900 lb bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch":29rw1sq5 said:
I have a question; is it only in Missouri where a breeding age bull can not be sold for anything but slaughter? If you take your bull to auction, it has to be sold for slaughter only, unless you agree to have the stockyard hold him for several days and have him Trich tested. That is what I have been told by my vet at least...
Our auction yard had a sign stating something to that effect also. I do not remember the exact requirement, but there was one. I think the seller could submit documentation.

Fire Sweep Ranch":1eetxfpt said:
I have a question; is it only in Missouri where a breeding age bull can not be sold for anything but slaughter? If you take your bull to auction, it has to be sold for slaughter only, unless you agree to have the stockyard hold him for several days and have him Trich tested. That is what I have been told by my vet at least...

Kinda cracks me up how some of you red states have such intrusive cattle policies. Up here anything goes for whatever you want.

Oh yeah, it's the registered bullshyt bull crowd that probably pushed this crap through :)

AllForage":12avmhow said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":12avmhow said:

Kinda cracks me up how some of you red states have such intrusive cattle policies. Up here anything goes for whatever you want.

Oh yeah, it's the registered bullshyt bull crowd that probably pushed this crap through :)

or it could be the poor broke sob crowd who's neighbor turned out an untested bull with trich and it jumped the fence and infected his whole cowherd and now he is out of business..........it don't matter what color your state is if your cows have trich.

Come on allforage you are way smarter than that statement.

Fire Sweep Ranch":1la6ltcu said:

That's the law in Texas too. I don't know if it gets enforced much. I would be hesitant to buy a non-virgin bull without a trich test, law or no law.

And what does politics have to do with it?

Guess I don't know about trich, never dealt with it. Bringing home anything from the barn is a risk and any a$$holes cows can jump fences and infect your herd with whatever. Neighbors brought us pinkeye, but I gurss that can show up on its own.

Still don't stop private treaty sales of passing trich right?

Regulation is regulation, whether it's cows or children or whatever. I just find it interesting what freedoms and rules certain folks want and the ones they fight against, that's all.

In MO unless a bull has been tested trich clean it has to go for slaughter (unless the sale barn is willing to hold it till after a trich test). Not sure what happens when someone buys it claiming it is goign to slaughter then takes it home and breeds it.

AllForage":3ouy9apm said:
Still don't stop private treaty sales of passing trich right?
If someone buys a bull and it isn;t tested and has trich I would imagine the seller would be in deep schitt with the state.

AllForage":31lexrn4 said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":31lexrn4 said:

Really? Red State. This state I live in might unfortunately be a Red State but it was the Cattlemen's Association that asked for the law here that requires any non-virgin bulls to be trich tested before they go to the country. I know Idaho has stricter laws and they had them way before we did. And Idaho is far from a Red State.

Dave":100bfcsk said:
AllForage":100bfcsk said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":100bfcsk said:

Really? Red State. This state I live in might unfortunately be a Red State but it was the Cattlemen's Association that asked for the law here that requires any non-virgin bulls to be trich tested before they go to the country. I know Idaho has stricter laws and they had them way before we did. And Idaho is far from a Red State.

Your response is not showing up on the board. try again

AllForage":2ifsfqbq said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":2ifsfqbq said:

Wow,who peed in your Cheerios?
Registered folks had nothing to do with it, it was the state vet that pushed it here if I remember correctly. It meant to protect the cow owner, not the people who sell bulls. Every fall and spring, we have several vet clinics that are put on, and the extension folks are there. For $95, they will do a BSE that includes a trich test, vaccination, and worming of your bull. It is a pretty good deal, and the clinics book up pretty early. The extension office reports about 12% of the bulls will fail the BSE, and numerous come back positive for trich.

Trich has nothing to do with Red or Blue states it is simply states trying to stop a disease that can cripple an operation. Around here if you buy a bull at a sale barn they test him but it is up to you to keep him penned up by himself. When I sold my Angus bull private treaty had him tested and kept him penned until test came back clean per the law.

Really? Red State. This state I live in might unfortunately be a Red State but it was the Cattlemen's Association that asked for the law here that requires any non-virgin bulls to be trich tested before they go to the country. I know Idaho has stricter laws and they had them way before we did. And Idaho is far from a Red State.[/quote]

[/Dave, there are many folks on here who live in places where Trich and PAP are just gibberish to them because their lives are not affected by those things. I agree with you these regs are pushed by the folks who's lives are affected by these issuesb]

3waycross":12697jyq said:

[/Dave, there are many folks on here who live in places where Trich and PAP are just gibberish to them because their lives are not affected by those things. I agree with you these regs are pushed by the folks who's lives are affected by these issuesb][/quote]

Vic, I realize that. Living just above sea level PAP isn't something to concern me but I still have an understanding of how it affects those working with higher elevations. There are a lot of people who live in a pretty small world and think the rest of the world is just like where they live.

The bull in question was bought March 31 and confirmed working April 1. I don't care where he came from individual or barn. But he was out of the barn. Unless the seller had paperwork confirming he was clean at the sale then I Dought the bull was tested. Would be the fastest turn around on trich test I have heard of. Just watching a cow to see if she settles recycles is in my opinion poor management on an untested bull. IF by chance the bull is positive the cows would then recycle but need to be not introduced to a bull for 3-5 months in order for them to clear up. If that is true then yes you could go a year w/o calves dam fool or not it would not be your choice then. Not trying to ruffle feathers but for $100 seems pretty small for what problems it can prevent. There is a small chance the bull has it, but there is a chance without confirming

There are a lot of people on here who don't spend the $5-10 to vaccinate their calves properly. Why would we expect them to spend $100 on a trich test?

Supposedly if your cows have a calf every year, your herd is free and clear of Trich? There's a lot of trouble out there if you go looking for it. Myself I'm a professional procrastinator.

Approximately 90 percent of cows infected with trich will abort. So if all of your cows calve then I would say you are clear. Just don't bring an untested bull in and take a chance of screwing it all up

FSR nobody peed in my Cheerios. I am just aware of the registered promotional bullshyt. I do raise registered animals as well. Just open any sale catalog and read the tag lines, they practically stop short of curing cancer :)

The red state comment was joking, no need to get all riled up folks

I'll respond

Those that think I came across the wrong way need reread 3way's response to my question . I addressed ONLY 3way when I responded , did not like his tone and I'll respond however I please . His response was rude and condescending . He is in the bull business, this is not what those guys want to hear , I get that . I'm a risk taker and know the consequences

To Gus guy - you can KMA too .. I have some concerns buying a 900lb young bull but trich would be near last on that list . If he was a used bull then I would want him tested .

I got some pics today will try and figure out how to post them - Would like to hear from anyone with a comment . Thanks for the responses

I guess you know he has not been used? Don't worry I wont post again, just trying to help avoid a catastrophe.

Latest posts