Anyone use a Uship shipper for a tractor?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
May have found a good used tractor but 600 plus miles away. Anyone use a Uship shipper?

Dealer is supposed to quote shipping but wanted to compare. I hate to go that far myself. I got some quotes in Uship that are as cheap as $2 a mile.
Just trying to compare.

I have used different shippers to get equipment from auctions a good bit. Only thing I will say is if they tell you it will be there Tuesday at 10 you will likely see it Friday at 4. Other than that no problems. Most of the time I can get it shipped cheaper than I can go get it. Got a tractor from MO to my door in VA for just over $1 a mile last year.

Just make sure whoever you hire has the proper license, insurance, and paperwork and everything is up to date and current.

There's a case around here of a trucker hauling a combine. It was heavily damaged in transport. Turns out the truckers insurance wasn't current so now the buyer is in court hoping to get blood from a rock.

Wonder what the legal issues would be if I went from KY to PA to get it myself with a truck with farm tags and gooseneck trailer?
The way I read things a DOT number would be required over a 150 from farm.

Last edited:
I used Uship to have a dozer shipped from NW Tennessee to NE Texas. Site is very easy to use and I felt like I got the best deal possible. Think bidders started at $1,500 and I ended up paying $800. Seems like it did take a week to get the dozer though.

Wonder what the legal issues would be if I went from KY to PA to get it myself with a truck with farm tags and gooseneck trailer?
Pretty sure a DOT number is required to go out of state no matter how many miles. But that being said i hauled one last year from Missouri through Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, to Tennessee. Never ever stop at a scales. Most troopers just consider that you are a farmer in the same state.

I've heard too many horror stories about PA that I'll never take a dual tandem trailer there again. Wife's father bought a tractor from PA a few years back, I had the seller deliver along with another piece of equipment for someone else to just inside the VA line and I picked it up from there.

If it is your equipment on your truck and trailer there should be no issue as long as you are talking DMV issued tags not farm use on either vehicle. You are not a commercial hauler and do not fall under commercial regulation. Notice none of those big campers have DOT numbers. You do have to meet GVW requirements but that is all.This has been talked about on here several times. I like Kenny have hauled stuff all over the country and honestly sometimes blurred the lines a bit. Don't have signs and lights all over your truck, have everything chained down well, and make sure your vehicles look and are road worthy.

All that being said unless you are in a hurry or want to see it before you own it I bet cost wise if you value your time at all you can get it shipped cheaper than you can go get it. If insurance is a concern insure it thru your farm policy before you ship.

I have used this guy a good bit and he has always been well priced but timing is usually not as precise as I would like.

Jack
G n G transport
256-929-7877

Why would I want my insurance to cover the equipment when it is cargo in someone else's possession?

If something happens to it why should my rate and premiums be affected?

Finding a fully insured hauler is not hard. Making a quick call to make sure it's all valid is a 5 minute phone call away...

I've used U-ship to have some pieces of tillage equipment shipped. I was very satisfied. Mine arrived within a few hours of the quoted time both times. Wouldn't hesitate to use it again

I just purchased a Komatsu PC78 excavator, the same as the one that burnt up last summer. Dealer we bought from got a quote to ship where we wanted for $2375 + taxes. Company that won the bid called me a short time later and said to skip Uship as they charged to much for their services. The bill direct from trucker is $1900 + tax.
I would agree $475 is a bit excessive.

Latest posts