You like red??

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne,

Unfortunately it appears all the pictures have been touched up in some way. They are some nice heifers but I would much rather see them in their working clothes. After all they won't have their show clothes on once they hit the real world.

dun":30ctl88q said:
Now if you get spots on them you'll finally have some real Simmenthals

i am glad someone else said it for me this time. ;-)

i want to commend you for raising some top quality cattle for your breed.the heifers show the time an breeding an care that youve put into them.have you thought about flushing the cow.you are taking your best to the sale.

Ouch - you guys are tough on the "touchup". I didn't have anything to do with it. The photographer is another cattleperson. She wouldn't do anything to jeapradise (sp?) the integrity of my animals. As I said, we did minor clipping because of our harsh weather. The cattle themselves are as good or bad as what you see. They will be shaved bald for the sale, because I have nothing to hide on them & it's a whole lot easier to bald them (6 lots). Of course, we don't bald the babies. Just clip up their faces & neck & tailhead. Come to the sale May 9 in Gettysburg Pa and see for yourself.

Bigbull - thanks. No, she's only a 3-year old with her 2nd calf on side. Not proven in our books. 1 great calf doesn't make a great cow, although she is phenotypically awesome & walks out great on a big foot. She is a typical Macho As U daughter. Great cows. Of course, who knows, if someone wants to "borrow" her for flushing like our other cow, we'd probably be game.
And I think I have a better one in the lot that we will be showing for the first time this year.

Jovid - most of these pictured are in "the real world". The spring heifer Uh Oh & the bred fall heifer Tease are still on grain (about 5#/hd/day - all winter) & baleage. The rest have been on baleage, like all my herd. Far from being pampered, other than getting to spend a night in the barn to make sure they weren't frozen snowballs for the pics - and getting a mini haircut. And the two heifers were in the barn for a week so they would clean up themselves on good bedding. Had to have Uh Oh really cleaned up for display (NY Simmental booth)

if that's not pampering, my cows would love to come to your place. ;-)

Aero":3b010s2k said:
if that's not pampering, my cows would love to come to your place. ;-)
:???: Huh? are you referring to the baleage or the 1 night in the barn?
Remember, I'm in upstate NY. Putting up dry hay is almost impossible - especially when you don't have your own equipment to pick & choose a window of maybe 3 days with no rain (ha - not too likely).
Winters are a bit harsher here than in the Carolinas (I think that's where you are). So, if you call feeding baleage to the cowherd pampering, than I guess I have a bunch of pampered cows.
Oh, I get it, you are referring to the 5#/hd/day whole shell corn that they get - again - this is upstate NY. If I want my heifers to calve at 21 to 24 months of age, yes, I must be pampering them.

Jeanne,
those are nice heifers i don't care what anyone says.
and i'll take some of that baleage any day over some of the dry hay we feed down here in the Carolinas.
I'm a big fan of the baleage.
and 5# of corn a day is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Diehard40":39wwrir5 said:
Jeanne,
and i'll take some of that baleage any day over some of the dry hay we feed down here in the Carolinas.

Really it is... 5 lb a day X 60 head... 2100 lbs a week at 160.00 for whole corn....
640.00 in suppliment X 5 months feeding (my world)
3200.00 cost increase not counting hay or balage.
But hey like we all say its just money? :cry2:

Cant afford that in a commercial opp....

By the way I agree great looking heifers dont need the feed or the photoshop. :clap:

Hello: For what its worth. I think red is where the real deals are at... I know from experence that you can buy a whole lot more bull if you chose a red one.. The packers and feeders with thier "black kick" has proven it doesnt pay.......................... quality is still quality.
That's my 2 cents worth...

I think all the heifers are really high quality - both the reds and the blacks. However, I think the general theme is that the photoshopping is making the cattle lose creditability. When photoshopping is noticeable, as it is in these pictures, people begin questioning what else has been altered in the photos. If it isn't too late I would have some one redo the pictures or at least keep this in mind for next time.

I think you should do very well at your sale. Good luck.

creativecattle":3b8nu33i said:
I think all the heifers are really high quality - both the reds and the blacks. However, I think the general theme is that the photoshopping is making the cattle lose creditability. When photoshopping is noticeable, as it is in these pictures, people begin questioning what else has been altered in the photos. If it isn't too late I would have some one redo the pictures or at least keep this in mind for next time.
I think you should do very well at your sale. Good luck.
I don't think the photos were taken for our veiwing pleasure only..... from what ive seen of jeanne she's been down this road a few times

redfornow":3qf5w1jw said:
Diehard40":3qf5w1jw said:
Jeanne,

Really it is... 5 lb a day X 60 head... 2100 lbs a week at 160.00 for whole corn....
640.00 in suppliment X 5 months feeding (my world)
3200.00 cost increase not counting hay or balage.
But hey like we all say its just money? :cry2:

Cant afford that in a commercial opp....

By the way I agree great looking heifers dont need the feed or the photoshop. :clap:

What makes you think the photo was modified?

Redfornow - with your figures, that comes out to $53.33/head/winter. That's more than a reasonable amount to increase the energy in their ration. A heifer in great condition at breeding, and turned out on grass, will stay in great condition on baleage the next winter. Keeping her in BCS of 6.5 for calving will increase WW easily by 50# and get bred back quickly, so that would pay for the $53 grain. The red 2-year old calved 2-1 and was in standing heat on 3-4. I'd say that was pretty good.
BTW, I have 18 replacement heifers. Cows don't get grain.

Creativectl - alacattleman - Diehard - thanks, appreciate the comments. We've been breeding Simmentals for over 35 years. I don't care if they are red, black or purple polka dotted - just so they are GOOD. And, that they are what the market is willing to pay $$$$.

Our cattle have to be good from the bottom up (feet, legs). They have to be easy keeping & fertle myrtles. We've been 100% AI for all this time, up till past year - with a 60 day calving season. Used a son of Macho As U for cleanup. Must be getting old - it sure was nice letting him do the work. Got 5 calves coming out of him this next two weeks. 1st calf born 1-27 - last due 3-30.

Tough crowd Jeanne, but on the bright side if everyone gets bent out of shape about the photoshop job perhaps I can steal the Uh Oh heifer :D

i bet i dont average #5/week for the whole herd. :shock:

i think a lot can be done by finding animals that thrive in your individual environment w/ little extra inputs. If you dont have grazing available, then hay or baleage is what you have to do. but the corn sounds like a feel-good measure for the farmer's benefit. You would have to be in the arctic to need corn supplement.

if you are selling animals on looks, it's a whole different world and commercial economics dont apply.

if they cant get enough nutrition from the hay or baleage, they are not a fit for their environment. If there is any grass in the pasture during the dead of winter, those cows better go get it. if there is no grass left, they better smile while eating hay only. If they cant stay in good shape on free-choice hay, they will belong to someone else... Including heifers!!

Aero":115vzrd9 said:
if you are selling animals on looks, it's a whole different world and commercial economics dont apply.
Nice post. Is there much money in selling by looks instead of edible beef?

HerefordSire":pqqcpy0f said:
Aero":pqqcpy0f said:
Nice post. Is there much money in selling by looks instead of edible beef?

for some show jocks there are. for me there is not.