Will people come to Arkansas to buy hay at $80 a bale?

Help Support CattleToday:

redangus

Reaction score
Hay will be 14 % protein...mid 50's tdn

Are people really paying this for hay? Is it that bad in Texas?

I would sell everything I had before I paid that kind of money.

redangus":3hxfbglc said:

I doubt, considering the cost of hauling, but what they will do is give you a better price then in normal years, then go to Texas and sell it for $80 to $100, and long as they can cover their costs and make a profit. (already being done anyway) ;-)

Ran into a guy at the Dr.'s office from Schulenburg TX who said hay was going for $85 a roll in that area. Didn't ask whether he was talking horse quality bermuda or regular cattle hay.

Better to sell down til you can feed what's left with what you've got than buy hay at those prices. Cow's will eat thier own value in hay pretty quick at that high of a price! JMHO OL JR :)

cowtrek":1o3junm1 said:
Better to sell down til you can feed what's left with what you've got than buy hay at those prices. Cow's will eat thier own value in hay pretty quick at that high of a price! JMHO OL JR :)

You ain't kidd'in

If you put pen to paper the only way this would be even close to possible would be if you were on a backhaul from the area. Simply meaning, you are hauling something to the area where the hay is and then bringing the hay back. I just can't see how otherwise - of course, if you do something like that then you're probably going to get into paying for driver lodging, several meals, etc.

Bullbuyer":3vnrnodd said:
If you put pen to paper the only way this would be even close to possible would be if you were on a backhaul from the area. Simply meaning, you are hauling something to the area where the hay is and then bringing the hay back. I just can't see how otherwise - of course, if you do something like that then you're probably going to get into paying for driver lodging, several meals, etc.

Amen! ;-)

Don't know about further south, but around Dallas we have had some good rains and temps this Fall and the cool season grasses have greened up nicely. I have at least 3 times as much forage now as I had in July. Also, I have seen alot more wheat and oat crops planted this year.

redangus":1i99gv3b said:

Red, I sent you PM several days ago...

Proverbs 12:10":1qmobl6h said:
redangus":1qmobl6h said:

Red, I sent you PM several days ago...

I sent you one back. I don't know what fmv is in Texas. I won't sell it around here. It's too good of quality to sell for $25 a bale.

cowtrek":1kyhpq67 said:
Didn't ask whether he was talking horse quality bermuda or regular cattle hay.

Everything I grow is "horse quality" coastal. I have $35 a bale in it just in irrigation.

"05 was so bad here locally that cactus actually dried up and died. When the brush fires broke out, cedar trees actually flashed just like a can of gasoline would. I went down to 10 head. Luckily the '05 drought was local and prices were really good. This year has been bad but not nearly as bad as '05.

This year I made an awful lot of hay. With only 10 head at the start of fall, I sold a lot of hay and pocketed a lot of nickels.

The imported hay is not worth the money. Hore people are offering me $120 a bale for my hay versus the stuff coming in from the east for $80. My winter grasses have had some rain this year, unlike last fall, and I have forage. As such, I will have a bit of surplus hay and I have turned some more lose to close friends at $80, even tho the horse folks are offering more.

I have 130 acres of pure coastal on the Brazos flood plain that I will not graze next year. It will be in hay production only. I have standing orders for hay.

There are many folks who sold out completely in '05. '06 was bad but not nearly as bad as '05. In '05 we got a bit of rain in early May, about 2 inches in early September, and then nothing until late January. Each time a cow took a step dust blew. We were haying cows in late June. If you didn't have irrigation, you didn't have anything to feed for nearly a whole year.

People were on this board, (and others) talking about how farmers burned off catus needles and fed cows cactus in the 50's. I laughed each and every time I read that. Prickly pear ears looked like pieces of carboard. The old timers said it was the worst they had ever seen and they survived the 50's. All records that have ever been kept for this area were broken. Fort Worth and areas east of here got rain we didn't get and they were still crying. It rained up to 12 inches north of here and the Brazos was flooded.

If people had not sold out in '05 completely or cut down like I did, cattle prices would have even been worse for '06. The drought in '06 was only moderate but it was widespread.

I have been seeing alot of hay heading out of state here in North West Arkansas in the last couple of weeks. I dont know where they are finding it any more there has been so much of it sold out of this area.

I seen a 1 ton dually pulling a trailor with 9 4x5 bales of mixed grass hay. He had Oklahoma tags and was about 50 miles from the Oklahoma state line. I was wondering to myself how much he might have payed for thoes 9 bales and how many head he was going to feed them to. ( if he was going to feed them to cattle) And how far he had to go with the hay. I would not think 9 bales would feed many head for very long. A friend of mine is feeding 10 bales a day and i am not sure how many head he has but i am thinking about a 100 head.

I sure hope everyone has more hay than they need come this summer and dont have to go through this again for a few years.

Latest posts