Where is creekdrive?

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Thinking about him this morning and realized he hasn't been here in almost a year. Miss his pictures. Such a phenomenal herd he has.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Aaron said:
Thinking about him this morning and realized he hasn't been here in almost a year. Miss his pictures. Such a phenomenal herd he has.

Good question and I agree.

How's your eye healing up?

48 hours and it was back to relative normal, thanks to special drops from optometrist which really took the edge off and let me function somewhat. I am a little leery of spending too much time outside in these really bright days now. I came to really appreciate cloudy days.

Hey Aaron (& TT)! I'm still around, I rarely log in but still check the site out most days. Thank you for the compliments. I always intend to make an effort to share pictures & contribute but it never seems to happen. I guess I just prefer to lurk.

Just for you here's some recent pictures from the past few months:
IMG-2170sm.jpg

Cleaning up the last bit of corn grazing

IMG-2203sm.jpg

IMG-2262sm.jpg

Coming off the corn and walking to some more swath grazing

IMG-1932sm.jpg

One of my Speckle Parks

IMG-2441sm.jpg

more cows on swath grazing

IMG-2483sm.jpg

another cattle move.

it won't me let me share more than 6 pictures at a time...so will continue on the next post.

IMG-2743sm.jpg

January 29 - starting to feed cows grain to supplement the little bit of swath grazing they have left. This is 8 miles from home and they basically had no snow left

IMG-2930sm.jpg

January 30 - different group of cows on swath grazing at home. A lot more snow than 8 miles away and it was coming down pretty good too!

IMG-2784sm.jpg

IMG-2951sm.jpg

Moving cows home this past Thursday & Friday. Was not the funnest of moves, about -20C the first day and -25C with just enough of a wind to make it miserable the second day. Did about 4 miles each day. You could go farther but we have land that is basically half way and it's easy enough to spread some feed and let them rest overnight and carry on the next day. Plus I don't know if I could do that long on a quad in those temperatures. There is music on the video, mostly because 4 minutes listening to my quad run isn't very entertaining ;-) It's a little shaky...hard to hold the camera still with mitts on.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/9ughUu8TMt4[/youtube]
This is a group of roughly 180 cows, mostly purebred red & black Angus, plus a few commercial bred heifers & a speckle park that got to winter with this group.

I'll try and post a little more often! Thanks for the reminder

Oh & PS: Aaron I'm actually a SHE not a HE :lol:

Backbone Ranch said:
Great looking pictures and cattle creekdrive! I am glad to hear that you are doing well.

Thanks Backbone! Your Murray Grey's are some of my favorites on here. I love seeing your posts.

I had a hard time understanding how a man could take such phenomenal pictures. Now it all makes sense! :D Cows look spectacular as always.

How are you liking the Speckle Parks? I remember you got about 3 of them at the time. It's surprising how insanely popular they have become in the last decade. No one has them here, but I know of many that want to try them. Often thought I should buy a small herd of them to sell locally.

Be sure to check in more often than once a year!

Thanks all. I will try and post more often.

Aaron I'm quite pleased with my speckles. We have 5 total. I'm not sure that any of them are purebred but they look the part which is all I really wanted. I bought 3 with the intention of breeding them and gained 2 more that came with some lightweight feeder calves that we bought to feed over the winter. All 5 bred and did a decent job on their first calves. They were all bred to a black angus bull, 3 had speckled calves, 1 solid black & 1 brockle face. We will see how they do on their 2nd calves but so far I am satisfied. They were all good mothers, and really nice tidy udders on all but 1 of them. Seem to be efficient, moderate cows that other than their colour fit in nicely with our Angus cows.

IMG-9589sm.jpg

This one is one that came with the feeder calves. Her speckled heifer calf on the left of the picture weaned at 600 lbs at 227 days (no creep). I know some people have heifers do better than that but for our operation that is pretty good. It was the only heifer calf out of all 5 of them and being speckled I had to keep her.

IMG-9720sm.jpg

the other one that came with the feeders. Her colour pattern should throw 100% speckled calves bred to a solid colour bull. Her calf wasn't exceptional (probably 450 lbs) but I doubt she would've weighed 850 lbs so can't be too hard on her. Looking at her today with the rest of the herd she is still smaller than most if not all of the bred heifers and I'd be very surprised if she was over 1000lbs. She's a cute little thing but is very small framed. We will see how she does on her next calf.

This one calved a little later than the others, but her calf did well. She is probably my favorite one of the bunch.
IMG-8374sm.jpg

IMG-1509sm.jpg

I don't seem to have pictures handy of the other two girls with their calves.

Biggest complaint I hear about them from the buyers is that they lack frame, and there is some truth to that for sure. On the other hand there is definitely a demand for the speckle heifer calves, both private treaty and through the auction. As one guy said to us, every guys wife and or daughter needs to have a Speckle Park kicking around the farm :D I think it's partly a fad but I also think that they could be useful cows to have around.

bird dog said:
Geez that bull looks big. You better have some stout cows with his size.

He's big enough - not huge by any standard. I haven't weighed him but he would be over 2200 lbs I presume. I might be light on that guess I'm really not sure.
This will be his 5th breeding season coming up and we have used him on at least a few heifers every year, our heifers probably average 800-900 lbs at bull turnout. Cows probably average 1400 lbs, some bigger, some smaller. Never been a problem. He's very gentleman like. He probably will only get cows to breed this year, but I wouldn't be worried about throwing some heifers in the pasture with him. I've seen a lot smaller bulls than him be a lot rougher on cows.

True Grit Farms said:
That's a long stout looking bull.

Thanks True Grit. He's not without his faults, but we have been happy with him. One of the easiest calving bulls we've owned and has decent performance in his calves as well (of his reg'd calves male avg 205 day weight 652, females, 614). Have had over 100 calves from him and only ever pulled one (easy pull out of a heifer, it was cold & getting dark didn't want to wait for her any longer).
IMG-8348sm.jpg

a picture that shows more of him, taken the same day as the one above.

Creekdrive... I have always liked the pictures that you post. Please keep them coming! Awesome cattle and great looking country!!!