What's something you've done, 99% of us haven't?

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":2agxv6u8 said:
js1234":2agxv6u8 said:
kenny thomas":2agxv6u8 said:
That's a good one.
I guess I should ease some minds, it was back during W.
Never gave it any thought except how high of security clearance u must have had.
It was about what you'd expect. They had to have all our info a while in advance. Had to bring lots of ID and get there (flew out of Waco, where they landed often back then) ahead of time. Since we were there so early, after all the security was done, we were given a tour of the plane by some of the crew, including the new pilot, pretty amazing. The ball cap they gave me and the menu card, inflight movie card a picture of us on the plane etc., are all on a shelf in my office.

#1 Had my third child at home, tied the cord with 17 lb. fishing cord, never went to hospital
#2 Buried in a 10' deep trench, 2' wide, with 6' of dirt on top of me. Backhoe man dug me out. No injuries.
#3 Went around a curve, over a dike, and a coal train traveling 55 mph cut my truck into 3 pieces, spent 4 weeks in hospital
#4 Got to tell KU Med mental staff, that I just put my own socks on, knew I would be able to someday, so go to hill, shrinks.
#5 Hit by lightning, ran around house saying my hair was on fire. It wasn't.

Fought in a cage.

Stole a 20' cedar with my brothers off a state highway for my Uncle's last Christmas. Try dragging that sucker with a lead rope up a steep grade.

Been tapped out by a Royce Gracie black belt.

talltimber":1lw8yufg said:
Dave":1lw8yufg said:
I ran a trap line in Alaska one winter where I was 30-40 miles from the nearest human. I have fell some real big old growth trees. The biggest Douglas fir was 10 foot 8 inches in diameter inside the bark and probably had a foot of bark. The biggest cedar was 13 foot 5 inches in diameter. The biggest Sitka Spruce was over 8 foot. The tallest measured 264 feet to a 6 inch top. Rode a bunch of bareback broncs. Traveled at times with a couple of guys who were world champions. Tall timber you mentioned qualifying for the IFR. Was Dan Dailey still going then? He use to sleep on bedroom floor. Him and I shared more than a few bottles of whiskey.

He was wrapping up when I first started going to several IPRA's in the mid 90's. He was The Man in saddle bronc. But if a guy's partner in team roping was a no-show, then he would be one of the first one's a guy would need to try to get to fill in for him. He was a cowboy. Doggin, roped calves, team roper, Dan could do it all. Nice guy too, I thought, although I only spoke to him a couple of times.
Tall Timber do you know a dogger named Bubba Rhea he qualified for IFR a few times in the 90's and early 2000's
I would say we know several of the same people

Clodhopper":30augwut said:
Fought in a cage.

Me too...sorta. A make shift ring in a Lafayette La bar against a muzzled, drunk, taped paws black bear. That sucker whupped me down to a frazzle as a bunch of cajuns hoorawed me for getting such a beatdown, but a dozen more tried him too. The bear left there undefeated. Every time he fought, someone would give him a long neck and he could drink one down faster than any human ever could. That sucker stunk of bear pee and stale beer.

I too was hit by lightning when I was 15 or 16. Unhurt, but I ain't forgot it. It really really hurt.

Survived 2 USMC helicopter crashes, shot at many many times, burned from boot tops to both knees by JP-5. (don't believe it when someone says nomex is fire proof--it ain't)

kenny thomas":2j9h3xbs said:
TCRanch":2j9h3xbs said:
I golfed with Harmon Killebrew in a celebrity golf tournament hosted by Alice Cooper. I was horrible.

I do have the freakish ability to wrap my right leg behind my neck (my hips are double jointed).
As I told someone earlier, we gotta have pictures. :lol2:

Dignity is overrated but no way!

Man... Great subject and post Bigfoot! As I sit here and think about the question, so many things come to mind... I flew several combat missions... Survived a helicopter crash... Was invited to try out for both the Oakland Raiders and New York Jets when I graduated college (never made the draft though, and passed on the tryouts)... Actually met Donald Trump in 1986 as part of my business studies... etc., etc...

Wow, what a crew. You guys have listed some exciting things here.

I drove a NASCAR a few times. Fun, fun. Hit 170 MPH on the straight in Charlotte.

Met and talked to Bush Senior and Colin Powell. Bush is a very nice gentleman. Powell had other places he'd rather been.

Hit a truck on my motorcycle when I was 14. All the kids on the passing school buses told my mom my head got knocked off.

Held at gun point by two Houston police officers for about two hours while two other officers searched me and my brother and his truck about 10 times. We drove away. Scary, scary.

Did a spin and a barrel roll in a Cessna 150 flown by my dad. Made me sick as a dog, luckily got out of the plane first.

Went to the Sturgis rally a few times.

Cool thread.

greybeard":2j4eqtd6 said:
Clodhopper":2j4eqtd6 said:
Fought in a cage.

Me too...sorta. A make shift ring in a Lafayette La bar against a muzzled, drunk, taped paws black bear. That sucker whupped me down to a frazzle as a bunch of cajuns hoorawed me for getting such a beatdown, but a dozen more tried him too. The bear left there undefeated. Every time he fought, someone would give him a long neck and he could drink one down faster than any human ever could. That sucker stunk of bear pee and stale beer.

I too was hit by lightning when I was 15 or 16. Unhurt, but I ain't forgot it. It really really hurt.

Survived 2 USMC helicopter crashes, shot at many many times, burned from boot tops to both knees by JP-5. (don't believe it when someone says nomex is fire proof--it ain't)

Nomex ain't fire proof I have carried several dead men out of refining fires and explosions still talking.
I guess my most unusual is I was trained by NASA in Root Cause Failure Analysis
Investigated some mighty ugly explosions and fires.

greybeard":25kxr2o4 said:
Clodhopper":25kxr2o4 said:
Fought in a cage.

You win

greybeard":q33zfplx said:
Clodhopper":q33zfplx said:
Fought in a cage.

Other than the smell, I'd like to have taken a shot at that bear a few years back. You can keep the lightning and crashes though!

MoCrackerCowboy":1ncnnhdc said:
talltimber":1ncnnhdc said:
Dave":1ncnnhdc said:
I ran a trap line in Alaska one winter where I was 30-40 miles from the nearest human. I have fell some real big old growth trees. The biggest Douglas fir was 10 foot 8 inches in diameter inside the bark and probably had a foot of bark. The biggest cedar was 13 foot 5 inches in diameter. The biggest Sitka Spruce was over 8 foot. The tallest measured 264 feet to a 6 inch top. Rode a bunch of bareback broncs. Traveled at times with a couple of guys who were world champions. Tall timber you mentioned qualifying for the IFR. Was Dan Dailey still going then? He use to sleep on bedroom floor. Him and I shared more than a few bottles of whiskey.

He was wrapping up when I first started going to several IPRA's in the mid 90's. He was The Man in saddle bronc. But if a guy's partner in team roping was a no-show, then he would be one of the first one's a guy would need to try to get to fill in for him. He was a cowboy. Doggin, roped calves, team roper, Dan could do it all. Nice guy too, I thought, although I only spoke to him a couple of times.
Tall Timber do you know a dogger named Bubba Rhea he qualified for IFR a few times in the 90's and early 2000's
I would say we know several of the same people

I do, or did, we didn't stay in touch after I quit going, although Sherry and my wife ran into each other at barrel races for several years after and I would get an update.

Latest posts