out with that blaze face. If you have good cows the calves will grow well. I think you made the perfect choice for your situation. Good luck and I would like to see a picture of him if possible.

He was in a pen with other young bulls and jumping them . All bulls in this pen were 700-1000 lbs . Buying cows through a sale-barn has risks and is not for everybody . I have had my share of issues too . Every cow I buy is vaccinated / wormed / tagged / and given antibiotic half the time just in case at the barn before I load them then quarantined and observed before being exposed to the others

3waycross":1104h0hl said:
fenceman":1104h0hl said:
Myself and others have given you intelligent and heartfelt advice(except fot the guy who calls them boys and girls) with no malice intended.
That would be me....so very sorry you didnt approve

didn't approve or disaprove it's just that on the cattle forum we call them bulls and cows, and sometimes bull calves and heifers.
With all due respect, i did call them bulls and cows. Then i used the words boys and girls figuratively. Sorry you couldnt keep up. Or maybe your kinda of a bully. Could be either i dont know??

Bobby, I have a neighbor that runs 200+ moma cows. And he buys all his herd bulls at the sale barn, been doing it that way for 45 years. It works for him, but it's not the right way. And I wouldn't do what you did, but I'm willing to bet it works for you also.

HG , I haven't found a better way . Most of the Craigslist cattle around here are just Salebarn cattle relisted . The high end stock doesn't work for me because I aim to make a profit by the second calf ( pretty sure thats about like its always been ) I have two herds and am a little riskier on one herd that is leased property by the year . If she's young enough , raises a good calf , and breeds back I move her to my place

I never buy a bull over a year old and haven't for 30 years.
Now I don't overwork him and the cows are all bred at different trimesters when he comes here so he has
so growing time. Now calving year around makes a huge difference in he isn't getting overworked
when he gets turned out. My rule of thumb was 12 months he could handle 12 and handle one more
each month until he matured. I never ran over 37 and he was on feed until grown.
Now I have cut back I lend him to my neighbor as 12 to 15 cows give him a wandering eye.
That is all that wanders cause he doesn't like electricity.

You just have to find what works for you there is no one size fits all here.

I have seen plenty of young bulls cover cows heck seen one yearling cover almost 30 cows but it is not something I would do. I get that you need to get your cows covered and you don't want to rush out and spend a lot of money on a good bull. If it was me I would have bought the best looking old bull at the sale barn had the barn test him if he was good take him home. Bulls usually don't get old producing trash, and usually when people sell their bull there is still some goody left in them.

Used to be a lot of small commercial herds around here. The old boys would just go look at a Bull and buy him. Maybe look at his sire if on site. No EPDs or BSE. If he don't breed, bring him back.
Most here are saying if he's fertile he'll breed them. As mentioned, if you don't have him tested you'll know when they start cycling again. I truly understand your situation and your logic. I have purchased Bulls I haven't been overly impressed with to fill in until I can do better. It still makes me sleep better if he's been tested and I have some numbers on him. Things will work out.

The thing that bugs me ,is why was the original post made? If you do not want honest advice, do not post a loaded question. If you need to post weasel words to justify your decision that you already made, that says a lot! :cowboy: By the way I do NOT have 15,000 posts so this reply may not be valid.

mwj":jur6hbx6 said:
The thing that bugs me ,is why was the original post made? If you do not want honest advice, do not post a loaded question. If you need to post weasel words to justify your decision that you already made, that says a lot! :cowboy: By the way I do NOT have 15,000 posts so this reply may not be valid.

The original post was asking if a 900 pound bull was capable of getting up there and being able to stick the cattle. I think we all took the fertile/infertile a little to far lol. He said he was going to do the test.

fitz":24fy43e4 said:
As mentioned, if you don't have him tested you'll know when they start cycling again. I truly understand your situation and your logic. I have purchased Bulls I haven't been overly impressed with to fill in until I can do better. It still makes me sleep better if he's been tested and I have some numbers on him. Things will work out.
I have to agree with Fitz. The original question that was asked wasn't answerable with any certainty so people tried to give advice. Please don't get mad when you ask a question and people attempt to give advice. On the other hand sometime we get carried away and take things too far when answering a post.

I have a question; is it only in Missouri where a breeding age bull can not be sold for anything but slaughter? If you take your bull to auction, it has to be sold for slaughter only, unless you agree to have the stockyard hold him for several days and have him Trich tested. That is what I have been told by my vet at least...

Many other states had Trich rules and requirements before MO. You are correct about MO though. We purchased a 4 year old bull through a local salebarn a month or so ago and received a BSE as well as a Trich test.