White markings on black cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
You see quite a few other wise solid colored blacks with a little white on the belly or the udder. Is this usually a sign of a little hereford blood?

You also see some otherwise solid blacks with white stocking - - usually on the rear legs. Any thoughts on where this color pattern comes from?

The white on the belly as long as it isn;t forward of the naval and white udders has been common in Angus for 40 plus years that I'm aware of. The white stockings I've only seen in calves from crossbred bulls bred to Holsteins.

Seen quite a few white stocking on simmi cross calves around here.

Bought an angus bull this year with "extra" white on his navel, would have brought a lot more if it wasn't there. So far I haven't heard any complaints out of his girlfriends.

cfpinz

Any hereford markings would show in the face and belly.
I agree with dun... its more likely an angus which occasionally has some white markings on the underside.

I saw a slide in a presentation by Dr Ritchie (Michigan State) of a circa ~1900 show winning Angus sire with a big white spot on his chest (before that was cause for disqualification). Those funny white spots have been around the Angus breed forever; thus the rule about it being forward of the navel versus behind the navel. IF the white spots weren't present 60, 70, 80, 90 years ago they would not have had to make a rule about where they are acceptable and where they are not. I would not read anything into it

Brandonm2":2a8i3msd said:
I saw a slide in a presentation by Dr Ritchie (Michigan State) of a circa ~1900 show winning Angus sire with a big white spot on his chest (before that was cause for disqualification). Those funny white spots have been around the Angus breed forever; thus the rule about it being forward of the navel versus behind the navel. IF the white spots weren't present 60, 70, 80, 90 years ago they would not have had to make a rule about where they are acceptable and where they are not. I would not read anything into it

Gee, and there are so many posters that think that it's new and from Holsteins. You don;t suppose they were originally crossed with Holsteins to keep the small frame on those early belt buckle animals do you?

dun":27q849s2 said:
Gee, and there are so many posters that think that it's new and from Holsteins. You don;t suppose they were originally crossed with Holsteins to keep the small frame on those early belt buckle animals do you?

The original population had both black and red animals in it. They probably had some spotted animals too. Probably a bunch with horns on them. The people doing the selecting change the cattle to suit their needs.

Black angus crossed with Maine Anjou (the traditionally marked ones) will produce black calves with white socks too.

Stocker Steve":znujlkgl said:
You see quite a few other wise solid colored blacks with a little white on the belly or the udder. Is this usually a sign of a little hereford blood?

You also see some otherwise solid blacks with white stocking - - usually on the rear legs. Any thoughts on where this color pattern comes from?

Angus cattle have had white in the udder area forever.

I agree that the Hereford influence would likely show up as a white face, not spots on the belly. That white face takes a long time to breed out.

I've seen quite a few show calves, Maine X Angus, with white feet and legs.

mgman":3srthxu7 said:
Black angus crossed with Maine Anjou (the traditionally marked ones) will produce black calves with white socks too.
I agree. MaineXs often have stockings.

Capt- I've yet to see a chiangus with stockings that didn't have a lot of maine blood

Frankie wrote:
I agree that the Hereford influence would likely show up as a white face, not spots on the belly. That white face takes a long time to breed out.

Actually the white face comes out in ~1/2 the progeny of the f2 (3/4 Angus 1/4 Hereford).

The black stockers with white on the belly or udder tend to be some of the nicer animals. I thought some Hereford or Simi blood might be the reason...

The black stockers with white stockings usually have lighter frames and longer legs, so I agree with the idea that there is probably some Holstein in the woodpile.

Do you see "black" replacements or cows discounted due to some white markings?

cfpinz":2p9fbg2x said:
Bought an angus bull this year with "extra" white on his navel, would have brought a lot more if it wasn't there. So far I haven't heard any complaints out of his girlfriends.

cfpinz

Once you go white,

Stocker Steve":2dshre3f said:
Do you see "black" replacements or cows discounted due to some white markings?

Yes. I've seen black whiteface cattle discounted to solid black cattle, both replacement females and stockers. On Superior auctions and at replacement female sales that we've attended, auctioneers have offered to separate out the whitefaced animals to get a higher bid.

the word blackmail came from ransom in the form of black cattle way back in the day. there is no word redmail, but that doens't mean they weren't the same other than that allele.

Speaking of white spots on Angus cattle, we had a calf born 3 days ago with a white spot the size of a silver dollar on the right side of her face half way between her eye and her nose. She is full Angus by registered dam and sire and they show no white at all.
Strange/ any one seen this before?
We plan to call her Dot. It is sort of a quite beauty mark that can be seen a ¼ mile away.

I hate to disagree with Frankie; but actually, the University of Arkansas did a study of stockyard prices for feeder calves and black white face calves brought MORE money than black calves; though they too were surpassed by yellow white face calves.

Latest posts