900 lb bull

Help Support CattleToday:

randie to answer your question.we calved out almost 50 cows in less than 90 days with 1 bull doing the breeding.now we have maybe 10 late cows and heifers left to calve.most of those cows should be bred back by now.my bull knocked himself out just shy of his 5th bday.heres the kicker theres was about 4 days where we had anywhere from 2 to 6 calves born a day.

My question had nothing to do with a Bse ( I stated assuming he passes ) anyway he's turned out and it didn't take long to find out if he can get to it . For those that asked he's a black bull with a little white on his face , polled black skin/nose, already got his summer clothes on and shiny , docile , mousy looking head , got a huge scrotum nuts side by side uniform looking .

3wayCross - You are right I do not know his pedigree or Epd's , Nor do I know my other cows/bull I have I bought at our local sale-barn ( most have come from several herd dispersal's over the years - That local guys worked a lifetime perfecting . Good young herd of working cows. I wouldn't trade you cow for cow . My calves top the sale and thats what it comes down to me buddy

- I keep a close eye on my operation and will know when my cows settle/cycle but do agree a Bse is the way to go but not what I asked

BobbyLummus1":1z0m9pnv said:
I bought a 900 lb bull today , I had to sell a bull 5 weeks back (fence jumper) and haven't found a replacement till today , Ideally I would like a long yearling bull but haven't been able to locate one in my price range . I felt like he'd be better than nothing till I find what I want ?? He's in a pasture with 8 springers and 15 pair . Most of the pairs should be bred back . So he would just need to breed the remaining cows as they calf . He a hard calf been off milk and has the leg to get to it I think, jumping everything at the barn today . I gave 175.50 for him and feel like I could get my money back and some in 4-6 months worst case scenario and buy some time to find a replacement bull I really like .

Do you think he can get the job done ? I calf year around too

What does this mean then? For the record. I also don't care about his EPD's or your cowherd or your friends cowherd but you asked ONE question and if it doesn't mean CAN HE KNOCK UP A COW THEN WTH DOES IT MEAN? LAST TIME I LOOKED GETTING THE JOB DONE WAS GETTING THE COW BRED! THAT'S WHY I SUGGESTED THE BSE. btw the question of trich came up. But I will assume that you don't care about that either............YET!

I stick by my original answer. He will eventually breed cows. Unless he doesn't then he won't. All mine get a bse. It's great info but no guarantee. The bottom line is you have no info on the bull other than his weight. I assume you've seen he has teaticles but I dont remember it being specifically mentioned. He was at the sale barn for a reason. With no more info than that your guess is as good as anyone's and you won't know till he either does it or doesn't.

3wayCROSS - You must be be some kind of dam-n F00l . This is simple - I'm asking in regards to age/weight not fertility . I stated "assuming he passes" and explained a situation I'm in where he would only need to breed the 8 remaining cows as they calve over the next few months .

This is in regards to a 900 lb close to virgin bull - ( probably one of the most unlikely candidates for trich as well , so change the subject .. but wait I did buy him at the salebarn so he must be a no good diseased infested mongrel junk sob

BobbyLummus1":bfjsf5ma said:
My question had nothing to do with a Bse ( I stated assuming he passes ) anyway he's turned out and it didn't take long to find out if he can get to it . For those that asked he's a black bull with a little white on his face , polled black skin/nose, already got his summer clothes on and shiny , docile , mousy looking head , got a huge scrotum nuts side by side uniform looking .

3wayCross - You are right I do not know his pedigree or Epd's , Nor do I know my other cows/bull I have I bought at our local sale-barn ( most have come from several herd dispersal's over the years - That local guys worked a lifetime perfecting . Good young herd of working cows. I wouldn't trade you cow for cow . My calves top the sale and thats what it comes down to me buddy

- I keep a close eye on my operation and will know when my cows settle/cycle but do agree a Bse is the way to go but not what I asked

What you asked is an unanswerable crapshoot. There are ways to up your odds and you're not using them. Which is fine. Doesn't mean he won't work. People have given you things to consider but your question isn't known till it's known.

Trich is something that I didn't think about. But the chance of his bull having trich is slim to none. IMO
Now if he was 4 years or older I would consider trich a very real possibility. I've always been told young bulls don't pick trich up for some reason.
3Waycross, I'm with you 100% on the BSE. It's a excellent way to know if he has the goods to get the job done.

I think young bulls have just been exposed to less cows, and that's why trich is less likely...
I did read an article that said older bulls have coarser penises which provides more places to harbor bacteria than their younger counterparts.

I'm with Angus9259.. the question is unanswerable in the way it was posed, and though EPD's are useless for this, a BSE would be useful but we don't have that either.. we don't even have a picture, so how in tarnation can we answer it? We say NO and we're the bad guys, but we'll look stupid if we say YES and it doesn't work

highgrit":1zpeknzq said:
Trich is something that I didn't think about. But the chance of his bull having trich is slim to none. IMO
Now if he was 4 years or older I would consider trich a very real possibility. I've always been told young bulls don't pick trich up for some reason.
3Waycross, I'm with you 100% on the BSE. It's a excellent way to know if he has the goods to get the job done.

Trich only takes one cow to infect him. If it is in the cowherd that those salebarn cows came from then he COULD be infected. Depends on if it is actually active in your state. In Colorado a yearling vrigin bull doesn't have to have a trich test unless he is going out of state. However we triched all of our yearling bulls in order to reassure our bull buyers that they were clean...and we have NO trich in this valley but it is all around us.

BobbyLummus1":1yjxx5h3 said:

Your original question had no mention of a BSE. You asked others for their thoughts and you got them. It is your operation just do as you feel lead to. If cattle were a sure thing more people would be doing it. Sure there is the possibility he can get the job done just as much as a older bull could not get the job done. Some people just do things to minimize the risks and others take the gamble.

gus2121":3bylvysk said:
was he in with open cows at the sale?? What is the worst that could happen?? Trich comes to mind, that will sure mess things up for a long time.
What sale have you ever been to that bulls are penned with open cows?
Either
They sure do things funny in Ar-Kansas or you're just making things up to give him something to worry about.

Has anyone here had any results or experience getting a few cows bred with 900 lb bull ? I do understand most will not have a 900 lb bull on their cows .

- I had a few options after selling the fence jumper liability

1) Jump right out and buy a $5000 bull to breed 8 cows

2) Look for a bull and have no bull and open cows until I find the replacement bull

3) Sleave them and AI whats open and keep looking for replacement

4) I chose to spend $1500 on a 900lb young bull I see potential in , If he can breed 8 cows over the next few months , he will then have months to grow out . By then his kill price will make me $ or I will have a herd bull for $1500

-- Or I could lose my whole herd and the farm... lol right 3way kma

Have seen it here on more than one occasion, where there's several bulls riding whatever is in their path at the sale barn. Could be slaughter bulls and cull cows, but some of them get bought and live to see another day on a farm.

My oldest current bull was destined for the meat wagon, but once bought I liked the look of him too much and decided not to butcher him, tracked down his owner and breeding and now hes a great bull.

As long as your bull has the interest to breed, let him go at it.

Seems to be a simple question about a simple problem, and a lot of complicated answers. Your cows need a bull this is the bull you got. And you seem to like him ok. Now can he do the the job? He is a boy right and they are girls right. I think they will figure it out. Heck just watch them close for a month, you can tell if things are working out

Son of Butch":2opj7etx said:
gus2121":2opj7etx said:
was he in with open cows at the sale?? What is the worst that could happen?? Trich comes to mind, that will sure mess things up for a long time.
What sale have you ever been to that bulls are penned with open cows?
Either
They sure do things funny in Ar-Kansas or you're just making things up to give him something to worry about.[/quote

I guess you seen him unload off the trailer by him self and get sorted off immediately. Maybe he was in the calf pen with heifers, exposed or unexposed who knows. That makes me laugh with all the ranch hands I have seen working and for you to think 100% of the time he was there he was isolated. A bull of that size coming in has at some point in his life tried to breed something. No one knows what. Thus is the reason trich stays around and can't be eradicated. :tiphat:

Rahe Family Belties":3toqm3r5 said:
23 cow is too much to expect a young bull to do in a short amount of time.
23?
15 have already been bred to another bull, he'll be over 16 months old before they are ready to breed again.
The other 8 haven't even calved yet.
He's active and according to everyone who has not even seen him, he has already bred every trich infested cow at the
sale barn and probably at whatever god-awful disease ridden farm he came from too, because they sold an animal there.

-- Or I could lose my whole herd and the farm... lol right 3way kma[/quote]

I will ask you again exactly what did you mean when you asked if we thought he could get the job done it it wasn't a question about fertility?

....and BTW that should read kiss my dumb a$$ if you meant for me to kiss YOUR a$$.

Myself and others have given you intelligent and heartfelt advice(except fot the guy who calls them boys and girls) with no malice intended. I sell bulls and try to eliminate every possible thing that can go wrong so as to ensure that people trust that when they buy a bull from me he will perform for them. The reason I suggested a BSE is that it is really the only thing you could do to have any real idea as to whther or not he was actually capable of doing the job for you. If you already knew the answer to your question or didn't really want opinions that differed from yours why did you ask the question?

BobbyLummus1":1yahgxn0 said:
Will do , Assuming he passes what do you think ?

yes you did and I missed it...........so did he pass.......?

BTW if he passed what difference does it make what anyone thinks.

..and Bobby so far you have called me a dam n fool(whatever that is) and told me to kiss your a$$.......you are not a nice person. In the future please try to keep it a little more civil.

all this just for trying to answer a question for you...tsk...tsk...tsk!

Myself and others have given you intelligent and heartfelt advice(except fot the guy who calls them boys and girls) with no malice intended.
That would be me....so very sorry you didnt approve

Latest posts