Why should Hereford Folks have all the fun?

Help Support CattleToday:

What breed should we pick on/pick apart next?

• Shorthorn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Longhorn

• Limosin

• Bramers

• Angus--black

• Angus--red

• Beefalo :)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What have you got against Simmenthals, you didn't include them?

dun

Well, shoot--I knew I left somebody out! And them Gelbvieh folks are gonna get riled up, too! Maybe we could start with them and work our way through to the others??

I'll stir the pot a little about black Angus.

First of all, over the past 20 years the American Angus Assn. has done a wonderful job of increasing demand for their product. I believe that much of their success comes from the success of Certified Angus Beef, and the resulting demand for black hided feeders by the feedlots. This resulted in commercial producers demanding black bulls; primarily black Angus bulls so that they could produce the much demanded black hided feeders.

However, I have a real problem with the American Angus Association continuing to promote the production of straightbred Angus to commercial producers. There have been dozens and dozens of research trials done which show a huge economic benefit to crossbreeding (not crossing any ole cow and bull, but breeding good representatives of complimentary breeds). It seems like most, if not all, of the other major breed associations have recognized the fact that they are doing a major disservice to their customers by promoting straight breeding of their particular breed. In most cases these associations are promoting the use of their breed in sound crossbreeding programs.

What is everyone else's thoughts on the Angus association's stand on straight breeding in commercial herds. :roll:

It's hard to knock what the Black Angus folks have done. It's worked!
Steve

UG":7w0eqfs6 said:

First of all, over the past 20 years the American Angus Assn. has done a wonderful job of increasing demand for their product. I believe that much of their success comes from the success of Certified Angus Beef, and the resulting demand for black hided feeders by the feedlots. This resulted in commercial producers demanding black bulls; primarily black Angus bulls so that they could produce the much demanded black hided feeders.

However, I have a real problem with the American Angus Association continuing to promote the production of straightbred Angus to commercial producers. There have been dozens and dozens of research trials done which show a huge economic benefit to crossbreeding (not crossing any ole cow and bull, but breeding good representatives of complimentary breeds). It seems like most, if not all, of the other major breed associations have recognized the fact that they are doing a major disservice to their customers by promoting straight breeding of their particular breed. In most cases these associations are promoting the use of their breed in sound crossbreeding programs.

What is everyone else's thoughts on the Angus association's stand on straight breeding in commercial herds. :roll:

They are promoting what they believe is best for their partners and producers. Why promote buying another breed instead of your own? We have a fairly well straightbred angus herd and those animals out produce the neihbors' crosses every day of the week. We have fewer calving problems that anybody else around these parts and have better calves in the end running angus bulls on HIGH percentage angus cows. When in the lot our STRAIGHTBRED angus calves out perform anything that we buy. Haven't seen any come through yet that I'd rather have there than our own.... so I have no problem with the AAA promoting angus on angus because it works for us and several others that I know of.....

Aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnd--We're OFF! Angus--black is in the lead!!! :D Just a side note, UG--As a Red Angus breeder I would be just as proud to have you use a Red Angus bull on your commercial herd as your registered! Demand is our bred and butter and it takes Angus mommas to produce Angus bulls. All i say is--do what you like and if you want calving ease, early maturing, and fine meat that Angus red or black could probably get er done!

So what is crossed with the buffalo to beef it up? I would hope it would be something with a lot of fat or marbling!!!!!!!! Anyone have a beefalo? Can we see a picture???

Definately not what I expected! Kind of sounded like "Eat beefalo! Low Fat! Low cholesterol! Low taste!" (What would a holstein taste like?)

Hmmmm. the Angus folks have done a wonderful job in Public RElations on promoting CAB. Funny thing is, only about half of the beef in CAB is Angus. The other breeds really seem to be sucking hind tit. Of course I dont know if some of you folks read the BEEF magazine a few months back, but had a interesting little tid bit. The folks at Texas Tech took steers that were straight english, english cross, Exotics, American breeds, Exotic crosses... you know all the different types of cattle. Fed em out killed em ,AGED emmmm ,something the packers dont do, then cut em up. Then they did taste tests and shear force tests... Guess what their was almost no difference in the steaks in taste or shear force. Makes you sort of wonder why their is such a push for the marbling gene these days

UG":2d88jpvc said:

What Jake said.

A consistent consumer complaint about beef is inconsistency. They buy a package of chicken legs, they'll all be about the same size, weight, and tenderness. (We won't discuss taste here.) They sort through the T-bone steaks, they'll find a considerable difference in size, marbling, and possibly tenderness.

Here's a quote from an article that appeared earlier on the CattleToday front page:

"So what does that mean to you, the cattle producer? Allen says retailers are increasingly buying beef according to specific characteristics that fit their particular operations. He believes the days of unbranded, commodity beef products stocked in supermarket meat cases is coming to an end much faster than many beef producers realize."

Title of the article is "CHANGES AT RETAIL LEVEL HAVE IMPLICATIONS FOR PRODUCERS" and you can read the entire thing at http://cattletoday.com/archive/2005/Feb ... T379.shtml

We've had wonderful prices for several years now, but that doesn't mean changes aren't coming. IMO, producers who know the genetics in their cow herds will do well as these changes take place.

Hill Creek Farm":gre588ka said:
I would like to talk down the Charolias breed. They are the most toughest piece of beef I have ever eaten. I hate char beef. It stinks! :cboy:

I'm going to have to disagree.

We just butchered a CharXangus steer and I must say it is quite tasty and very tender. Might have had something to do with the feed though. :lol:

That being said, I'd like to run down black angus. I don't really have a problem with them, heck we have a whole herd of black angus and black angus cross cows. They're just no fun to look at! :lol: :lol:

If CAB is such a big deal why don't they genetic test instead of promoting the black hided lim. cattle. Looks like they are lying to the customer. Them black baldies can come from a breed other than angus :roll: :p :shock:

Not an angus breeder, but there really isn't much to put down. High quality beef, excellent marketing. Any other breed association that says their breed tastes better or is more tender is full of the same caca others are complaining about.

This is my opinion on the whole "certified beef" thing.

I will challenge anyone on this board that if we took steers of any breed of equal age, and fed them the same feed for the same amount of time then used the same butchering process, then took the same cut of steak off of each one and cooked it for you, 90% could not tell for sure which steak was which breed. The only reason that % wouldn't be higher is that some would GUESS and get it right. :roll:

I say good beef is good beef. Isn't that what we're all striving for in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts