Why should Hereford Folks have all the fun?

Help Support CattleToday:

What breed should we pick on/pick apart next?

• Shorthorn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Longhorn

• Limosin

• Bramers

• Angus--black

• Angus--red

• Beefalo :)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, did a test several years back. Took steers from different breeds including holstein where everything--age, feed, etc.--was the same and then did a taste test. No one could pick the angus or the holstein or the hereford or whatever. I've butchered hereford, angus, holstein, and sim crossbred cattle that I can remember in the last 40 years, and some were better than others, but I think the feed and age had the most influence on how good they were on the grill. The absolute best we ever ate was a wild black angus heifer about 15 months old that had not eaten anything except green grass. I remember her because we couldn't get her in the barn, so she took lead from a 30-06. You could cut her steak with a fork. Real tasty.

I have to admit, when I voted I NEVER thought Angus would win! :)

My biggest complaint is they all look the same in pasture! How in the world can you name them all?

And although I"m sure all you Angus breeders will have a rebuttal for this.. we ran an Angus bull on our heifers in 1999 and took a group to Ranch To Rail.. the results were not flattering to the Angus! The Simmental sired calves did much better.

EL Putzo, I had a char that was cross with a char, more an less, a purebred char steer. Hated the taste and was tough. Now I like AngusXHereford steers, Angus steers, or Hereford steers. Thats about all. We usually slaughter a Hereford steer that may have been born with horns or was scurred. :cboy:

I thought y'all already ran off all the beefalo people...

Hill Creek Farm":17685lcj said:
Hi! Welcome to Hill Creek Farms avatar. Hill Creek Farm is producing high preforming Registered Poled Hereford cattle.

In case you care, Polled is the correct spelling

dun

dun":hwav0jcx said:
Hill Creek Farm":hwav0jcx said:
Hi! Welcome to Hill Creek Farms avatar. Hill Creek Farm is producing high preforming Registered Poled Hereford cattle.

In case you care, Polled is the correct spelling

dun

i guess he doesn't care because Texan pointed it out earlier & he didn't bother to fix it. it's also "performing" unless he has his cattle doing some weird "preforming"

Hill Creek Farm":vgdq53m4 said:
I never really liked the Beefalo breed, myself. I have always been a Hereford man and I also like the Red Angus. This is only opinion. :cboy:

To each his own ..

Jake":2ajqsh6u said:
UG":2ajqsh6u said:
I'll stir the pot a little about black Angus.

First of all, over the past 20 years the American Angus Assn. has done a wonderful job of increasing demand for their product. I believe that much of their success comes from the success of Certified Angus Beef, and the resulting demand for black hided feeders by the feedlots. This resulted in commercial producers demanding black bulls; primarily black Angus bulls so that they could produce the much demanded black hided feeders.

However, I have a real problem with the American Angus Association continuing to promote the production of straightbred Angus to commercial producers. There have been dozens and dozens of research trials done which show a huge economic benefit to crossbreeding (not crossing any ole cow and bull, but breeding good representatives of complimentary breeds). It seems like most, if not all, of the other major breed associations have recognized the fact that they are doing a major disservice to their customers by promoting straight breeding of their particular breed. In most cases these associations are promoting the use of their breed in sound crossbreeding programs.

What is everyone else's thoughts on the Angus association's stand on straight breeding in commercial herds. :roll:

They are promoting what they believe is best for their partners and producers. Why promote buying another breed instead of your own? We have a fairly well straightbred angus herd and those animals out produce the neihbors' crosses every day of the week. We have fewer calving problems that anybody else around these parts and have better calves in the end running angus bulls on HIGH percentage angus cows. When in the lot our STRAIGHTBRED angus calves out perform anything that we buy. Haven't seen any come through yet that I'd rather have there than our own.... so I have no problem with the AAA promoting angus on angus because it works for us and several others that I know of.....

I have no doubt that straight Angus work fine but are you maximizing your income? Research continues to prove that producers are leaving over $100/cow/year on the table by running straightbred cows vs. good crossbred cows with complimentary traits (increased weights of calves at weaning and as yearling, greater cow longevity, increased cow efficiency, and overall greater lifetime productivity per cow).

You mention that your cows out produce your neighbors. We all have have feelings on how our cattle match up to our neighbors, but how do we really know for sure. After all, the cows graze different pastures with different nutrition; some calves are creep fed and others aren't; some stay out all winter with minimal protection from the wind, rain, snow, etc. while our neighbors have access to a barn; some are under a stringent vaccination program and others are not, and on and on and on...

In addition, straightbred Angus are less efficient at converting feedstuffs into edible meat, in general have lower carcass weights, and generally hang fatter carcasses with lower yield grades. The American Angus Assn. is the best breed association at promoting their product and consequently promote that Angus fat calves will give the feeder greater premiums for higher quality grading cattle. What they fail to tell is that their cattle are less feed efficient and that oftentimes the premiums they gain for higher marbling cattle is offset by lower carcass weight and discounts for poor yield grades.

Now, I need to point out that though I think the AAA does a dis-service to the industry by promoting straightbreeding (many other breeds are promoting crossbreeding), I think that Angus cattle offer the industry many positives. However, I just think they are best utilized in a good crossbreeding program.
A friend of mine who feeds out quite a few cattle just sent a couple pot loads of fats to the packing plant. He mentioned that he had just received the settlement sheets and that all but one steer were Choice or Prime; however he was penalized hard for poor yield grades. He said the penalities he received were greater than the premiums he received for the wonderful quality grades. He won't be buying calves from that commercial producer again.

I can't say whether we've maximized our profits but our cattle are better now than they ever were when we were crossbreeding everything. The calves are growing the same due to superior genetics, our calves outgain ANY crossbred calves that we've had. The females are far superior to that of any in the past and are easier keeping than back when...

UG why penalize the producer for the feeders inability to market the cattle in a timely manner before they became overly fat.? That is a management problem on the feeders part not the genetics of the cattle. How much high bred vigor is available on the cutting edge of high producing cattle?

when steers start dying from heat waves in the summer what color do you think they are duh! black. i have never seen a straight black angus grow as good as any good crossbred calves. and i get more live calves than i ever did with straight angus. if you check any university studies you will find that anything crossed with some brahma in it will make a feedlot money when straight angus are losing them money. i have never seen black angus that were not standing in a mud hole or pond an hot summer days

jerry27150":1m148zy6 said:
when steers start dying from heat waves in the summer what color do you think they are duh! black. i have never seen a straight black angus grow as good as any good crossbred calves. and i get more live calves than i ever did with straight angus. if you check any university studies you will find that anything crossed with some brahma in it will make a feedlot money when straight angus are losing them money. i have never seen black angus that were not standing in a mud hole or pond an hot summer days

come on over and look at ours.... they'll out produce the crossbred calves that come through any day.... they may be standing in a mudhole, but isn't that the same as layin under a tree? nothing can eat 24/7

jerry27150":to9a004w said:

We get our share of hot days here in southern OK and my Angus cows do very well. Yes, some of them stand in the pond. I had one old cow that went into the pond every morning whether it was 60 degrees or 90 degrees. After her calf was taken care of, she went for her "bath." As I drive down the road, I also see red, yellow, tigerstriped cattle standing in ponds and laying in the shade. Do you seriously think Angus bulls would be outselling several other breeds combined if black calves died from the heat? Do you seriously think Simmental, Limi, Maines, etc., would be producing black bulls if black calves died from the heat? Get real. My registered calves wean as well as the local crossbred calves, better than many. I've never seen a university study telling us that "anything crossed with brahma" will make the feedlot money. Do you have a link to such a study, or are you just running your mouth? I have talked to buyers who tell me their customers don't want high percentage brahman calves. I have seen MARC data that tells me the higher percentage brahman in the beef, the more likely it will be tough. We performance test our bulls at a major test station. Angus bulls's gains are either better, or very competitive with other breeds. There are bull test stations all across the US that will show you there are very feed efficient Angus cattle available. Feedlot operators know that and they will pay for those genetics. The high gaining Angus bull (unfortunantly not mine) on the last test we participated in averaged 6.95 lbs per day on a 112 day test and had an adjusted yearling weight of 1560 lbs. (He is a VRD son for those interested in such info.)

Wow.. Good gaining lad. Post a link to his sale picture or pedigree .

ollie":7u0zkixm said:
Wow.. Good gaining lad. Post a link to his sale picture or pedigree .

Yes, I'd guess that's a record for the test station. When we started testing our bulls, you could top a test with a 4+ gaining bull. I well remember the first 6 lb. gainer, and now we're moving on past that. I don't have a photo or pedigree, Ollie. As I said, he's sired by VRD, but there's no other pedigree info on the sale report. If his owner consigns him to the sale in March, I'll let you know. His pedigree and total performance info will be in the catalog and it's usually available online. They don't do photos, though.

jerry27150":1fl98gf7 said:
ask those big feedlots with no shade about the big heat wave a few years back & see how many blacks died

And which big feedlots are these? I would be happy to call if you'll give me their name. Are you saying no red cattle died? I've talked to buyers who tell me feedlots don't want brahman cattle, especially in the winter, because they can't tolerate the cold. I've never heard any buyer say they don't want black cattle in the summer because of the heat. Again, do you have any info to back up your claim, or are you just running your mouth?

And I'm still waiting for a university study that shows "anything crossed with some brahma in it will make a feedlot money..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts