What type of truck do you use for hauling?

Help Support CattleToday:

Another opinion of mine is dodge has kept there trucks the easiest out of the 3 to maintain, as far as changing filters and doing scheduled maintainece your self without paying a dealer. As far as ford go's I think there ok, I have heard of some pretty bad mileage on newer ones and they have priced their self out out of my range. If your looking at a older ford I will also say the 7.3 is one of the best pickup engines ever, second of course to any cummins.

M5farm":kgqoge25 said:
Denver I got your back till the rest of the mopar folks get off work.
Thanks, I understand rbb's thought, I just can't pay 10 to 15k more for a ford over a dodge and IMO not have as good of a truck. It's kinda like buying American made stuff, I try to as much as possible but sometimes you can't.

Their all good trucks anymore. Ford and GM are going to have a body style change shortly. If you can hold off on buying a new truck for a few years you'll be better off. They have all made the emissions, now they will start on fuel mileage. I owned all three makes of trucks in the last 10 years. The 7.3 Ford lasted 315k and cost 3k parts to keep it going for 6yrs. The Duramax has 170k and still going, had a couple of injectors put in under warranty and 6 u-joints. The only money out of pocket was for after market u-joints once the warranty ran out. The Dodge had AC problems, it would not cool at idle, put 3/8 pound of Freon in and it's fixed so far. The Dodge only has 55k on it so far so good. But the exhaust system has me worried, a message came up that said the exhaust filter was 70% full I don't know what the heck that's about. Had a friend of mines 09 Duramax exhaust filter plug up at 150k and it cost 1,600$ to get it fixed.
All I have left to say is good luck, and I hope you pick the right one out.

highgrit":3io2u9kk said:
Their all good trucks anymore. Ford and GM are going to have a body style change shortly. If you can hold off on buying a new truck for a few years you'll be better off. They have all made the emissions, now they will start on fuel mileage. I owned all three makes of trucks in the last 10 years. The 7.3 Ford lasted 315k and cost 3k parts to keep it going for 6yrs. The Duramax has 170k and still going, had a couple of injectors put in under warranty and 6 u-joints. The only money out of pocket was for after market u-joints once the warranty ran out. The Dodge had AC problems, it would not cool at idle, put 3/8 pound of Freon in and it's fixed so far. The Dodge only has 55k on it so far so good. But the exhaust system has me worried, a message came up that said the exhaust filter was 70% full I don't know what the heck that's about. Had a friend of mines 09 Duramax exhaust filter plug up at 150k and it cost 1,600$ to get it fixed.
All I have left to say is good luck, and I hope you pick the right one out.
Your exhaust filter is supposed to clean itself when it gets full, that is the only thing on my 6.7 that ever gave me an ounce of trouble was when it didn't on its own. As soon as your warranty is gone you need to get rid of your egr and get a chip in it. It will run better you will get about 5 to 7 better mpg and have even more power.

What's your budget? We can talk about dream trucks all day...

There are some great 6.0 L Chevy/ GM trucks that will get your pulling in the $10-15K range. There should be plenty of Dodge diesels in the $20-25K range with a few miles on them.

Another reason to buy a diesel if buying new is resale value. I have a friend that bought a new 4 door 4x4 diesel dodge daully in 2006 put 135k miles on it and IMO cosmetically and mechanically abused it and sold it last week for 26k new he paid 32k, 7 years and 130k miles for 6000$ is pretty cheap and makes new diesel trucks a good investment as far as vehicles go.

denvermartinfarms":3hipzdah said:
Another reason to buy a diesel if buying new is resale value. I have a friend that bought a new 4 door 4x4 diesel dodge daully in 2006 put 135k miles on it and IMO cosmetically and mechanically abused it and sold it last week for 26k new he paid 32k, 7 years and 130k miles for 6000$ is pretty cheap and makes new diesel trucks a good investment as far as vehicles go.

First, he bought it dirt cheap. How a dually can be that cheap, even 6 years ago, boggles my mind.

Second, there is a sucker born every minute.

Aaron":1j6p3kb0 said:
denvermartinfarms":1j6p3kb0 said:

First, he bought it dirt cheap. How a dually can be that cheap, even 6 years ago, boggles my mind.

I agree about him getting to much out of it, but that's what they were costing new then, I paid just over 30k for my regular cab just like it in 07.

denvermartinfarms":249z1eo1 said:
Aaron":249z1eo1 said:
denvermartinfarms":249z1eo1 said:

I agree about him getting to much out of it, but that's what they were costing new then, I paid just over 30k for my regular cab just like it in 07.

Its called inflation.... we talked about this on a tractor thread recently.

Aggs":xei9ekhl said:
First off, I'm Aggs. (if that isn't obvious) I am a Senior at New Mexico State University; Majoring in Agricultural Sciences. My family has a Cattle Ranch in Northern New Mexico.

Today my old Ford finally broke down. I had used this truck to Haul Cattle, Hay, and everything in-between. I was wondering if y'all had any ideas on what kind of truck I should buy next.

All help is appreciated.

-God Bless

Lots of different opinions on here, but since your a college student, do you have a certain price range? Those old Ford 7.3 diesels are hard to beat for hauling, but as ISO said, stay away from the 6.0 Fords. they are junk. the newer Duramax 07 and later are good, and the older Dodge Cummins is hard to beat.
I personally use a 96 Chevy 6.5 dually diesel for my big cattle loads & hay hauling , but also use my Dodge 2500 heavy duty 5.7 Hemi for anything up to 10,500lbs.

Unless you are a financially blessed college student I would look for either a GM 6.0 gas or Ford V10. With either one look for the lowest gears you can find. This will be 4:10 in the GM and 4:10 or 4:30 in the Ford. You can find these much cheaper than their diesel counter parts, and they do not cost $3,000 to $23,000 to repair when something breaks. Not trying to scare you away from a diesel, but one breakdown on anything newer than about 2003 can cost more than two semesters worth of tuition. If you can afford it then they are great.

If you do go with a gas a 6.0 Chevy is very hard to beat, but with any of the gas engines in these trucks don't expect anything over 13mpg empty at best, and 8 to 10 pulling.

denvermartinfarms":1odlayp6 said:

Must vary by location. I bought a 2005 3/4 ton 4x4 with cummins engine. 140,000 miles back in January. $12,500....spotless and have known the truck since original owner purchased it.

TexasBred":1unynn04 said:
denvermartinfarms":1unynn04 said:

Must vary by location. I bought a 2005 3/4 ton 4x4 with cummins engine. 140,000 miles back in January. $12,500....spotless and have known the truck since original owner purchased it.

That was a smoking deal.

I'm currently vehicle-less. I can't haul or even drive back to Las Cruces for school. I can spend 15,00-22,250 Tops. (with a little "donation" from my parents.)

Brute 23":28c7lv7l said:
TexasBred":28c7lv7l said:
denvermartinfarms":28c7lv7l said:

That was a smoking deal.
Yea you stole it.

Latest posts