What to do with dry hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

Saltydawg

Reaction score
I have some hay that I couldnt get up in time and it's turned brown and dried out on me :( .

I cut it thursday and was gonna bale it up saturday. It rained real hard saturday and these are wet fields anyhow so it didn't dry again till yesterday but had other things happening and just plain couldnt get it up.
Now i go out today and have the time to bale it and it's all brown and dry and leaves all shriveled up to nothing.

I have enough other hay to get me through the winter so i don't really need this hay.....I just don't know what to do with it.
I have to get it off the fields or it'll clump up and i won't be able to cut again later this year.

What would you do with 400 small square bales of dried up hay not suitable for feed?

Saltydawg":1xaba2y2 said:
400 small square bales of dried up hay not suitable for feed?

Unless it's moldy or rotten, there isn;t anything that isn;t suitable for feed.

dun

You have to either run over the field and chop it and blow it back onto the field.... or use the fuel and bale it up. Like dun said, unless it's REALLY bad, you can feed it. We've done that in the past, just rotate with the good stuff, and don't use it during the coldest days of the winter.

Hay is gonna be in short supply this year. Folks on lawn grass or road crew will buy it to blow for erosion control. I'd just feed it myself a little at a time. BTW cows will eat baled sawbriars with a little molasses poured over it.

Saltydawg":398nbcir said:
What would you do with 400 small square bales of dried up hay not suitable for feed?

Bale it, grind it, and feed it to the cows.

If you really do have enough already for your own needs, then offer to someone who is in need at your cost to bale it, or whatever profit you wouldn't feel to guilty about.

Bama":2rco7d98 said:
Hay is gonna be in short supply this year. Folks on lawn grass or road crew will buy it to blow for erosion control. I'd just feed it myself a little at a time. BTW cows will eat baled sawbriars with a little molasses poured over it.

Where did you find sawbriars to bale? Mine have dried up and died.

Rolling about 40 acres today. Its fescue and bermuda. The fescue is dry but the bermuda is in fairly good shape. I just hope I get a little rain so the fields can recover from cutting.

If your sure that you've got enough hay then just let it go back into the soil. You could even run a shredder over it to break it up and spread it out some.

It will still have some feed value to it even though it isn't nice and green. Like dun said, as long as there is no mold, it will be okay. It will still push a turd.

Just feed it along with some better hay and get the energy out of it.