What type of truck do you use for hauling?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hondac":3w5370h8 said:
I'd consider a single axle road tractor with a day cab. They can be found, in good shape, for under 10K.
Plenty of power to move cattle or equipment.
I would to if he was just hauling, but not a daily driver IMO.

Hondac":34dqczy8 said:
I'd consider a single axle road tractor with a day cab. They can be found, in good shape, for under 10K.
Not to be a smart Alec, but probably not what he needs for a daily driver, though it probably would be the coolest vehicle of anyone else at collage. And in a lot of other cases what people need, I have said that for a long time.

denvermartinfarms":34a6s0w7 said:
Hondac":34a6s0w7 said:
Not to be a smart Alec, but probably not what he needs for a daily driver, though it probably would be the coolest vehicle of anyone else at collage. And in a lot of other cases what people need, I have said that for a long time.
Beings he is in college a sleeper cab might come in handy......

Dave":6kai6zox said:
denvermartinfarms":6kai6zox said:
Hondac":6kai6zox said:
Beings he is in college a sleeper cab might come in handy......

If I had thought of that in college I probally would not have graduated.....

We don't have to haul huge loads: 16 ft. stock trailer; 18 ft. flatbed; 19 ft. travel trailer. I am very happy w/ our '06 Dodge 2500, Cummins, 6 speed manual, 4X4. It's a good puller, gets good mileage, it's comfortable, and it's pretty quiet.

denvermartinfarms":vacydpfg said:
kerley":vacydpfg said:
Dodge/Cummins 3/4 T 4x4 5 speed tran.
2001K and still serving me very well.
Wanna sell it :lol2: my dad wants one like that to see what all he can do to it for mileage.
I get 14 mpg pulling my Fetherlite GN. I talk to guys that claim 20 mpg running empty but I have never got it. I've got 201K and she still runs strong but I need to spend some money on her.

kerley":1af68sjz said:
denvermartinfarms":1af68sjz said:
kerley":1af68sjz said:
Dodge/Cummins 3/4 T 4x4 5 speed tran.
2001K and still serving me very well.
Wanna sell it :lol2: my dad wants one like that to see what all he can do to it for mileage.
I get 14 mpg pulling my Fetherlite GN. I talk to guys that claim 20 mpg running empty but I have never got it. I've got 201K and she still runs strong but I need to spend some money on her.
Kerley, on the highway, running empty, I've gotten as high as 22.1 miles/gallon in the '06 2500. Get's way better mileage then our little Jeep Cherokee. Only have 56K miles on it, so I expect it will be the last truck I own.

Kathie, 22-23mpg. sounds about right if you don't drive hard. My brother has a 06 2500 Dodge 2WD. and that's what he gets. When I drive his truck 17-19mpg. is the best I can get. And that's if the traffic is bad. His Dodge only gets 13-14mpg. at 90mph. Slow pokes need to keep right, because I am in a hurry. When I travel I like to average 65-70mph. and that's with fuel and food stops.

highgrit":j9yiknjl said:
Kathie, 22-23mpg. sounds about right if you don't drive hard. My brother has a 06 2500 Dodge 2WD. and that's what he gets. When I drive his truck 17-19mpg. is the best I can get. And that's if the traffic is bad. His Dodge only gets 13-14mpg. at 90mph. Slow pokes need to keep right, because I am in a hurry. When I travel I like to average 65-70mph. and that's with fuel and food stops.
Highgrit, mine's 4X4 and manual tranny. I don't drive 90 mph. WA speed limit is 70; 65 in OR; 75 in ID. That's where I travel. I usually set cruise about 3 notches above legal. Pulling, I seldom set cruise unless I'm on straight and flat -- too much can happen too fast with a load -- and out here, there isn't a lot of straight/flat.

96 Chevy 2500 7.4 gas, it is all the truck I need 4X4, I did blow the doors off a Ford diesel on a hill, I was towing a 20ft gooseneck
stock and he was towing a lawn mower trailer , I get the same milage towing as empty, paid $13,9 for it in 03 with 60,000 miles on it ,has the 8ft bed exstended cab it just now has over 100.000 miles on it and still going strong
Suzanne

suzorse":24d7gq36 said:
96 Chevy 2500 7.4 gas, it is all the truck I need 4X4, I did blow the doors off a Ford diesel on a hill, I was towing a 20ft gooseneck
stock and he was towing a lawn mower trailer , I get the same milage towing as empty, paid $13,9 for it in 03 with 60,000 miles on it ,has the 8ft bed exstended cab it just now has over 100.000 miles on it and still going strong
Suzanne
The 454 will make a lot of modern V-8 diesel motors look like pony motors.

sim.-ang.king":17rpqx3j said:
suzorse":17rpqx3j said:
Suzanne
The 454 will make a lot of modern V-8 diesel motors look like pony motors.
While they run :lol2:, no not even then.

wbvs58":2v9j2qwd said:
Aggs, are you using the truck to tow a trailer or do you mean a truck with tray?
I use an Isuzu FSR, it has a 20' tray and a payload of 6 tonne. I have a crate that I can take off that I use for hauling cattle and the flat top for hauling hay, fertilizer etc.
It is a very good truck, has a bit of age 1994 model and 400,000km but has plenty of power, is comfortable to drive and is very reliable.
Ken

Do you have any pictures to share of the set up? for hauling cattle/hauling hay etc?

saltbranch":qmk7wd4f said:
wbvs58":qmk7wd4f said:
Aggs, are you using the truck to tow a trailer or do you mean a truck with tray?
I use an Isuzu FSR, it has a 20' tray and a payload of 6 tonne. I have a crate that I can take off that I use for hauling cattle and the flat top for hauling hay, fertilizer etc.
It is a very good truck, has a bit of age 1994 model and 400,000km but has plenty of power, is comfortable to drive and is very reliable.
Ken

Do you have any pictures to share of the set up? for hauling cattle/hauling hay etc?
Almost could remind you of a mr Haney setup huh :lol2: .

I have an 07 gmc 2500HD LBCC 8 ft bed diesel 4x4 and tow a not overly heavy 30+8' gooseneck flatbed. Soon to ad a 14-16' hydraulic dump trailer to the inventory.

I have never had any real issues with the truck. Bought it with 150K, I have 185K now. If I really drive 55 on cruise, I get 21mpg. Towing the trailer I think it was 17-18. I love my cruise control and my trailer tow button. It's a cadillac ride with a bed and it's quiet.

I have a 1996 Dodge Cummins 12 valve for a ranch truck..tough as nails...I won't be replacing her til she falls apart on me...that may be awhile... :D

Latest posts