Where one should be?

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm not saying it is impossible to wean over 1000 lbs , just not at 205 days. A breeder might have a couple of bulls wean 100 to 150 lbs more than the rest of their bulls, but when they start having a large majority of their bulls wean as heavy as Schaff's you start to wonder.

ccc":3iwuzefy said:
I'm not saying it is impossible to wean over 1000 lbs , just not at 205 days. A breeder might have a couple of bulls wean 100 to 150 lbs more than the rest of their bulls, but when they start having a large majority of their bulls wean as heavy as Schaff's you start to wonder.

A lot of those breeder lie on the birthday on them papers.

Like the old saying figures don't lie but liars figure.

ccc":29y1esto said:

I went to his link and amoung the 21 featured bulls I only saw THREE that broke the millenium mark. This is in a sale of 500 bulls. If they were telling me that they AVERAGED 1000 pounds I would call them liars. Even IF they told me they average 900 lbs I would call them liars and I would even doubt an 800 lb avg; but if all they are tellimg me is that a handful of calves out of a group of FIVE HUNDRED bulls!!! broke the millenium mark, then I CAN accept that. Some guy with 20 Angus cows using the same AI sires probably will not see a 1000 pound calf in his lifetime no matter how hard he tries. Give me a THOUSAND+++ cows to play with and then YES, everything probably will fall just right on a couple of freaky calves and we will wean off a handful of 1000 pound calves.

I have weaned them weighing 900 (at 205)in the south with a handfull of cows. If Shaff , in the North Dakota high plains or the Remitalls in Alberta can't wean them weighing a half ton with all the cattle they have they aren't very good breeders! There are lots of calves that wean at 1000. 800 is the new 500 lbs in the purebred industry. Not many really good purebred herdbulls in the AI catalog if creep fed will weigh under 800. Get a clue about the purebred cattle industry nation wide . Not every ranch is in South Texas . Not every purebred ranch is using the same bull they were 5 years ago. Not all people consider 600 pound calves lunkers....

They are not on a grass only operation, I will grant calfs in a northern enviroment will wean heavier. You might have weaned a 900 pounder which is 4.2 pounds a day in a grass only operation not likely.

Thank You Ollie took the words right out of my mouth it can and is being done right or wrong. Bought a bull off of SAV last year but he was a mere 906 @ 205. Bull seems to have adapted well to fescue but it took him a little while. They must get the best of everything at SAV. Also they are stacking their ped. for performance why wouldn't they be getting it?

No one said grass only. Don't try to change the topic to grass only. I don't know what Shaffs do . If it is grass only I still beleive it if they say it's true. Mine was fed. Point is not many will weigh even 900# if feed all the corn in Iowa. Genetics has alot to do with it.

Capt Call":120o7anl said:
They are not on a grass only operation, I will grant calfs in a northern enviroment will wean heavier. You might have weaned a 900 pounder which is 4.2 pounds a day in a grass only operation not likely.

I never said I was grass only. We did supplement cows as needed and that cow was pulled out and barned a few times because she got to showing too many ribs but we weren't creep feeding. This was ONE BIG Simmie cow in a herd of 60 x-bred cows and yes she did wean some calves that were 900 pounds plus. On the down side she was difficult to breed back. No other cow has ever weaned an 800 plus pound calf here before or since; but we have had some 750s.

Latest posts