Would You Go To A Sale......

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross":qvhfm4qa said:
BRG":qvhfm4qa said:
Chuckie":qvhfm4qa said:
Alan,
You hit the nail on the head!!! Wood shavings!!
I have been to large breeder sales, and no one has ever put their sale video's in straw.
If I click on a video sale catalog with the bulls in straw, I don't look past the first bull. If you do have a normal animal, they still cannot travel normal in deep straw.

This is like a mail-order bride catalog where they show the girls wrapped up in blankets up to their chin.

Our video pen is 60 X 48. Pretty big pen. A 1250 lbs straw bale doesn't even cover the entire pen. I don't have any interest in buying and putting out the 50 bags of wood chips it would take to cover it. So instead of speculating that something is wrong or getting "covered up" then go and check them out. If they are hiding something, then you will know if you go and actually see them in person.

Come on Brian you know you must be hiding something. All those great RA bulls you sell every year have terrible legs and feet and you're hiding it with straw.
Don'tcha know that all those repeat customers that just keep coming back every year don't know what they're doing.

What a ridiculous thread. :bang:

From my point of view, in my area wood shavings/dust/chips are pretty cheap. Although after calculating Brian's video ring for dust one inch deep (not deep enough) the cost of shaving would be over $500, with no further use for the chips. On the other end of the sale, I think this thread shows how many new buyers to a new sale are cautious of knee deep straw ..... It may be another negative factor in trying to determine if someone should go to a sale for the first time. Just seems to be a trust issue with some of the new buyers and sales ......

sim.-ang.king":1xrd8nao said:
BRG":1xrd8nao said:
Chuckie":1xrd8nao said:
Alan,
You hit the nail on the head!!! Wood shavings!!
I have been to large breeder sales, and no one has ever put their sale video's in straw.
If I click on a video sale catalog with the bulls in straw, I don't look past the first bull. If you do have a normal animal, they still cannot travel normal in deep straw.

This is like a mail-order bride catalog where they show the girls wrapped up in blankets up to their chin.

Our video pen is 60 X 48. Pretty big pen. A 1250 lbs straw bale doesn't even cover the entire pen. I don't have any interest in buying and putting out the 50 bags of wood chips it would take to cover it. So instead of speculating that something is wrong or getting "covered up" then go and check them out. If they are hiding something, then you will know if you go and actually see them in person.
Would take more then 50 bags, more like 400 bags. There goes $2000 down the drain!

I posted a reply while you posted yours, in my area I buy 3.5 cubic yards of cedar dust for $250. 7.5 cu. yards is a unit so just over $500. One unit covers 2400 sq feet one inch deep . Straw is still much cheaper ...... But do we trust all sellers? That was certainly not directed at any seller on CT!

This is ridiculous, how many sale do you go to and you say look how neat and clean the place is? Yes it adds to the video's being better and just sometimes better sells good...

I wouldn't judge animals based on videos.
I guess you go to all the big sales, it something that's out there to be used like a tool. Now you can see what and how that animal looks and moves, it gives you some insight. I have purchased animals just off of video due to the great distance of were I am and the sale is..... :bday:

double v":3b92p5qy said:
I wouldn't judge animals based on videos.
I guess you go to all the big sales, it something that's out there to be used like a tool. Now you can see what and how that animal looks and moves, it gives you some insight. I have purchased animals just off of video due to the great distance of were I am and the sale is..... :bday:

Videos can easily get distorted and not always intentionally.

Pride!! Like painting up everthing in anticeapation of visitors. Kneedeep straw is over kill but if you delt with OLD timers like me , we grew up with beding everthing all we could, like thinking that we were good caretakers of our livestock. This all said I'm sure that you are close to right in some instances. One of the worst footed bulls we ever purchased was on a little bit of chips and at a sales ring[where they flat out use minimum beding]. One year and he was a goner, and it was somewhat of a genetic problem along with a definite over abundance of hot feed.I think something like a definite overabundance of straw or some other obvious thing is where confidence in the producer comes into play, integrity should and is really a very important part in any situation. Look around a bit at implement dealers-- car dealers and other business's and note that they always display their products at the best of their ability's

Superior sales, rarely have video catalogs with straw. They are shown walking on the ground, sunlight or overcast.
BRG, you offered the information about your video, and you were not singled out. I have never seen it, but I am like Phil, I still don't look at cattle in tall grass or straw. There are plenty of areas where there is flat ground to film the animals.
Just as Knersie said, there are not does or dont's.
Here is a video of a bull walking on the ground, very overcast, and he shows up real well. This is a great video that shows his legs and how he travels.
Straw would not have accented anything about this bull, or made him show up any better.
http://www.superiorlivestock.com/onlineVideoCatalog/?contractId=1064&lot=43#lot

What's your position on Artificial light. Do you feel like it presents an unatural appearance to the animal and deceives the potential purchaser?

Chuckie":12f5de9h said:
Superior sales, rarely have video catalogs with straw. They are shown walking on the ground, sunlight or overcast.
BRG, you offered the information about your video, and you were not singled out. I have never seen it, but I am like Phil, I still don't look at cattle in tall grass or straw. There are plenty of areas where there is flat ground to film the animals.
Just as Knersie said, there are not does or dont's.
Here is a video of a bull walking on the ground, very overcast, and he shows up real well. This is a great video that shows his legs and how he travels.
Straw would not have accented anything about this bull, or made him show up any better.
http://www.superiorlivestock.com/onlineVideoCatalog/?contractId=1064&lot=43#lot

You haven't been to the Dakota's in January before I can tell that. This bull in the video is kicking up dirt as he walks. Up here, the ground is froze, slippery, an usually full of frozen cow turds. Each place is different, and not every place has a good filming area. We do ours as good as we can. No you didn't single me out, but it bothered me with what you were insinuating about all breeders who use straw. Yes, Superior did tell us to put straw or something down to bring the light out. We go with straw because it is $20/bale instead of $500 for chips. Not much wood in this country up here.

I personally think that all videos should be shot in 6 in of mudd so that we can see how they walk under adverse conditions.

BRG, you have some really pretty cattle, and I am sure you will do well at your sale. But I have a bit more peeve about the legs of cattle.
I have trouble finding bulls with legs like I want. I did not find a bull at the major sales that I normally go to this year because of their legs. I want the legs to be good, and the body to go with the legs. Some had good legs, but they had problems elsewhere. The video catalogs are very important to me. Then if there are some problems with the EPD's, I will decide if he is the bull for me.

So, with this, I want to see the entire animal. Going hundreds of miles away from home is time consuming and expensive when you don't really have good help to watch after things like you want. I need to know that there are going to be a certain number of bulls there that I like well enough to bid on. If I take a chance after driving so far, I am most likely to come home with nothing. I am not planning on that happening.

I respect and appreciate that. But I didn't like the way it sounded, as if we are all trying to hide something. Not everyplace is the same. Yes their are alot of foot issues out there, but that is where integrity of the breeder comes in. In a perfect world, their would be a photo or video of the bulls feet as well, but not possible. At our ranch, it takes 25 acres to run 1 cow, so no time to have unsound animals. But remember, your environment is different than ours, and things like straw on frozen slippery ground on a cloudy hazy day is needed for added light and to prevent slipping.

3waycross":2lz7y9tq said:
I personally think that all videos should be shot in 6 in of mudd so that we can see how they walk under adverse conditions.
Adverse? That would normal conditions for here. :lol2:

BRG, take a chill pill. At sales, there are people that hope the buyers do not pick up on the bad traits.
If you are not doing this, then let the smoke die.
You cannot take everything personal that is not directed at you.

don't know why your picking at BRG he's right... By the way this was one of the dumber threads on here in a long time. Chuckie if you haven't had a sale you don't know the whats on what it takes to put on a first rate sale. SO who cares.... :bday:

Latest posts