Which describes you?

Help Support CattleToday:

I got one of these the other day for cutting and pulling net wrap. So far I think it's just the ticket. The hook grabs the wrap very well so you don't have to take your gloves off and gives you a bunch more reach which is handy when the bale is in the air on the bale spear. The knife works slick too.
Dang, where has this been all my life?

I am almost OCD about getting all the wrap picked up and thrown away in the correct place.
My dad. . . Not so much 🙄 he tends to leave it next to the gate or in the tractor cab to accumulate.

We use net on everything now, and it all comes off. Even have some other locals that save me their net as we burn it in our outdoor woodstove and it puts off a buttload of heat.

We have some of our own fields cut for hay and buy the rest. Same crew takes care of both as I am not physically able anymore to be on a tractor for long periods of time. Our man uses twine, and I'm glad I don't have to deal with net wrap. We store most of our inside and take the twine off. I've seen it eaten in the past or get wrapped around their feet.
We live on a state road with quite a bit of road frontage so we get a lot trash in the hay too, which we try to pick out. One year we got some hay that had been cut down at the county fairgrounds. It was a mess with all the trash in it. We said never again to that.
A couple years ago when we were looking at land in Oklahoma, the realtor took us to one place that evidently had a sorry farm person, it was summer and whole messes of net wrap were dotted through the field, along with several cow skeletons and bones. My wife said she wondered if the dead cows had eaten the net wrap.

I take twine off every bale. My cattle are always finding ways to get in trouble. Removing the twine is one less avenue for them to do that- no ingestion, no tangled heads or feet, and no ripped out ear tags from it. It's not fun when the weather is bad or I'm in a hurry, but to me it's worth the time it takes from the cattle perspective as well as machinery later on.

I take twine off every bale. My cattle are always finding ways to get in trouble. Removing the twine is one less avenue for them to do that- no ingestion, no tangled heads or feet, and no ripped out ear tags from it. It's not fun when the weather is bad or I'm in a hurry, but to me it's worth the time it takes from the cattle perspective as well as machinery later on.
Remember seeing a neighbors heifer with a wad of them around her neck ..looked like she was going to Mardi Gras

One of my neighbors has 30-40 acres where they winter 250-300 cows. That is the only thing this ground is used for. That makes for 7 or 8 big square bales a day. Judging from the small mountain of twine at their stack yard they get most of it. I am sure an occasional one falls off the trailer while they are feeding. Being busy people they don't go chase every strand. Over time there is some twine sticking out of the ground. This drives my twine Nazi wife crazy. Every time she complains about it I tell her that I am sure they would allow her to go out there and pick up the twine. So far she has refused.

All net wrap is removed regardless of the weather. In fact I just got through removing frozen net wrap in drizzling rain. It was a pain and I thought I was gonna get frost bite without gloves but it's worth it in the long run.

I feed with the Hustler bale feeder, and have to take off the string or the whole bale will get tossed out. If there is any string that gets left on the ground I try to pick up. Several years ago we had a piece of twine get wrapped around the tongue of a cow; the other end was frozen to the ground. We ended up taking her to the vet, and they had cut off a couple inches of her tongue. Besides I don't want to pick up any twine with my hay equipment.

I feed with the Hustler bale feeder, and have to take off the string or the whole bale will get tossed out. If there is any string that gets left on the ground I try to pick up. Several years ago we had a piece of twine get wrapped around the tongue of a cow; the other end was frozen to the ground. We ended up taking her to the vet, and they had cut off a couple inches of her tongue. Besides I don't want to pick up any twine with my hay equipment.
When you say twine what twine are you referring to? Plastic?

In Oregon it rains so much the round bales are made out of green grass completely covered with plastic so it makes a sort of silage called haylege. The small square bails and 700lb square bales are held together with plastic baling twine. I see folks gathering it up and tying it on handy fence posts so cows won't swallow it.

This heifer I raised tries to vacuum up twine because cattle have those little one way hooks in their mouths. I sometime find twine tied to fences several feet of which have been chewed.

The previous owner did this with the twine. I remove all the twine and any hardware such as fence clips or bits of wire are also removed even if I have to find them with a magnet. I learned this from my rancher husband.

Last edited:
When dad worked for Warren Livestock he had a neighbor that need a bunch of calves roped. He didn't need a piggin string because there were baler twine all over the place. He would drop a calf and there would be a string. This would have been back in the 60's.

Latest posts