What order do I need to go Fertilize-Spray-Mow

Help Support CattleToday:

Newcutter

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out in what order I need to go Fertilize-Spray-Mow.

Yes, and after you n mow fertilize again. We have one bermuda field we cut 4 times a year, sometimes 5 if the rains hit right. We test the day we cut it, and re-apply according to specs after we get the hay off of it at every cutting. Burn it in February, apply 24d and liquid nitro in March, and the potassium and phosphorous, and any other minerals needed in April.

Would you mow it before you sprayed or after. I live in east Texas,

Would you mow it before you sprayed or after. I live in east Texas,
Cut the leaves off and you have nothing to take in the herbicides….but that in itself might take care of the weed.

Again…what is your purpose for the application info you seek? What are you fertilizing, spraying and mowing? And what are you trying to achieve? Grazing, haying, or cow pasture pool?

Except for the Nitrogen the other parts of fertilizer can take up to 3 months to really work. Spread whenever, spray when its tender. Mow when you want it to look pretty.

Little bit of everything, mostly weeds berries vines and poison ivy just name a few, and yes there are a few woody plants

Little bit of everything, mostly weeds berries vines and poison ivy just name a few, and yes there are a few woody plants
Definitely don't shred. It's best to spray plants that have not been stressed by shredding or any thing else for a couple years prior to spraying. Then, after you spray them, leave them standing until they break over naturally. They are not truely dead until that happens.

A lot of people will see all the leaves burned off and then go shred it to make the pasture look pretty. They completely wasted the money they spent.

What type of herbicide would you use, also would you fertilize at the same time. This is all new to me

What type of herbicide would you use, also would you fertilize at the same time. This is all new to me
The good stuff will require an applicators license.

Find a local co-op or feed store and see if they have applicator trucks or trailers or know of a company in the area that does it. They will come out and see what you want to kill, pull soil samples, and customize a reccomendation for you. They can give you a quote on the chemicals and application along with when to spray for best results.

Ask as many questions as possible while you have them on the payroll. One day you may want to get the license so you can apply it yourself.

I like to spray herbicide first then fertilize a couple weeks later. I don't want to feed the weeds.
I think it depends on the weed and the herbicide. For instance, if the herbicide is 24D, then you want the plant growing well (not necessarily P and K, but definitely N).

24D affects the plant's normal growth regulation and causes it to essentially over-grow and die.