What type of truck do you use for hauling?

Help Support CattleToday:

Aggs":2s2tw52l said:
I'm currently vehicle-less. I can't haul or even drive back to Las Cruces for school. I can spend 15,00-22,250 Tops. (with a little "donation" from my parents.)

Now that is tuff....when I was in college it was till "safe" to hitch hike. A good think too or I would never have got to come home.

What was your ford? And about what the heaviest load be that you would haul. You can get a good dependable 4x4 cummins for your price range if you look around.

denvermartinfarms":3ef5dnlb said:
That was a smoking deal.
Yea you stole it.[/quote]

I thought so too but we're old friends and I guess he just wanted to help me out. :nod: He bought a new loaded out half ton. Gooseneck hookup, trailer brakes, spare has never been on the ground, bed has a liner in it, a toolbox on the back..real sharp truck.

TexasBred":2t90w3e7 said:
denvermartinfarms":2t90w3e7 said:
Another reason to buy a diesel if buying new is resale value. I have a friend that bought a new 4 door 4x4 diesel dodge daully in 2006 put 135k miles on it and IMO cosmetically and mechanically abused it and sold it last week for 26k new he paid 32k, 7 years and 130k miles for 6000$ is pretty cheap and makes new diesel trucks a good investment as far as vehicles go.

Must vary by location. I bought a 2005 3/4 ton 4x4 with cummins engine. 140,000 miles back in January. $12,500....spotless and have known the truck since original owner purchased it.
Yea, I bought my 2002 F-350 Lariat, quad cab 4x4 with 140k on it and a 3 year old Hydrabed for $9k in June of last year.

Dodge with Cummins & 6 speed. Not the best for in town driving but to haul with IMHO the best. I've got a 2003 crew cab 4 x 4 Dually, just broken in at 170000 mi. New fuel pump & new water pump only problems. If you are going to haul a load diesel is the only way to go. Gassers just don't have the torque. :2cents:

Isomade":3ob5a2nu said:
4x4, and 6spd or auto?
He can barely dress himself, I'm going with Auto.

:lol2: :lol2: You know me too well....auto of course. You can't drive, drink and shift gears all at the same time. :shock:

dcarp":kh78s6zj said:
Dodge with Cummins & 6 speed. Not the best for in town driving but to haul with IMHO the best. I've got a 2003 crew cab 4 x 4 Dually, just broken in at 170000 mi. New fuel pump & new water pump only problems. If you are going to haul a load diesel is the only way to go. Gassers just don't have the torque. :2cents:

You need hp to move a load, torque just determines how much you need to rev the engine to get that hp. A gas motor with hp equal to your diesel can move a load just as fast, but it will have to rev higher do it.
Torque (Lb./Ft.) =

(HP x 5250)/
RPM

I'd buy a good used 02-06 Z71. It can be easily purased for $10K or less so your not getting in any kind of bind. They are a lot easier and cheaper to maintain than any of the diesel trucks.

What it can't haul.... let your family worry about. ;-)

Bought a 08 f250 for $8950.00 a few weeks ago. Not a power house just the 5.4 with auto extended cab short bed. May not pull with the diesels, but did not cost as much either.

Aggs":866qjr2p said:
I'm currently vehicle-less. I can't haul or even drive back to Las Cruces for school. I can spend 15,00-22,250 Tops. (with a little "donation" from my parents.)
You need to find the cheapest pile of crap that will get you from point A to point B. If hauling something is an absolute must then get the cheapest pile of crap that will haul something. Once you're weaned you can go buy whatever you can afford but if your folks are paying the tab, make it cheap.

cow pollinater":30xu8npk said:
Aggs":30xu8npk said:
You need to find the cheapest pile of crap that will get you from point A to point B. If hauling something is an absolute must then get the cheapest pile of crap that will haul something. Once you're weaned you can go buy whatever you can afford but if your folks are paying the tab, make it cheap.

I'll second that.

How much do you really need to tow/haul? I know it's "the in thing" to drive a 3/4 or 1 ton four wheel drive diesel, and yes, resale is good. But, initial cost plus repairs and maintenance make them an awfully expensive daily driver. If you pull heavy, and pull often they're probably worth the expense and trouble, if not, you're just driving them 'cause you like 'em - which is perfectly alright if you can afford it. But if you're trying to save money, a comparable gas truck will do pretty much the same thing and most of the time be cheaper in the long run.

I like this idea -
Brute 23":m4q8uwax said:
I'd buy a good used 02-06 Z71. It can be easily purased for $10K or less so your not getting in any kind of bind. They are a lot easier and cheaper to maintain than any of the diesel trucks.

What it can't haul.... let your family worry about. ;-)

All that said - I drove a 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel most of the time I was in college. Paid cash for it myself ($12K + my '81 F150 4x4 for a brand new '85 F250), and made good money hauling cattle while I wasn't going to classes. I didn't get much sleep, but at that age I didn't care. If you want to, and are able to do something like that, then I'd say try really hard to find one from someone you know and trust - a 200k mile truck that has been well maintained and hasn't had any major issues is usually as safe a bet (and cheaper) than a 100k mile one on a dealer lot that you don't know anything about. There are good and bad in every brand, but they're all 3 very capable trucks - my advice is to buy the truck you like, 'cause that's the one you'll be happiest with...

hillbilly beef man":ta0yryxm said:
dcarp":ta0yryxm said:

You need hp to move a load, torque just determines how much you need to rev the engine to get that hp. A gas motor with hp equal to your diesel can move a load just as fast, but it will have to rev higher do it.
Torque (Lb./Ft.) =

(HP x 5250)/
RPM

Although your formula is correct its all relative to the vehicle weight and gear ratios. It matters at what rpm the engine reaches its maximum torque and horsepower. For instance a 6.6L Duramax will make a maximum 397hp at 3000rpms and 765ft lbs of torque at 1600rpms. The Chevy Vortec 6.0 gas engine makes a maximum 360hp at 5400rpms and 380ft lbs of torque at 4200rpms. These numbers are the GM website for the 2014 3/4 tons. Basically the Duramax would walk off and leave the 6.0 with a load, but without a load it would be closer because the gas engine could reach higher rpms faster. Even if the gas engine was modified to make the same horsepower as the diesel the torque numbers will not be the same and require more rpm to achieve. Yes it would pull the same load at higher rpms but to do that you would have to ride around in 5th at over 3000 rpms while the diesel was riding around in 6th at 2000 rpms pulling the same weight. The diesels power curve is at a lower rpm. That's why diesels usually last longer. They don't have to turn as many rpms to do the same work.

I'd consider a single axle road tractor with a day cab. They can be found, in good shape, for under 10K.
Plenty of power to move cattle or equipment.

Latest posts