Where one should be?

Help Support CattleToday:

Scotty

Reaction score
AAA #15108274
2/26/2005

BW 94
205 WT 1038

Numbers to be proud of. I wish they were mine.

Scotty

Thanks but I don't hold a candle to La4. I thoughts I was doing good with my 680lb. I don't creep so I am still proud. The only hold up on some of their cattle is the $E values are mostly negetive.

Scotty

Caustic Burno":3tj1sz82 said:
Scotty you and La4 seem to be good Angus men those are impressive numbers thats better than 5 lbs a day. How many 50 lb sacks do you think it took.
You could take 99% of the cattle alive and feed them all the feed you could buy...You could put IV hoses in them and pump them bull in ensure and they still couldn't weigh 1000 lbs at 205 days old. That is impressive.

You could put a knife to his throat and hang him on a hook and he would still fit the box at less than 7 mos old. Some won't ever get there.

They had a couple like this. Also several that were near that weight. missing by only thirty or so pounds. Shcaff Angus Valley is the breeder.

Scotty

Scotty":4yj0mc5i said:
Thanks but I don't hold a candle to La4. I thoughts I was doing good with my 680lb. I don't creep so I am still proud. The only hold up on some of their cattle is the $E values are mostly negetive.

Scotty

Heck Scotty I was proud of my 635 lbs.

Impressive...how does the other production of the dam look, obviously not a first calf heifer. Can you post a picture of Golliath...DMc

Susie David":18bqqneb said:
Sorry Scottty...didn't read carefully, thought this was yours.
Need to pay more attention, would be nice to have a look at him though.
Unless Scotty has a sale catalog from them with his pic in it it would be hard to come by.

First Edition had a weaning wt of 868 and yrlg wt of 1534. I thought he would be hard to beat, but several have passed him up for both, WW and YW.

txag":3jk4ncgl said:
http://www.schaffangusvalley.com/salering.html

right-hand side of the page, near the bottom
The amazing thing is there is a couple other bulls pictured there that looks heavier. One is the bull standing right on the side of him and there is only 2 days difference in their age.

Schaff cattle are very growthy cattle. I used to buy my bulls there and they always have good bulls and a good sale also. About 7 or 8 years ago they had a yearling bull that was weighing something like 1650, just an incredible beef machine. Them boys in ND know how to raise bulls.

You guys know a 1000+ weaning weight is a bunch of bull. Even if the calf was creep fed it would be hard pressed to go 900. If you guys believe this then buy semen on this bull, put him on your best cows ,creep feed and see if you even get close. Post your results when weaned !

ccc":95b40pu5 said:
You guys know a 1000+ weaning weight is a bunch of bull. Even if the calf was creep fed it would be hard pressed to go 900. If you guys believe this then buy semen on this bull, put him on your best cows ,creep feed and see if you even get close. Post your results when weaned !
I agree 100% . We all are cattleman on here. Stop and think about it for a minute, It just dont happen like that besides , You can put anything on paper.

ccc, while 1000lb weaning weights are way above what the majority of commercial producers attain, they are by no means impossible. Last weekend I saw a June born blonde de aquitaine steer calf weigh in at 450kg (992lbs), of course it had been on creep feed almost from day one. An extremely impressive animal, it had thickness, length and was by no means fat.

You guys that don't believe calves can wean at 1000# need to get off the farm and see some of the best cattle in the industry. Shaffs have an excellent reputation. They are progressive with genetics, and obviously have a good herd health program as well as a good feed program. The calf weighed over a thousand . Bet on it. It just magnifies the difference between cows and good cows.

polledbull":3jbf29sk said:
ccc":3jbf29sk said:
I agree 100% . We all are cattleman on here. Stop and think about it for a minute, It just dont happen like that besides , You can put anything on paper.

I am not saying I necessarily like everything that goes with 1000 pound weaning weights; but I believe they are possible. I have had 750 pound calves with NO creep grazing fescue and sericea here in Alabama and one REALLY big Simmie cow who posted 900++ pound weights. I certainly have never owned the growthiest 1% of any breed; but a big 1600++ pound cow out of the growthiest line of Anguses out there bred to the growthiest bull anyone can find grazing heavily fertilized irrigated pastures and eating mixed ration daily with the help of a scientifically balanced and mixed creep feed probably CAN do it once in a while

ollie'":2kw86pcr said:
The calf weighed over a thousand . Bet on it. It just magnifies the difference between cows and good cows.
And at the best most have cows that are just cows.

Latest posts