You like red??

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2kzhgok1 said:
My replacement heifers get the $53 worth of corn thru the winter. That's what he's opposed to.
He already said he sells his calves for $400, but didn't say how much his yearly cow cost was. Mine's $471

I am sure that the 400 number isnt aimed at me? dont think I have ever tossed out a number that I get?
But just to make sure? I dont get 400 bucks for a calf.... :lol2:

what?":303ehdly said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":303ehdly said:
when my daughter was in 4-H in Kansas, the banks "loaned" kids their money. If they returned after the fair with a ribbon, they didn't charge any interest. Kids signed the loan paper & everything (of course - so did Mom & Dad). I figure small town country banks probably still help the kids like this.
I HAVE SEEN SEVERAL TIMES OVER THE PAST YEARS THAT THE LOCAL COOPS WILL BUY THE CALVES PROVIDE THE FEED.
AFTER THE FAIR THE CALVES ARE SOLD ANY PROFIT GOES TO THE 4-H CHILD THAT RAISED THE CALF OR CALVES. DEATH LOSS IF ANY IS THE EXPENSE OF THE COOP.
IN ADDITION TO THE PROFIT THE CHILD SELLS RIBBON FOR A PREMIUM. THE RIBBON BUYERS ARE USUALLY LOCAL BUSINESS WOMEN AND MEN.

That is the way it is done here and then the coop grocery store buys the meat ,sells it for a good but reasonable price advertising who's steer it was and all proceeds go back to the 4-H kid or association ..That is the only time I buy beef as I raise my own but love to help the kids ..

DO NOT EVER FEED CHICKEN LITTER, TURKEY LITTER ,EGGS ETC...THAT I HAVE READ BEING POSTED LATELY ........ :mad: THERE IS A FRICKEN REASON FOR IT AND I SUGGEST YOU ALL DO SOME RESEARCH OR YOU HAVE NO F'ing BUSINESS AT ALL TO BE RAISING CATTLE..

Feeding animal protein to cattle is prohibited and it p@sses me off to no end when I read of people advocating it..

Sorry to jack your thread Jeanne.. 8)

Herefordsire,

The quality of hair coat that I often mention and "good hair" for a club calf are two very different things for very different reasons.

A good haircoat is heritable, but nutrition also plays a big role in how the coat looks, it doesn't change the inherited quality or lack thereof though. The coat of a bovine is the window through which you can look to see the health status of the animal and how its nutritional needs has been met.

To completely hijack Jeanne's thread...
I know you like dark coated animals, but as a general observation (by me and a few, more much more experienced than me, long term hereford breeders here in SA), poor hair coat quality is found more often in darker coated animals than lighter red animals. Not saying there isn't exceptions to the rule or that all lighter red animals has good coats, just merely our observation after years of selecting for coat quality. Just as a final comment on hereford coat colour, ebony isn't any more breed characteristic than yellow, cherry red to yellowish red is what the original breed standards specify.

Redfornow - no, I was not referring to you - that was Herfordsire.
Knersie - glad you answered the nutritional aspect of hair. I thought he was really being a s@@a@@
indicating that it was nutritional to US!!! to eat. Never know when he's asking an honest question.
The nutritional aspect of hair coat is a whole different aspect to what Club Calf jocks are looking for (although nutritional qualities are also a must). They want long, straight, thick hair that they can get to stand straight out so they can "sculpture" their calf with clippers. (no, not HIGHLAND hair!!!)

So, back to the cattle. It's obvious Knersie likes Uh Oh the best. What cow does everyone like best?
PRETEND there was no photoshop work!!!

dun":1lbiqtmo said:
HerefordSire":1lbiqtmo said:
Is hair quality heritable and nutritional, or just nutitional? The reason this got my attention is because Knersie mentioned hair quality several times in the past.

Since the club calf bulls mention "has good hair" so frequently I would think that it's at least somwhat heritable.
We have a heifer that one of the kids will show this year and the usual comment is that she "has good hair". Her sister from last year was the same way

Thank-you dun for your couple of replies. It sounds like selling show animals is an opportunity to give back to the community provided there is enough margin to work with. Recently though, I wonder how show stock multipliers are coping with a struggling economy. I never would have figured that hair was valued so highly by show stock clients. I especially enjoyed the comment about hair related to environment in colder climates especially. About the only thing I ever considered previously pertaining to hair quality was the ability of the cattle to slick off in spring. Again, shows you how little I know.

redfornow":1nakql3t said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1nakql3t said:
My replacement heifers get the $53 worth of corn thru the winter. That's what he's opposed to.
He already said he sells his calves for $400, but didn't say how much his yearly cow cost was. Mine's $471

I am sure that the 400 number isnt aimed at me? dont think I have ever tossed out a number that I get?
But just to make sure? I dont get 400 bucks for a calf.... :lol2:

redfornow...the $400 calf average was directed at me. I was looking at a $15,000 hay bill or liquidate at weak prices. Either way I was screwed, but I believed the acting incentive resided in a prediction that the markets would get weaker, and they did...fell off a cliff. Jeanne - Simme Valley may have confused posters in the reply you are referring to. I noticed the same thing. We were conversing on another thread and I obtained some insight on top line revenue generation relative to my bottom line, as my specific operaton weakness. At that time, she shared with the board her average annual cow carrying cost. It is very interesting to me how someone skilled Like Jeanne - Simme Valley knows pretty close the benefits of what a little corn will provide. The years of experiece surely showed in that example. It also shows up in the quality of the animals she presents. It will be a wonderful day when I can justify feeding $400 heifers corn.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2wz2qgpk said:
Knersie - glad you answered the nutritional aspect of hair. I thought he was really being a s@@a@@
indicating that it was nutritional to US!!! to eat. Never know when he's asking an honest question.
The nutritional aspect of hair coat is a whole different aspect to what Club Calf jocks are looking for (although nutritional qualities are also a must). They want long, straight, thick hair that they can get to stand straight out so they can "sculpture" their calf with clippers. (no, not HIGHLAND hair!!!)

So, back to the cattle. It's obvious Knersie likes Uh Oh the best. What cow does everyone like best?PRETEND there was no photoshop work!!!
you mean we have a choice, what if i pick one nobody likes, :p

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2oe7ij05 said:

So, back to the cattle. It's obvious Knersie likes Uh Oh the best. What cow does everyone like best?
thats for you too deside......just pick the ones that remotely sound logical, and answer it too the best of your ability. who knows you may hit a homerun

HerefordSire":czs3w15t said:
It sounds like selling show animals is an opportunity to give back to the community provided there is enough margin to work with.[/i]

The calves we are sellling are beef feeder steers destined for butcher. The heifers we donate/loan to the kids but they are still ours and we get them back after they're done showing them.

KNERSIE":2493c5ut said:
Herefordsire,

The quality of hair coat that I often mention and "good hair" for a club calf are two very different things for very different reasons.

A good haircoat is heritable, but nutrition also plays a big role in how the coat looks, it doesn't change the inherited quality or lack thereof though. The coat of a bovine is the window through which you can look to see the health status of the animal and how its nutritional needs has been met.

To completely hijack Jeanne's thread...
I know you like dark coated animals, but as a general observation (by me and a few, more much more experienced than me, long term hereford breeders here in SA), poor hair coat quality is found more often in darker coated animals than lighter red animals. Not saying there isn't exceptions to the rule or that all lighter red animals has good coats, just merely our observation after years of selecting for coat quality. Just as a final comment on hereford coat colour, ebony isn't any more breed characteristic than yellow, cherry red to yellowish red is what the original breed standards specify.

Thanks for your insight Knersie. I like your word arrangement pertaining to the window of health. That is more or less what I was thinking about hair quality. I asked the hair questions because Jeanne - Simme Valley mentioned hair hiding flaws. It would have never entered my mind to use hair to hide flaws or that hair could be used to hide flaws. On the pigment magnitude of the hair, I do recall you mentioning that in the past.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":fcqe8jn1 said:

Of the three blacks, I actually like the whiteface the best. For me, she has more balance than the Uh Oh heifer, and I'd put her over the other cow because she has more bone. But thats just me

Keren - thanks for your comments. It's pretty hard to compare a yearling to a proven cow. That white-face is pretty awesome. I have her & her calf shown under my "calves" thread. But, Uh Oh is going to be something to contend with in any competition of her peers. For all her thickness, she still has the femininity that I love.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3li8iz22 said:
Bumped this up for mnmtranching. So he can see the dams of those "fuzzy county fair" calves.

Why would you think I care? I'm in the real world of cattle ranching. :cowboy: My cows and calves got poo on them. Yup it's true. :oops: :oops:

mnmtranching":3u3ceti2 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3u3ceti2 said:
Bumped this up for mnmtranching. So he can see the dams of those "fuzzy county fair" calves.

Why would you think I care? I'm in the real world of cattle ranching. :cowboy: My cows and calves got poo on them. Yup it's true. :oops: :oops:

:drink: :secret: :drink: real world of cattle ranching :drink: :secret: :drink:

KNERSIE":ibjueiv3 said:
SS_Uh_Oh_pix.jpg

Now that is approaching perfection! :clap:
Here is the photoshop twin bull to Simme Valley Uh Oh. I call him " Approaching Perfection".
th_SS_Uh_Oh_pix-1-1.jpg
If someone could make his picture bigger you can see him better.

You caught that huh? I like your attention to detail, but just imagine how weird I looked sitting in the library at the college drawing a penis on this heifer..... :compute: I was just trying to get it done fast before anyone saw me and thought I was a perv. :banana:

JR Cattle Co.":2kqorwx9 said:
You caught that huh? I like your attention to detail, but just imagine how weird I looked sitting in the library at the college drawing a penis on this heifer..... :compute: I was just trying to get it done fast before anyone saw me and thought I was a perv. :banana:
yes i can only imagine, the suffering you would go through if that got spread around campus :lol2:

Latest posts