What type of truck do you use for hauling?

Help Support CattleToday:

Aggs

Reaction score
First off, I'm Aggs. (if that isn't obvious) I am a Senior at New Mexico State University; Majoring in Agricultural Sciences. My family has a Cattle Ranch in Northern New Mexico.

Today my old Ford finally broke down. I had used this truck to Haul Cattle, Hay, and everything in-between. I was wondering if y'all had any ideas on what kind of truck I should buy next.

All help is appreciated.

-God Bless

aggs, your going to get alot of bias when it comes to trucks those of us that have matured and realize what a work truck is drive dodges the others drive fords and chebbys.

M5farm":2sffjqrs said:
aggs, your going to get alot of bias when it comes to trucks those of us that have matured and realize what a work truck is drive dodges the others drive fords and chebbys.
What type of Dodge do you use?

TennesseeTuxedo":3iob455r said:
Ford, Dodge, Chevy in that order.

Ford Chevy Dodge for me ... Dodge has a good motor I can give them that but the weak link is the tranny... If they started using a ford or chevy tranny I may buy 1

I would say that the GMC 2500 HD Duramax Diesel with the Allison Transmission would be a tough truck to beat with what you are describing as far as your needs go.

Aggs, are you using the truck to tow a trailer or do you mean a truck with tray?
I use an Isuzu FSR, it has a 20' tray and a payload of 6 tonne. I have a crate that I can take off that I use for hauling cattle and the flat top for hauling hay, fertilizer etc.
It is a very good truck, has a bit of age 1994 model and 400,000km but has plenty of power, is comfortable to drive and is very reliable.
Ken

TN Cattle Man":37z3wxr8 said:
I would say that the GMC 2500 HD Duramax Diesel with the Allison Transmission would be a tough truck to beat with what you are describing as far as your needs go.
Swap the duramax with a vortex 6.0 and we have a winner, but you have to get the 4.10 rear end. ;-) :nod:

wbvs58":2vf30u5s said:
Aggs, are you using the truck to tow a trailer or do you mean a truck with tray?
I use an Isuzu FSR, it has a 20' tray and a payload of 6 tonne. I have a crate that I can take off that I use for hauling cattle and the flat top for hauling hay, fertilizer etc.
It is a very good truck, has a bit of age 1994 model and 400,000km but has plenty of power, is comfortable to drive and is very reliable.
Ken
I need both.

TN Cattle Man":344n6mo2 said:

I have the Chevy version of that.

I've been using this....

IMAG1233.jpg

But I'm thinking about getting something a little more fancy.

Dodge,Chevy,ford, would be my order, but I will say that I am not so narrow minded that I wouldn't at least consider all of the 3. I would not buy any new truck that wasn't diesel, and I would buy a dodge because you can still get one with a Manuel 6 speed, with that and deleting the egr you can get 22mpg plus. Also I am pretty sure on a new dodge with a bed you still don't have def this year, that would be a big plus IMO.

Depends, are you buying new or used? All of the big 3 auto makers have good and bad years. You couldn't melt me down and pour me in a 6.0 Ford, but if I was buying new today it would be a Ford, I currently haul with a 7.3 Ford and it's great. The Chevy diesel was terrible till the Duramax, but even then I would want at least an 09 and ONLY with the ALLISON tranny.

Latest posts