Would You Go To A Sale......

Help Support CattleToday:

I might if I was real bored and wanted to see what they were trying to hide

Only if I was interested in buying... then I'd have to check them out for myself.

They couldn't ALL have bad feet or legs!

I don't understand the big deal. We do that, only because when we started videoing the sale cattle, the video company told us to straw the video pen down, as it brings the light out better, especially on a cloudy day.

Some people think everyone is trying to hide something, maybe it is the opposite, they/we do it to make the video better.

BRG":3uos82y6 said:
I don't understand the big deal. We do that, only because when we started videoing the sale cattle, the video company told us to straw the video pen down, as it brings the light out better, especially on a cloudy day.

Some people think everyone is trying to hide something, maybe it is the opposite, they/we do it to make the video better.

I agree, no-one that has never held a production sale should be very outspoken on the dos and don'ts, it really is a damn-ed if you do damn-ed if you don't situation.

Its pretty simple you are interested in what they have or you are not. Takeing good pictures of cattle is a hard enough job in the best of conditions.

KNERSIE":3rjo3c85 said:
BRG":3rjo3c85 said:

I agree, no-one that has never held a production sale should be very outspoken on the dos and don'ts, it really is a damn-ed if you do damn-ed if you don't situation.

Just a simple question, I don't have an opinion one way or the other, I'm just curious. Wouldn't wood chips serve the same purpose with lighting issues as straw while still showing lower legs, feet, and stride?

Alan,
You hit the nail on the head!!! Wood shavings!!
I have been to large breeder sales, and no one has ever put their sale video's in straw.
If I click on a video sale catalog with the bulls in straw, I don't look past the first bull. If you do have a normal animal, they still cannot travel normal in deep straw.

This is like a mail-order bride catalog where they show the girls wrapped up in blankets up to their chin.

With the -20 air temps and -60 wind chills we have experienced for several days not long ago, I'm thinking having the bulls bedded in straw might be looked at as a good thing :idea: :?:

Chuckie":1u324aba said:
Alan,
I have been to large breeder sales, and no one has ever put their sale video's in straw.
If I click on a video sale catalog with the bulls in straw, I don't look past the first bull. If you do have a normal animal, they still cannot travel normal in deep straw.

This is like a mail-order bride catalog where they show the girls wrapped up in blankets up to their chin.

Our video pen is 60 X 48. Pretty big pen. A 1250 lbs straw bale doesn't even cover the entire pen. I don't have any interest in buying and putting out the 50 bags of wood chips it would take to cover it. So instead of speculating that something is wrong or getting "covered up" then go and check them out. If they are hiding something, then you will know if you go and actually see them in person.

sure go check them out and a lot of sales have really good food at worst you get a good lunch and who knows you might find something worth buying

BRG":129w7fsi said:
Chuckie":129w7fsi said:
Alan,

Our video pen is 60 X 48. Pretty big pen. A 1250 lbs straw bale doesn't even cover the entire pen. I don't have any interest in buying and putting out the 50 bags of wood chips it would take to cover it. So instead of speculating that something is wrong or getting "covered up" then go and check them out. If they are hiding something, then you will know if you go and actually see them in person.

Come on Brian you know you must be hiding something. All those great RA bulls you sell every year have terrible legs and feet and you're hiding it with straw.
Don'tcha know that all those repeat customers that just keep coming back every year don't know what they're doing.

What a ridiculous thread. :bang:

BRG":l3y7zli9 said:
Chuckie":l3y7zli9 said:
Alan,

Would take more then 50 bags, more like 400 bags. There goes $2000 down the drain!

LazyARanch":3cjxgbv4 said:
Only if I was interested in buying... then I'd have to check them out for myself.

They couldn't ALL have bad feet or legs!

I was not insinuating that the use of straw in videos was hiding anything, I should have explained my comment better.

I really hadn't thought anything of it, Seeing them in straw beats the heck out of watching them kick frozen turds out of the way! :nod:

I will say that I like a good video where I can see the animal move around for a WHILE.... not those 4 second clips that get repeated 8 times and they call that a video!!

Latest posts