900 lb bull

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus1

Reaction score
I bought a 900 lb bull today , I had to sell a bull 5 weeks back (fence jumper) and haven't found a replacement till today , Ideally I would like a long yearling bull but haven't been able to locate one in my price range . I felt like he'd be better than nothing till I find what I want ?? He's in a pasture with 8 springers and 15 pair . Most of the pairs should be bred back . So he would just need to breed the remaining cows as they calf . He a hard calf been off milk and has the leg to get to it I think, jumping everything at the barn today . I gave 175.50 for him and feel like I could get my money back and some in 4-6 months worst case scenario and buy some time to find a replacement bull I really like .

Do you think he can get the job done ? I calf year around too

If It was me I would be nervous. how old is he ? and is he just something that was not cut ( AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN ) or has he been left a bull because he is good enough to be a herd sire ? or just a steer with nuts ?

Great disposition and conformation - Can't give exact genetics and epds or care too . Lets pretend he has the best so this tread doesn't go that way and dodge my question . Thanks in advance to anybody who shared their opinion or experience

As long as he passed his BSE he should be able to get the job done. If he hasn't been tested your guess is as good as anyone else, you will know when you preg test.

If I cared anything about getting my cows bred i wouldnt take the chance, If hes 8 or 9 months old I think hed be to young, still needs to mature even if his legs are long enough, alot of younger bulls fail there semen test, but with a little more time they pass. if he happens to be a little older but not growing that well, then I wouldnt want calves out of it. If your a gambler it could work out, I dont like to gamble that much on my calf crop.

Bobby as bse said, a lot has to do with his age and sexual maturity. (No matter what size.) A BSE is a good suggestion. That will be the only way to know unless you are willing to wait and see if your cows cycle back.

He'll be fine. Too young? That will change, one day he'll be too old.
8 head coming up to breed in 4 months.
23 head total with 15 all bred except perhaps a couple that didn't settle for the other bull either.
Treat him right and he'll be ready when you need him.

im tighter than bark on a tree and im looking for a new reg beefmaster bull now.ive been getting prices from $4500 to $6500 for bulls worth buying.every1 was wanting me to buy a young 15 month reg bull and kick him out.but i wont do that.cant risk blowing a young bull up.

BobbyLummus1":3ouyus0e said:
Great disposition and conformation - Can't give exact genetics and epds or care too . Lets pretend he has the best so this tread doesn't go that way and dodge my question . Thanks in advance to anybody who shared their opinion or experience

So let me get this straight...

You bought a calf that you know the following information on...he weighs 900 lbs, you like the way he looks, and he appears to have a good disposition......

Now you are on the internet asking a bunch of total strangers if they think he will work for you, and you don't know anything about his breed composition, calving ease, or really anything else,and you don't really care, and you don't plan to do a BSE on him to actually find out if he is fertile......

what could possibly go wrong...... :roll:

bigbull338":2nof7md2 said:
im tighter than bark on a tree and im looking for a new reg beefmaster bull now.ive been getting prices from $4500 to $6500 for bulls worth buying.every1 was wanting me to buy a young 15 month reg bull and kick him out.but i wont do that.cant risk blowing a young bull up.
You gotta turn him loose sometimes.

If you want to make sure your cows get bred, have a BSE done. If it doesn't matter if they get bred or not, then don't and see what happens. Without a BSE you really have no way of knowing if he is fertile, or how fertile he is. Did they have him aged at the sale? Usually with bigger bulls like that (weight) the sale near me will age them.

I had a guy I am friends with place a first calf cow and her 6 month old bull calf in my pasture to hold until he moved his bulls around. The six month old bull and his momma were in there for about a week. I was to place my bull in the pasture in about a month and a half, Angus bull to be exact on hereford mommas. Well about 10 months later I had the prettiest hereford heifer you have ever seen. All of the other cows had black calves and they came within two weeks of each other exactly a month and a half after this bull and his mom were taken out. That six month old bull calf found a way to breed so I am sure a 9 month old can find a way to breed if he is sound.

3waycross":bg4bxcwf said:
BobbyLummus1":bg4bxcwf said:

So let me get this straight...

You bought a calf that you know the following information on...he weighs 900 lbs, you like the way he looks, and he appears to have a good disposition......

Now you are on the internet asking a bunch of total strangers if they think he will work for you, and you don't know anything about his breed composition, calving ease, or really anything else,and you don't really care, and you don't plan to do a BSE on him to actually find out if he is fertile......

what could possibly go wrong...... :roll:

I agree with 3way. As far as dodging your question, your question was "Do you think he'll get the job done?" The best I (or probably anyone else) can answer that is "If he's fertile he'll probably make calves. If he's not he won't." No way to know that except get a BSE or wait and see.

A BSE is only good for that day. Very few bulls can't breed, same as humans. There's a lot that shouldn't be able to breed, same as humans.

Highgrit, VERY true!
With my homeraised bull I figure i'm taking less of a chance by using him on my heifers than the older one... I'm not going to overload him, he'll be with about 6-8 head.. I'm quite confident that his calves will be smaller than that of my Limo bull.. I'd rather have one come up late than a dead calf in the spring.

I sold a 7 month old, 700 lb bull to a friend, by the time he was 10 months he beat the tar our of the 5 year old longhorn and did 80% of the breeding.. by 2 1/2 years old he sent a much bigger bull back home when he intruded on his turf... and he was sent back running as fast as he could.

Without even a picture or any info on your bull.. anything is possible, from a perfect success to dismal failure